Halp getting started

Rangaros

Yes, you rebuild your bashed patch after you install or uninstall any mods. The routine is always the same ... install/uninstall, BOSS and then bash.

Some mods will come with bashed tags (actually BOSS has something to do with that) which instruct Wrye what to merge into the bashed patch and what not to in some cases (the {NoMerge} tag is an example). Without tags Wrye will look at the things the mod is doing and may merge some things for compatibility with the rest of your load order (it merges some records in my own homegrown mods for example ... no ill effects seen so far). The tags and the load order are it's key parameters (so I keep my stuff near the bottom, so when there's a conflict my stuff wins). The more you use it the more you'll trust it.

I've looked at that Script Optimizer myself ... I'm with Ike on this, let us know. It's not like we're using you as a sacrificial lamb or anything ... someone has to be the leader. Actually a few things I saw in the comments turned me off it. Whether they are true or not has nothing to do with it ... this is all just an illusion, and we're simply reflections of smoke in the mirror (or was that Smoke on the Water ... Fire in the Sky ... I get so confused while waiting for the meds to kick in).

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't even know where that merged patch is stored, to begin with, so it's gonna be complicated to back it up, lol. Dunno, I think it's not as bad as it seems, it's just that I don't quite grasp the whole theory behind it so I can't figure out exactly how it works in different situations.

I used to make merged patches in FONV with some FNVEdit or something, but honestly that seemed way simpler. If you wanted to change something, you could simply uncheck the patch's esp and it all went back to normal, and then you could delete the patch altogether and make a new one with the changes. The patch was simply overwriting stuff from the mods above, but didn't really "absorb" them or whatever. In here it seems the patch itself is not something you can just create and delete at whim.

Your bashed patch is the "merged stuff". No real need to back it up though, as it's kind of like a running backup every time you rebuild, with the pertinent stuff included and the unneeded stuff set aside.

Alright, I told it to not merge the stuff tagged with NoMerge, cause it makes logical sense. Now I'm trying to make an OMOD with MOO, since I figured might as well get a proper configuration wizard rather than just editing an ini file, but my OBMM seems to dislike the idea cause it's taking ages. Like, damn, I never made an OMOD but didn't know it took so freaking long. Granted it's a big mod, but still.

So more waiting it is.

Also knowing the creator of a mod I'm talking about is checking the thread makes me nervous, lol. Like I can't say anything bad about it, you know? :P

Don't worry about OBMM taking ages to create the omod installer for MOO, it's pretty normal. As you said, it's such a big mod that it takes its time to create the omod. And it will take quite time to install and activate the final mod.

I hope you like being killed (in-game I mean) in most bloody, sudden and unexpected ways as possible. Because until your character has a fairly high level and you have developed faster-than-light reflexes with your mouse and keyboard, an infallible peripheral vision and an insane amount or paranoia, even with the easiest setting of MOO, dying in a cloud of sprayed blood, not knowing what the hell killed you, is the activity you will spend most of the time doing.

Maskar will tell you (as he told me) "Stay on the roads and near the cities, and the mudcrabs are not as powerful as you are screaming around!". Believe me, the only safe places with MOO are inside cities. And Maskar's mudcrabs are dangerous.

Cheers!

Edited by IkeCoast

Nah Maskar's just checking that I'm not spreading lies. Probably uses the forums search for terms like MOO, Maskars etc to see if help is needed.

MOO is a very large mod, so I wouldn't be too concerned if OBMM seems to be taking a while to create the OMOD. In the few tests I ever did with it doing that on regular sized mods had me wondering if it was OK. Having the script help with the INI work will be good though ... MOO has lots of INIs and just about everything can be turned on/off to suit your taste.

If it's been a while since your last foray into Oblivion you may want to stay away from the more hardcore options, at least until you survive the first mudcrabs.

- Edit - ... +1 :ninja: for Ike ... he's even reading my thoughts!! Where's my tinfoil hat.

- Edit 2 - hey Ike ... you gonna get Ergaon? You have way more "showracemenu"-foo than I do.

Edited by Striker879

That sounds pretty cool, actually. I mean, I'm not a fan of hardcore difficulty honestly, but I do tend to research and min-max a lot by nature regardless, which ends up in having pretty powerful characters. So stronger enemies, while not my main goal, shouldn't be that terrible to deal with. And mostly I like the idea of a realistic world where going out running into the middle of a freaking forest will get you killed. There's not much of a "safety" feeling in cities and towns if the rest isn't somewhat dangerous, you just feel safe anywhere and the feeling is lost altogether. They become more of a "place to sell stuff" than an actual safe haven from all the threats out there.

Kinda unrelated but I always think that about Minecraft. When I first started, the night was dark as balls and all enemies were a threat. Any light in the night also looked awesome, by contrast. But eventually you're able to deal with any vanilla enemy pretty much untouched, and then also came the brightness setting which pretty much everyone sets to +50 at least, and the night suddenly lost a lot of its feeling.

In short, I like the idea of having both safe areas and truly dangerous ones. Plus the mod adds a bunch of other stuff I like, it's not that it just makes mobs harder.

And when MOO is starting to get familiar and not so edge of your seat Maskar can up the ante ... Basic Primary Needs and Basic Physical Activities. If you throw Realistic Fatigue and Enhanced Economy into the mix it becomes almost a strategy game.

True, MOO adds other gameplay improvements as well as making survival a pretty difficult thing. It's really worth the effort.

And it had a secondary effect on me (regarding my playing characters): right now I'm playing as Philippus, but without MOO. And for vanilla enemies, Phil is beyond dangerous, more than any of my PCs have ever been. MOO teached me how to move in combat, how to make combos and truly FIGHT, not just swinging my sword or shooting arrows. As a level one character, Phil defeated the two bandits camped outside Vilverin and then wiped off all lifeforms from inside Vilverin itself without losing even half of her life points.

Once MOO has teached you how to fight, how to move, how to plan your raids in advance, and how to have always an eye on your surroundings, vanilla game is plain BORING.

As soon as my bro-in-law lends me his laptop again, I will toss MOO on Phil's head and see how she handles things.

Dorma and Wyynde did a pretty good job learning how to handle MOO. It's time for Phil.

Cheers!

EDIT: all my PC have different combat styles. Dorma is a Berserker, Wyynde an Archer and Phil a Knight. But all share a common combat technique: if an enemy comes close enough, ZAP, EEL-KISS and bye, baby.

EDIT 2: yep, Striker, gave Ergaon something to chew already.

Edited by IkeCoast