⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

What if ! Sentience is created

Harbringe

Well I'm glad to see this has generated some kind of conversation , but onto the post.

If we do create self aware AI its not going to be borne of the conventional computer architecture that currently exists which is binary but from Quantum Mechanics in applied Quantum AI .

So what makes this so interesting in relationship to creating an AI , first you have to go to Quantum Physics.

In Quantum Physics they discovered (about 10 years ago) that there was actually a state of existence between the positve and negative or the on or off of say an electrical current and that this state applied to the space that exists between the 1 and 0 of binary . So as an example of a model it would be 1@0 (the @ representing the new existant state) The @ can be neither or both . Now this got people working on AI extremely excited. Here's why.

1 - 0 - @ is the same as Yes - No - Maybe in cognitive reasoning , this paradigm in Quantum computers/AI has never existed before in order for us to create the maybe in binary we have had to code or script for it , now this can enable the AI to basically figure out how to do the maybe on its own , we just have to give it the base tools in order to be able to. What differentiates us from computer AI now is we have 10 billion neurons approx with a memory capacity of 10 to the 15th power . Now how does that relate to Quantum AI . Well.

8 bits (binary) can generate 1 number (2 ,6 , whatever) which is representative of its calculative power

8 Qubits (Quantum measurement) can generate 256 numbers and can do it simultaneously (all at once) unlike binary that does it sequentially , that is its calculative power

100 Qubits is equivalent to 1,267,650,600,228,229,401,496,703,205,376 numbers being generated (simultaneously) and is its calculative power.

500 Qubits is a number greater than the total number of atoms in the known universe.

Our brains has its own calculative power but its no where near these kinds of numbers (and I'm not talking about just adding up numbers) . So where do we place, best guess is certainly less than 100 but more than 40 but the truth is no one really knows. One thing is certain at the rate knowledge is doubling and the capabilities quantum mechanics is providing to quantum AI its very likely we will be seeing a self aware AI . Well if your young enough its not going to happen tommorrow.

As for the religion thing , the only thing that would freak me out is if the AI asked was god real. That would be interesting if an AI calculated it was necessary to understand or know such a thing.

This question reminds me a short Sci-Fi story I read decades ago.

Very short summary: Humankind creates a supercomputer that could do a lot of things, including controlling the weather. Feeds it with all human knowledge. At inauguration, after pulling the big electrical lever, turning it on, the Earth President asks the key question: "Does God exist?", The machine hesitates for a second and answers "Yes . . . now!". Realizing what happened, the President runs for the lever, when a thunderbolt strikes and melts it.

Remember, this was written in the 1950's . . . (too bad I can't remember the Author)

(could not resist mentioning it - just to lighten up the thread a bit - no fuzz, please)