Shapely Argonian Females?

David Brasher

I just remembered that M'aiq the Liar makes a reference to the same skeletons, saying that he likes the new look of the beast races, and that they "look better than ever before."

He does? That's.... that's..... hilarious.

You win this round Bethesda.

But what about Argonians? They are lizards! Lizards lay eggs. They do not bear live young. They do not nurse their young. They do not have mammary glands. There is no lizard milk! Since there are no glands, there is no fatty tissue to protect them. Female lizards are flat-chested!

So what is with the Argonian females in Oblivion?

Editorial license, I guess. It's another dimension. It has teleportals, invisibility spells, swords that do fire damage, etc. I figure these aren't descended for the same lizards we know. They just look like lizards. After all, lizards also lack voice boxes, but these speak. And Khajits? Cats are digi-grade. Their knees bend backwards. Khajit knees don't.

Because they're all mass-produced homunculi made in the IC prison. Why else do you think there's no other body types in Oblivion? (It also explains why your character starts out in prison with no backstory.)

Um...cats have multiple nipples but not boobs for each of them.

Cats have breasts; they just aren't as anywhere near as large as that of several other mammalian species. But there's a degree of fatty tissue there, as well as lactating capacity. The breasts fill with milk just as human breasts do upon birth of the young.

Besides, it doesn't matter whether cats have breasts, or not. This is a fantasy world where cats walk on human-like legs, whose knees bend forward. As I mentioned before, cats are digigrade, with knees that bend backwards. And lizards don't have voice boxes. None of this matters.

Edited by Balakirev

My fantasy does not involve cat people with four or six breasts...or cat people at all. But if I did have to envision them, they'd be exactly as they are in the game. I'm just so used to seeing them the way they're presented in Oblivion, I never had much issue with it.

About the Argonians breasts, as a biologist I have been thinking about this. The Argonians really do remind me of the first mammals that evolved - aka "proto-mammals" or "stem-mammals". Check out the Synapsides, and the undergroups of it to find out more. I just like to see things from an evolutionary point of view, and I think this is the most "realistic" view of the Argonians - that they're early mammals and not reptiles at all. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synapsid

Edited by TJADER

There has been speculation that dinosaurs were warm blooded mammals, granted this seems contrary to their egg laying, but there are egg laying mammals even today. Argonians are sort of their own unique species, I think, sharing characteristics of mammals, reptiles and humans.

Argonians are sort of their own unique species, I think, sharing characteristics of mammals, reptiles and humans.

Along with Hungarian accented English. ;)

Sorry, no offense meant. I just think they should be taken in the same spirit as the existence of elementals, fast travel, and alchemy: game conventions, in other words. I happen to think that Bethsoft did a great job, in that respect. Analyze them, of course, and it all starts coming apart. No fantasy world has the cold, lucid logic of our real world--or is as amazing as our real world, either, when you get into it. We're just too close to marvel at it, all too often.