I can't update to v1.7

DDarius

I have tried updating the game to v1.7 but it always fails to update, I mean the game version remains the stock one. The game is NOT pirated and I have tried updating before and after modding the game, still no effects. What should I do? My version is European English (I think). I have tried updating with American English, same effect.

Fast edit: Do I need to do any other updates before?

Edited by DDarius

You don't need other updates. Just make sure you got the right patch for you language version (another version will fail to update) and don't use any no-dvd-cracks or sth like this. The patch reads the file checksum and will ignore non-vanilla files.

If you are not sure regarding your game version, you can update via GfWl in game like AdmiralCrunch suggested.

Games for Windows doesn't see it, do I need to do something to detect it? I moved in settings the path for installing games to the folder with all my games. Does the Fallout folder need any special name to be detected. I have reinstalled the game there.

Do you mean you installed the game and then moved it to a new folder or that you chose a custom folder during the game's installation?

The patch should read your Registry to find out where you installed the game, so if you installed the game and then moved the game folder to another location the patch won't install because the install location info in the Registry is pointing to a folder that no longer exists. If, however, you chose a custom install and selected a new folder to install the game to (for example: C:\Games\Fallout 3) then the patch should be able to find that info from your Registry.

When the patch fails, do you get any error message? Does the patch just appear to have stopped? The patch can sometimes take a while to complete and can, at certain points in the update process, appear to have stopped responding. If that's the case just leave it to complete, it can sometimes take quite a while to complete the entire patching process, especially if you're patching an unpatched install.

You shouldn't need any previous updates, the v1.7 patch includes all previous patches. However, installing previous updates in order might prove helpfull, it certainly won't do any harm to try that.

I mean there is no error or anything, the patch even completes installing but the game version doesn't change. After it finishes it opens the game if I have the disc inserted into my computer.

What version do you have?

Do you have several installs of FO3? Maybe there is another, previous one.