How To Become A Modder

simplywayne90

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
I noticed a number of recent posts asking questions about getting started modding, tools and such, which would probably be answered by this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed a number of recent posts asking questions about getting started modding, tools and such, which would probably be answered by this thread.

Agreed, and with the recent surge of players lately I've come back for a short while to check on things like this thread. I'm glad its still helping people but It should be stickyed one of these days.

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, I'd like this to be a sticky too. Even when searching for the words in the title from this forum it was doewn on the 6th page.

@simplywayne90

Can you update the link to GECK-pu in the first post please?

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=41642 <-- The post 1.3 patch fork

Edit:

And as loads of people are still getting the old 1.1 GECK by mistake.

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/downloads/updates-GECK-fnv-eula.php <-- GECK for 1.3

Edited by tunaisafish

How does a thread like this get to be a sticky? I have to admit, that thread on fixing hats was pretty great I don't think I'd have got them to work in NV without reading it in complete detail, especially that horrible problem with update facegen that can really mess you up :D

But there is an awful lot of material here that I could say is invaluable to a beginner. I never messed with doing textures outside of the BSA extractions I've started doing recently, but if/when I did want to make a custom texture I'd start at the beginning of this thread and review all the posts regarding tools, tutorials and tips.

Should we use the report button and request it be stickied?

Edited by drakeelvin

• 4 months later...

First, the customary "great thread" comment. 1,2,3, Great Thread! http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/biggrin.gif

Second, do we have some accumulation of Custom Race Creation information?

I know there's the most basic stuff you can find around, from TES Construcion Set wiki linked to earlier, and that's relatively painless to understand in Fallout/NV terms.

I can make a custom race myself, by copying an existing one, renaming it, etc, and have it show up in chargen. However, what I'm looking for is how to add in Fallout: NV some specific attribute/SPECIAL changes to a custom race to make them stand out from a vanilla/human-in-their-twenties-to-thirties. Anybody have any ideas how to do that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The race is just one Trait in the Actor/NPC object, and race deals with physical appearance only.

SPECIAL attributes are determined by the Class (also an Actor Value) so when you create a new NPC object you assign the Race for basic physical appearance, and assign the Class for the particular SPECIAL and Tag skills. If you examine the vanilla humanoid companions like Cass and Veronica, for example, you see they each have their own Class so their SPECIAL are unique to them, but it has nothing to do with their race as far as GECK is concerned.

Other unique attributes are typically handled through Perks or Scripts or a combination of both. They need to be applied to the Actor base object or sometimes a specific instance.

If you want unique physical appearance attributes, such as unique eyes, hair, etc., these of course are handled within the Race object. Hair for example is created in the "Character" -> Hair drop down menu. Once it's created you drag and drop it to the list in the Race window. Once you've done that you can go back to your Actor / NPC object window and GECK will allow you to choose the hair you added.

A couple of NPC's I've worked on had a unique, non-playable race created for them so they could be made to look unique. I suppose in one sense you could think of the Race, Class and NPC objects as parts of a whole, but it doesn't change how GECK deals with them.

Hope that helps some.

Edited by drakeelvin