Unofficial TESNexus Minecraft Server

Ethre

And on a side note, my latest nerd-chievement:

http://i54.tinypic.com/qph4z9.jpg

(BIG PICTURE)

Just thought I'd add that in :turned:

Nice Quantum - when I come by your place we're going to have to play a round of something. I warn you beforehand though, I am horrible when it comes to using a console.

Edit: An apology to Sage for disappearing on him.

Edited by Ethre

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were really a few things that killed my interest in Minecraft. One was getting my account hacked through no fault of my own and having to wait 3 months to really get it back. The other was coming back to find out that everything I had was gone due to greifing, bored players, server bugs, or suddenly creepers. But, this has allowed me to put everything in perspective as to what might lead to a good server.

First things, I would not say that having to occasionally start a new map is bad, but that maybe there is some effort made toward using a seed that pushes some people outside their normal playstyle for each incarnation of the server. For instance one time picking a seed which has mostly snow and taiga for one incarnation, and the next picking one which is mostly desert or has many large epic cliffs and overhangs. If you give people something new to challenge them with a new map, there will be interest.

Second, in order to keep problems from occurring, the server needs to be controlled by a whitelist only policy. Although this might go against the notion of a community server, it becomes easier to control who gets access in order to keep those who might cause problems out. Having Notch finally add some locking chests would certainly stop some of the theivery, but you can never stop someone from coming in and ruining what has already been built on an open server. Simply, we all have to get along or problems will keep happening, if people make themselves a problem they are removed.

Third, mods are decided upon before a new map and are checked first for compatibility. You can't help sudden game updates screwing things up, but updates have been slow enough to give time between server versions to have some fun on a map before things break. What this also means is that map changes and mods can coincide with game updates if the game update is something that really needs a new map to work.

Fourth, not everyone plays the same, but if people work together they can play their interests to the benefit of others, for example those who like fighting can go exploring caves clearing the way for miners, and miners can gather materials for builders who supply both with defenses, tools, and equipment... It doesn't mean that people are limited to these roles but that everyone would essentially adopt a teamwork basis rather than an individual one. It seems simple, and it has worked well before when there is a goal in mind, but it usually falls apart when people start trying to figure out their cut or disagree on what to do. If there isn't some general goal with the map, people won't stay focused.

What all this combined means that a server might work best on an opt-in basis. By that I mean that before a new map is set, people within a larger pool are given a brief overview of that map, what mods are going to be used, and what the general objectives are. But, this requires the server admin and a few others taking time to research possible seed candidates or adventure maps, deciding on what mods might be fun for the map, and maybe doing some minor editing/setup work. Then letting only a handful who are interested in playing that map into the server, rotating out people who are inactive or banning people from future maps if they're disruptive.

The general goal of all of this is to do something other than what people can just do on their own in single player. If people want to just mine, collect diamonds they never use, and hoard them alone in their hidden bases far, far, far away from everyone else, they can keep playing single player. Multiplayer is supposed to be about working with others in a world to do something awesome.

**one caveat, since there will usually be some need to store rare materials for later use, having named warp point somewhere that is generally inaccessible otherwise for those larger projects if materials become hard to manage. A larger temporary storage would be enough for most needs though.

Fourth, not everyone plays the same, but if people work together they can play their interests to the benefit of others, for example those who like fighting can go exploring caves clearing the way for miners, and miners can gather materials for builders who supply both with defenses, tools, and equipment... It doesn't mean that people are limited to these roles but that everyone would essentially adopt a teamwork basis rather than an individual one. It seems simple, and it has worked well before when there is a goal in mind, but it usually falls apart when people start trying to figure out their cut or disagree on what to do. If there isn't some general goal with the map, people won't stay focused.

This is how my town on Yogiverse works mostly. 4 of us mine, 5 build, 5 are defenders, and one is the leader.

We work pretty well together, and can coordinate very well with Teamspeak.

There were really a few things that killed my interest in Minecraft. One was getting my account hacked through no fault of my own and having to wait 3 months to really get it back. The other was coming back to find out that everything I had was gone due to greifing, bored players, server bugs, or suddenly creepers. But, this has allowed me to put everything in perspective as to what might lead to a good server.

First things, I would not say that having to occasionally start a new map is bad, but that maybe there is some effort made toward using a seed that pushes some people outside their normal playstyle for each incarnation of the server. For instance one time picking a seed which has mostly snow and taiga for one incarnation, and the next picking one which is mostly desert or has many large epic cliffs and overhangs. If you give people something new to challenge them with a new map, there will be interest.

Second, in order to keep problems from occurring, the server needs to be controlled by a whitelist only policy. Although this might go against the notion of a community server, it becomes easier to control who gets access in order to keep those who might cause problems out. Having Notch finally add some locking chests would certainly stop some of the theivery, but you can never stop someone from coming in and ruining what has already been built on an open server. Simply, we all have to get along or problems will keep happening, if people make themselves a problem they are removed.

Third, mods are decided upon before a new map and are checked first for compatibility. You can't help sudden game updates screwing things up, but updates have been slow enough to give time between server versions to have some fun on a map before things break. What this also means is that map changes and mods can coincide with game updates if the game update is something that really needs a new map to work.

What all this combined means that a server might work best on an opt-in basis. By that I mean that before a new map is set, people within a larger pool are given a brief overview of that map, what mods are going to be used, and what the general objectives are. But, this requires the server admin and a few others taking time to research possible seed candidates or adventure maps, deciding on what mods might be fun for the map, and maybe doing some minor editing/setup work. Then letting only a handful who are interested in playing that map into the server, rotating out people who are inactive or banning people from future maps if they're disruptive.

The general goal of all of this is to do something other than what people can just do on their own in single player. If people want to just mine, collect diamonds they never use, and hoard them alone in their hidden bases far, far, far away from everyone else, they can keep playing single player. Multiplayer is supposed to be about working with others in a world to do something awesome.

**one caveat, since there will usually be some need to store rare materials for later use, having named warp point somewhere that is generally inaccessible otherwise for those larger projects if materials become hard to manage. A larger temporary storage would be enough for most needs though.

I counted if I was able to give multiple kudos this would be your 13th I given you.

But yes about everything he said was right.

There were a lot of projects that we worked together on. Think of the skyship. Almost 5 people contributed to make it happen. If you think about it, I just by myself would never be able to finish it. Think of ALL the different things we can do. Maybe we can even find an adventure map with a lot of random dungeons quests and still build the city there. Or somehow building the city on a crazy see like glacier.

I agree with most of this, but not

Il help on any community project but I dont like being crowded by multiple of houses, I like to have my own mark in a world that is being created. That is the only reason I head to be remote place

id argree with this though

If people want to just mine, collect diamonds they never use, and hoard them alone in their hidden bases far, far, far away from everyone else, they can keep playing single player.

This I am firmly against

Then letting only a handful who are interested in playing that map into the server, rotating out people who are inactive

Unless you mean as if someone dosen't play for a month then understandable but still against

Well, the general idea is to maintain a controlled population of people in the game to avoid issues and disruptions. If you only allow about 20 people with access to the map for that session and have a pool of 30-40 people, it isn't fair that one of those 20 can go inactive for a long period of time and still keep out one of the others. It isn't that people would just be kicked out their houses or whatever raided, just that someone else would be given a chance to join that map in progress.

Just making one town after another IS boring. But so is having a server where each person just works on their own thing in their own corner and gets defensive about every little bit of trespassing, accidental or no. Some balance is needed, and being a more communal focus can solve for most issues since there aren't many rare items for others to steal.

Well, the general idea is to maintain a controlled population of people in the game to avoid issues and disruptions. If you only allow about 20 people with access to the map for that session and have a pool of 30-40 people, it isn't fair that one of those 20 can go inactive for a long period of time and still keep out one of the others. It isn't that people would just be kicked out their houses or whatever raided, just that someone else would be given a chance to join that map in progress.

Just making one town after another IS boring. But so is having a server where each person just works on their own thing in their own corner and gets defensive about every little bit of trespassing, accidental or no. Some balance is needed, and being a more communal focus can solve for most issues since there aren't many rare items for others to steal.

okey I misunderstood your post,

Second part makes compleate sense at lest to me, I think balance is required

so I agree on everything you have said