Unofficial TESNexus Minecraft Server

Ethre

Hey, beds work in SMP. The screen fades and the chat box opens, then you just sit until day.

And you can be attacked. I tried on the WDZ server, and got creeper'd when I was testing it. :D

So. Thats 3 for a new world (Me, Queen and Zaldir). We still need 4. (Ub3r, Ethre, Anton and Destiny)

Edited by CommanderCrazy

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm.. I would want to complete my castle first. I don't mind losing a finished building, but to lose something before I can see what it is is horrible. I'd say we should keep the old world. There's no difference between it and a new one.

Edit: I think I found why Cartographer isn't working. The one I have is keyed for Alpha, before the new items. I downloaded it anew off the site, but it's the old version too. Where'd you lot get it?

If anyone happens to have a current version, feel free to link it.

On another note, there are some new bugfixes listed. Logs and wood blocks no longer burn forever. Huzzah! You'll have to make your fireplaces out of netherrack now, but putting out forest fires will be so easy it does it itself.

Edit: I did some testing in single player. A forest fire happened to be started by a surface pool of lava (I've found 3 so far. More common?). The trees burn completely away, only sometimes leaving a block of fire where its base was, and that won't cause any lag more than a torch.

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af356/ub3rman123/Mine4-1.jpg?t=1298413798

As you can see, the trees where they were are completely gone. You can see a patch of bare dirt where there was a tree.

I also found you can craft beds out of black wool (I'll assume you can craft them out of any wool with that). Beds are also non-flammable.

I would rather not have a new map, if we do a new map and upgrade just for beds? But lose everything we built? And the craft mod or whatever its called that lets you do lifts and bridges probably wont work either, because it hasn't been updated in forever.

**Edit

The server is up now, everything works fine for me. I didn't download the update, and will wait for my mods to get updated before I update the game.

Edited by crimsonedge11

Lets face it. The current world is getting stale. There's nowhere new to go, without going for about 7 real life days. Its lost the 'wow look at the scenery here' feel, because everyones seen it before. By all means, finish your building, but do we really have to keep a world with no further things to do?

It is ultimately up to ethre though.

Edited by CommanderCrazy

I have to agree. Even thought it would be egoistic for me to say that I would like a new world because so many people have so much and since I barely started I don't have a lot. I was thinking, instead of building all different buildings, how about we all work together and make a city type of thing. Have like houses, warehouse (just like the one we have), have a library and stuff. Would be kinda cool. Don't you think?

And then when we are done with switch off the peaceful and fight off enemy mobs, to ultimately protect the city

Edited by antonkr

Alrighty then, she'll stay up! :) Just wanted to make sure there would be a demand.

Server rent's $22.57 / 3 months (USD) which works to ~$7.50 a month. Not a huge cost by any means.

I think the 8 slot server's a pretty good balance for us so far. We've never really had problems hitting the cap, though if we dropped it down we would have (plus, the increase in cost to 8 slots from 6 slots is marginal). I don't mind paying the rent, though if you feel the need to there is a set up with the host that makes it easy to contribute.

Good discussion regarding changing the world. A few points from my end:

The world that we've built is very nice and very large. As mentioned, for any new terrain you have to move a good ways out. Since you need new terrain for some of the updates, this gets slightly tiresome. On the otherhand - there is the benefit of multiple sets of existing infrastructure.

A couple things are showing themselves to be problematic in the current world. We've been pretty lucky about chunk resets, but there are definitely parts of the world that are permanently off limits (Queen . . . ;) ). Certain minerals are not showing themselves very well either (Diamond for one - is findable but in general has been elusive). Because it has been built up over several updates, the original parts of the world obviously don't include all the new goodies.

In terms of server administration, I think that we've been stretching out hMod for long enough. At some point we will have to switch over to bukkit or another control setup. Doing this with a new world would certainly be the cleanest way to do so. This would also get rid of the warp/home/etc problems with a map conversion (I have no idea if the new format maintains the same access patterns).

Performance-wise I would guess that switching to a new world might be a good idea. When I compressed the world (to map) two days ago, the zipped file was 222mb. That's getting pretty heavy, especially if people are scattered across it.

tl;dr Benefit of world is the buildings. Problems have been building up.

Personally, I think it may be time to zip the world up (I can distribute it to anyone who would want a copy) and see minecraft from a new light. If we do this though, I'd leave it up until the 6th.

Regarding server access (right now):

Its always up but with update you will be unable to access. If you haven't updated MC yet - I recommend you make a backup of your .bin folder (inside minecraft). Then let it update. Close minecraft and replace the .jar files in the .bin folder with your backed up ones. You should be able to play and connect now.

Edit2: All you need to replace is the minecraft.jar file

Did I miss anything?

Edit: Antonkr makes a good point. There's been talk for a while of doing something akin to the IC on EricJames' server (large communal work). Worth doing?

Edit3: If you don't understand why ub3r would probably like to keep his castle - I recommend you take a look at it. Quite impressive work.

Edited by Ethre

I just looked over my castle and realized that to the extent I feel like working on it, it's quite finished. So I think a fresh start would be nice. I'd love to manage to find such a beautiful new mountain like that last one, and the chance to change a few details on the second playthrough will be welcome.

So if you want to make the new world, no objection from me.

As for a communal project, I'm not sure how it'd work out. There could be some conflicts of interest in building style. Without a coherent style, we'll have that spawn village again. I think it's best if we all build our own projects and instead just tour around the map to see them.

Although I just got my resort looking the way I wanted , a new start would be perfect ! Too much unplayable areas on this server , and no Im not pointing fingers http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/ninja.gif ( cough cough Queenston ) http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/biggrin.gif

Would it be possible to have mobs on this new world ?