Immortality Pill

JohannesGunn

Wanna live forever?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. If there was a pill that granted true immortality, would you take it?

• Oh, yeah!
    • Not a chance...
    • Only if it tasted like candy...
  2. 2. What if it was a shot?

• So? Bring it on!
    • Uh... I don't like needles...
    • Not a chance...
    • Only if it's gonna mess with my mind, man...

I just got through watching - Groundhog Day - where Bill Murray is kind of "immortal" ... he tries a number of ways to die but the next day he's back at 6:00 AM sharp.

How would you feel if you could be immortal but only by reliving the same day over and over and over ad infinitum ?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope.

It sounds boring... but if I had a spaceship that I could go anywhere with, then yes, I would.

Immortality in itself sounds boring unless you have something interesting or fun to do, but you have to admit it would be pretty sweet if you had a spaceship that could explore the entire universe. Billions of galaxies, trillions, possibly quadrillions, of stars and nebulae and most likely trillions of planets or other orbiting objects. It would take an eternity to explore all that by myself, so if that were the case I would take it.

But if I didn't have that space ship, no.

I'm gonna say it right now, Delikatessen is being possessed by Sagan. :happy:

@ Nintii: No, Immortality via a recurrent day would be a worse fate than a literal fire-and-brimstone Hell IMO.

i dont think id wanna be immortal in the sense i could survive simply anything, but the ability to regenerate indefinitely would be pretty sweet.

i have, since my first post, watched the series Heroes. and two people on there could regenerate, and in essence could not die. now there were limitations. if their powers were stolen, they obviously could die. also a blow through the head, severing the cerebral cortex (thats the one that powers the heart and lungs right? base of the skull) would kill them as well (but only if the severing object remained there to block the connection. once removed, they could heal again) one of the healers healed at such a rate that new cells replaced old cells on a 1:1 bases, meaning he never aged and was immortal. they could regenerate limbs (though the biggest this was shown was a foot) but was stated that they could not replace their head. so the extent of what they could replace is known....also one can assume from some events in the series, that they could not starve or dehydrate. one person was shown buried alive and recovered some time later sleeping, no harm done. im guessing this is because the cells can regenerate so fast that they dont actually starve.

also the while never stated in the show, the writers stated that if they were incinerated into ashes, that they would die, and could no regenerate from that (which makes sense, no head, no regenerate)

so yea, being able to survive like that would be interesting. you can still die (which would lead you to be able to end your own life) which is the big thing. being immortal would be fun for awhile, but only if you had control when it stopped, and in this scenario, you do.