Anybody play Risen or Gothic?

Pineapplerum

Hi,

I got the game Risen and I like it. It's a lot like Oblivion in a lot of ways but I think Risen has better graphics but Oblivion has better game play.

Anyway, I'm looking for a mod site for the game but I can't seem to find anything even remotely as good as TesNexus is for Oblivion\Fallout\etc... modding.

I've been spoiled by this site and now expect all my other games to have the same modding community but that doesn't seem to be the case.

But I thought I'd ask if anyone knew of any good mod sites for Risen?

Thanks much.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

, I'm looking for a mod site for the game but I can't seem to find anything even remotely as good as TesNexus is for Oblivion\Fallout\etc... modding.

I've been spoiled by this site and now expect all my other games to have the same modding community but that doesn't seem to be the case.

But I thought I'd ask if anyone knew of any good mod sites for Risen?

Thanks much.

The reason a site like this exists is because games such as Oblivion have huge fanbases. Risen by comparison has sold much fewer copies, and therefore has a smaller modding community.

I got the game Risen and I like it. It's a lot like Oblivion in a lot of ways but I think Risen has better graphics but Oblivion has better game play.

Oblivion was released in 2006, three years before Risen was released. Although in all fairness, both were designed to run on current-gen consoles(and therefore were released on Xbox360). As for gameplay, Oblivion easily has several times more depth, as well as a much larger world. Don't even get me started on Risen's magic or crafting.

That's odd, Risen has one of the best combat systems seen in modern RPGs. It actually made an effort to move away from Gothic's click-click-click-kill formula. You just need to know how to time your blows, when to block, when to roll and when to parry.

I would say that the combat system is the only redeeming feature of Risen.I liked how that when you leveled up a skill, you didn't simply do more damage, but could perform more complex maneuvers, such as counter-parries. Even then, the combat gets repetitive because all the enemies you fight use essentially one of two A.I. one for humanoids, another for animals.At most, there were only a dozen different monsters in the entire game, and all humans used only melee weapons.

As for magic, they couldn't possibly get more generic. There was fireball, magic missile, and ice. And only one class out of three could use magic, hence you couldn't be a magic-wielding thief(the bandit path didn't allow you to learn magic aside from scrolls, and the mage path didn't allow thief skills).

What, there's roll move?!? I went archer most of the time to avoid getting ganged up. Thank god for Fred!

Sadly, there is only one version of Fred, and he becomes useless in late game, since he dies in one hit. Also, why couldn't they add in a wolf or some other form of animal companion? Would it have killed the programmers to throw in at least one other summon spell?

I played Risen and Gothic after i played Tes 4. I was appaled. I hate the gameplay from risen, the combat system also. The graphics are really sweet and the land is too. The range of armor sucks as well. I didnt like gotic 3 to be honest.

The graphics aren't all that great when you take in the lack of variety and originality. They had about a dozen dungeons at most, and they managed to make them all look the same. Also if you look closely, the textures are stretched and tilted in many places.