Halp getting started

Rangaros

Alright, so I decided to pick up Oblivion once more, but as usual the initial setting up is giving me a headache. You see, I have a pretty "meh" computer, so I try to do as many optimizations as possible to have the game running smoothly with at least decent graphical options, but there's just SO. MUCH. STUFF. nowadays I just have no idea. It used to be that I'd get OBSE, OBMM, and the Unofficial Oblivion Patch, for starters. At some point later I found that 4GB patch thing (which I don't even remember what for), and that was about it. The rest was just actual mods. Some simple to install, some a bit more complicated, but if a mod needs a particular tool to be installed, they tell you so. Of course I had countless headaches with mod compatibility and stuff AFTERWARDS, but at least I could get started.

Now I'm finding there's like a million pluggins for OBSE and other weird patches and performance-improvers and whatnot. Many times you have to choose one or the other, also. And half the stuff I find through links I can't even tell exactly what it is. Most of them talk about extending functionalities of this or that, but that sounds like it'd be for modders, if anything. Why do I need extended functionality for something if I don't have any mod that makes use of it? And if I do, wouldn't they say so in the mod page itself?

I've been also reading that Wrye Bash is overall superior as a "mod manager" so I wanna try and learn that one too. Honestly the last games I played I used NMM and it seemed to work wonders. It made backups everytime you made a change so nothing ever broke, etc, but I keep reading bad things about it now.

So overall I'd just like some comments and opinions on "what the heck should I get" before I even start getting actual content mods. I wanna be as covered as possible, I don't exactly want "essentials" only, but I don't wanna get everything there is just cause, when it might not do anything for me at all. Oh and I'm basically using all DLC and extra stuff, which I'm ALSO finding patches for, so there's that.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrye Bash ... read the two readme.html files found in the Mopy\Docs folder after you've extracted it.

OBSE version 0021 ... many mods will require it.

Blockhead ... OBSE plugin, the next on the list requires it.

Oblivion Character Overhaul version 2 ... latest state of the art for faces.

Seamless series of replacers ... see the links found on the Seamless Equipment page.

Oblivion Reloaded ... if your hardware can handle it, this is the latest state of the art for graphics.

Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul ... latest state of the art for overhauls.

About Oblivion Reloaded:

It's The Next Generation of the OBGE FX plugin. Forgot about the not-too-long-ago "imprescindible" and omnipresent OBGE. Oblivion Reloaded is its successor and while it's not yet finished, right now it not only works better than the latest OBGE, but even offers more options and has a lesser (yet still noticeable) impact on performance.

It doesn't combine well with ENBs, so before you put any ENB on your game, first try the diverse options OR includes. Most likely you will find ENB redundant.

Oblivion Stutter Remover is a fairly imprescindible tool for low-to-medium end computers, too.

Cheers!

PS: I did not put any link because I'm in a hurry.

PS2: no, I won't start doing weird things here in this thread, I promise.

Interesting, most of that is what I was looking at, except Oblivion Reloaded, I'll have to see how much it affects performance. And that whole seamless set is kinda what I was looking for just now. Generally I don't care too much for improved graphical effects, but I do care about better textures, and that's also the one thing my computer seems to have little problem handling.

So what about, for example, MenuQue, or Universal Silent voice? Those are other OBSE pluggins I've seen recommended, but I'm not even sure if I'd need them or they'd be for specific mods or what.

Edit: I'm also going a bit crazy looking at body replacers and textures. Like, I don't understand exactly all I need. There's body replacers, individually for male and female, better textures for said body replacers, armor replacers for said body replacers... I'm getting kinda confused here. From what I gather Oblivion Character Overhaul v2 should take care of everything head-related, but the body part doesn't seem so simple.

Edited by Rangaros

I'd wait until installing a mod that requires those. HUD Status Bars is popular, and requires MenuQue, but if you don't use one of the realism mods (e.g. Basic Primary Needs) you won't have much use for it (well beyond changing the look of your vanilla HUD if you are one of those "everything must look, taste and feel like Skyrim" types). OBSE -Elys- Universal Silent Voice is required by mods that don't include silent voice files so that their text dialogue doesn't disappear before you can read it, but until a mod that requires it is installed it's not required.

Hey, Rangaros!

About OCO v2, Body Replacers and the Seamless Series, HERE'S EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW (and do). Get some popcorn and booze before reading it, and some motion sickness medicine because there are some curves in the trip.

LOL ... don't believe a word he PS's Rangeros.

Hi Ike ... :tongue:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/41/Vulcannervepinch.jpg

Cheers!

Alright, I'm getting somewhere. So much to read D:

My main issue now is that I gotta learn how to use Wrye Bash before I can even do anything, lol. But I'm wondering, can you install anything with Wrye Bash, or am I gonna need OBMM or NMM for certain mods? And for load order, I suppose I should use BOSS?