How Special Encounters Could Be Made

simplywayne90

uuuhhh.... i have a confession to make... i never played a fallout game besides 3 and new vegas... now, with that embarrassment out of the way...

what are these special encounters? are they just an npc or an object with a backstory? or are they more elaborate with groups of npc's moving around and doing things?

i ask because there's a script function for generating a random number from 1 to 100, it wouldn't be difficult to set that to run every 12 hours in game, or only during the day or something, and only when you're outside. and when the encounter's number is called, an npc runs up to you, or just have the screen go black and come back with you already talking to the npc, depends what's most accurate. then once it's over, set it to never come on again. what do you think?

PS: i didn't read every person's comment here before posting so if this has been said already, i'm an idiot and you can ignore me, haha.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your probably not the only "Newbie" to the fallout universe so If this helps, let me know and I'll edit this post into my first one so it'll help others like you.

In the Classic Fallouts, there was no "wandering the wasteland" you traveled using a world map with a grid, so while on the world map and traveling between one area to another you'd occasionally get interrupted by enemies randomly (a random encounter).

Special encounters were different though.

As Quoted From The Vault "Special encounters are random encounters, often non-canonical, and are unique compared to more common encounters which may consist of hostile NPCs. They usually serve as entertaining points of humor, though some are very dangerous (Mad Brahmins), while some grant access to unique, sometimes powerful loot (Bridge Keeper). Most of these encounters consist of humorous pop culture references or other games or even earlier Fallout games (The Cafe of Broken Dreams). "

ahh, i see. that's simple. make it have a random chance using the random number generator everytime you fast travel or leave an interior. the base game already does that with certain events, like the talon company mercs attacking you in FO3. or that crazy ncr ranger chick in new vegas.

I like the idea of kooky randomised encounters - I'd LOVE to see the Moira Brown just wandering around in NV. It'd be cool if there were 2 versions of her - 1 which spawns if you didn't blow up Megaton, and one that spawns if you did.

Of course, NV doesn't get access to your F3 save files/variables (as far as I know), so it would need to be based on your Karma or something like that.

Or more Wild Wasteland Encounters that only spawn if you have a certain Karma, or maybe depending on your rep in any given town/area?

Imagine this:

- You have low karma, and you have a poor rep in Goodsprings: You try to sell gear at the General Store, but the storekeeper now has a body guard: The Duke himself. (NOT, NOT NUKEM ;) ) Every time you walk in, The Duke says: "We don't serve your type around here. May as well walk on back out o' the shop, (feller/missy)." and you are immediately 'transported' out of the shop.

- You have good karma, and you have a poor rep with The Legion: You decide to storm Cottonwood Cove, but some guy called Brian spawns and starts talking to you just as you walk past the crucified people at the entrance. He gives you a heap of various healing chems and says in parting: 'Always look on the bright side of life!'

The mind boggles. :wacko:

Edited by drazur

Well I hope we can make these without relying on Fallout 3 files (since we will have some players who never played Fo3, and for people who loved Classic Fallout like myself)

Drazur, I was wondering if you think my method 1 is possible, so far no one has stated if its even possible or not.

I do hope everyone does look at the video links I included, so as to make you understand what a "Special Encounter" is, as Tallgeese made clear to me, I simply assumed everyone knew what they were and that was a mistake on my part.

Also Drazur, heres a utitity for accessing Fo3 savegames somewhat. (Hope it works well)

and I'm sure Tallgeese could think of a way to add a script to (enable or disable) certain encounters based on characters karma value. Of course, Special encounters usually don't rely on karma, however after I post all the original encounters, I'll post an outline for your special encouter Drazur.

Edited by simplywayne90

-------------------------Giant Footprint Encounter------------------------

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090221094105/fallout/images/2/22/Fo1_Foot.png

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/imageshare/images/1955455-1291813715.jpg

Second photo taken by bagrov, and an excellent shot it is.

A parody that Godzilla like creatures are roaming the wastes.

This is a reference to a (very) short film "Bambi Meets Godzilla", the content of which you can probably guess from the picture I've put here.

The actual footprint would need to be adding either by a custom model.

Or possiblely by editing pieces of the ground in order to mimic the look of a giant footprint.

(By lowering a footprint shaped piece of terrain, this is probably the easier way)

Inside the giant footprint should be a bloody corpse. Squished to hell or just make him torn apart and bloody and gory.

On the body should be a Japanese jumpsuit (Just rename the chinese one), a stealth boy,

and a note saying something like

"Damn it-san I came to America to get away from things just like this!!"

And thats the encounter, nothing really happens its just supposed to make you laugh a bit at the irony and whatnot.

Edited by simplywayne90

-------------------------Nanuk And His "Little Tribal"------------------------

This is not an actual special encounter, but I feel that people would like it.

It'd be a two part encounter just like King Arthurs Knights (Mentioned Earlier).

In the first encounter, which in-game we will call "A Female Raider with a Male Slave"

Where in the encounter you are immeditately attacked by a female raider named Daisy, if possible she should look as sluttly and nasty as possible.

The slave will be distant enought so that you can kill Daisy without hitting him and making him hostile.

After she's dead you will be forced into dialog with the male slave, whose name will be "Nanuk"

Here is the dialog he will speak (voiced)

"Ohhh! You please free Nanuk? Daisy not nice to Nanuk's "Little Tribal," She do bad things. Things that hurt. Nanuk now have bad rash that smell. Please free Nanuk. I need to see medicine man soon. I run now,. Must find shaman quick."

Heres a video with the proper voice dialog. (Its not copyright to use a sentence is it?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MQI4ROoZY0&feature=related

To get the dialog I'd suggest a youtube audio ripper. (They are free so no worries)

Edited by simplywayne90

-------------------------Nanuk And His "Little Tribal" Part 2------------------------

This is not an actual special encounter, but I feel that people would like it.

It'd be a two part encounter just like King Arthurs Knights (Mentioned Earlier).

In the second encounter, which will not be availible until the first encounter is finished, In-game we will call this one "A Familiar Man and His "Little Tribal""

Here we see our favorite Tribal Nanuk again this time he will have on scribe robes, and he appears to still have problems, as you approach him, he will force dialog on you.

Here is the dialog he will speak this time (voiced)

"Brotherhood Shaman is as bad as Daisy! He gave Nanuk "Invasive Swab Test" that realy hurt! Nanuk no take Brotherhood shamans pills to get rid of rash! No trust man who cause Nanuk great pain! I will dip "Little Tribal" in oil and chase away the evil spirits with fire!"

Your reply should be something sarcastic...along the lines of "Okay Nanuk, you do that. I'll just be going "away" from the crazy tribal I met just now."

End dialog, and exit the encounter, and thats it for Nanuk. (Unless you want to add a third encounter with a burnt skeleton name Nanuk =P We could call it "A Familiar burned corpse, and his Little Tribal")

Heres a video with the proper voice dialog. (Its not copyright to use a sentence is it?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJDSFHnjrgQ

To get the dialog I'd suggest a youtube audio ripper. (They are free so no worries)

Edited by simplywayne90