⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

How To Become A Modder

simplywayne90

Special Thanks To Sputnik421 for messaging me this thread with some highly praised tutorials inside,

The First is for MAX

And the Second can likely be used in Blender.

Low ploy Wire rope

I've already edited the tutorials into the list but I felt that some may benifit from the original thread as well.

Edited by simplywayne90

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thread! This will be extremly useful for me! Thank you very much! Do you know of any good Dialogue and Quest making Tutorials? I once found this pretty good tutorial for FO3 before but It got to a point when I was not sure what he was doing. Im pretty good with the geck, just not with quest's yet. Im already working on a mod that increases the Mojave. Its not going to be from the outpost because I know theres a lot of mods that extend from there. Nowing how to make quest would be great so I could through a little more into the mod. Thanks again. :)

Special Thanks To Sputnik421 for messaging me this thread with some highly praised tutorials inside,

The First is for MAX

And the Second can likely be used in Blender.

Low ploy Wire rope

I've already edited the tutorials into the list but I felt that some may benifit from the original thread as well.

No Problem Wayne. I was thinking about digging this thread back to the top myself, but you were online so sent you a PM You had it sorted it much quicker than I could have. I hope they help some people, from the comments in that thread I think both are applicable to Blender. Although as I don't do Blender, I would ask baduk or Alan to confirm that.

Hi!

Yes the rope texture tutorial works fine for blender users also.

It is sort of an advanced tutorial tho cause it isnt too explicit about how to do the modeling or rendering in max or blender.

Really nice results tho :D

On my rendered texture base i used the other tutorials on that page for adding depth and then making it horizontally tileable.

Then. Since it is a rope i recommend to make just a simple cylinder and create the uv right away.

You get one rope segment with a tiling texture on it so you can extend it by just adding a duplicate to the end.

Also the uv map is a simple rectangle and that can be helpful later on.

Subdivide it horizontally later and then you can use any number of methods to deform the rope into knots or bends or loops or coils.

Edited by baduk

Hi. We have a gentleman working on models for a project. Mostly western building, but also a train. He is using Autocad 07 and we are trying to find a way to use them in NV. He has figured out how to export as a mesh, load into 3ds max, and export as .STL format which loads into blender. I use blender to export it as a nif.

But it has no texture block. When I add one block->insert->bethesda->BSShaderTExtureSet. I don't see anyway to get the texture paths in there. Knowing absolutely nothing about 3D modeling I'm really out of my depth here. I was hoping someone might be able to offer suggestions or a link to a tutorial. My google searches have proved disappointing to say the least.

Here are a couple of pics of the nif from teh converted STL.

http://img233.imageshack.us/i/import1.jpg/

http://img13.imageshack.us/i/import2p.jpg/

I have been using blender to do my uv mapping but I wondered if anybody had a good tutorial for 3DS max UV mapping

It seems like I saw a ton of 3DS tutorials while updating my resources with the ones from Oblivion, try TESnexus and go to modders resources/tutorials and look around and see if theres any good tutorials that may be useful.

Was gonna start a new thread about this, but here it might get read by someone new who may need this IMPORTANT INFO.

NAVEMSHES and REGION ZONES:

Now I am not an expert and maybe someone could add some details about. But I am specifically talking about the outside world.

The first thing a new modder should consider is where to build. And then open up GECK and Look for the green lines. Try not to build on top of those lines, and give yourself a little room to work with, because at some point your going to have to

re-navmesh the area. You will save countless hours by staying away from the boundary points because if you make a mistake and accidently, or on purpose delete a node connected to the zone, you may wind up breaking the Region. What it means is NPC characters have to walk all the around to a good zone to cross into another. so by break one, the character will travel 3 sectors around to get in. I have searched High and Low for the ability to recreate these zones and still have not been able to undo it once its broken.

As a modder what it means is that if you realized you broke it, and your a month into it, goodluck. I had to recreate my outside world space twice because of this. Ofcourse I got a huge building, and it stradles 6 zones. Im not moving, I love my location so its something that I live with. I bring this up now, because I was redoing some navmeshes again for the outside this morning, and broke one AGAIN :wallbash: so I lost 2 hours of work, because I didnt save. I just wrapped the last bit, and put everything back, but Its a total creation killer when you have to redo something for not being VERY DILIGENT. Take Precautions and you may not have such a hard time. I now save just about every mouse click when Im working close to these things. Also one thing I found helpful, is add nodes to the inside of the zone, and then remove the triangle that connects to new node to one node away from the zone i'll get a screenshot to describe this.

Anyway good luck to all new modders

Cheers.

Edited by Floatsup