The worst games of 2010, and what will sucketh mightily in 2K11.

Vindekarr

Well, it's been a good year, but by that same token I've also seen a few dev studios, Krome, Bioware, and Treyarch for example, make steaming piles of scrap that are barely worth making it onto the shelves.

Mass effect 2

It brings absolutely nothing new or worth while, it's just the same old low quality, linear psuedo-rpg. The graphics and sparkle are still the main emphasis; it's enough to keep the easily amused begging for more like good little sycophants, but I honestly couldnt find anything to so much as tolerate here, let alone applaud.

Linear, dull, unimpressive in every way. It's just so god damned shallow, it looks fine on the surface but look under surface opinions as any thinking man should, and you'll find absolutely nothing. I've always hated the way Bioware does RPGs, simplistic stat system, abysmal combat, and 100% linear "corridor" "storylines" all contribute to produce what I think are not so much GOTY material, but shameful blunders that only easily amused fools could enjoy. Just an opinion, admitedly an extreme one, but I get so sick of hearing "mass effect is best game evar coz it got shiney graphikz!" out of so many fools.

I would also add Black Ops off my list of nominations. I've gotten really sick of hearing good things about it. Admitedly a lot has been done to improve ont he many failures of it's previous installments, but it's just not enough. it's still all about equipment-trumps-skill twitch shooting that, like afforementioned disaster mass effect, is shallow and lacking any entertainment for those who like to deviate from the standard corridor crawling approach.

That and, if you get a WA-2000 with an ACOG optic-for god's sake Im not even going to bother with that stupid term anymore, it's a freakin' Tube Sight, it's what it is, it's what it's always been called, an A.C.O.G. sight is something entirely diferent, this is just a tube with a glass plate with a crosshair on it-anyway, get one of these with a Tube Sight, it'll get you 12 kill streaks in MP first time every time without fail provided you have the marginal competance required to align the big black X upon your targets noggin and then clentch your finger.

I cant help but feel like people like these games because of who made them.

It's like with cars, BMWs are ugly, slow, boring, and completely devoid of imagination. But people buy them because they're what they think a rich person's car looks like. For god's sake, for that money you coudl get any of a hundred superb and luxurious/faster vehicles, but nobody ever bothers because they lack that fettered blue and white badge. It's just like that in games to, humans are sheep, enough of the herd says ME is the current FOTM to worship, they all worship ME, Black Ops is hot? they worship black ops. Makes me sick.

F1 2010- Perfect handling and incredible graphics are no good if the rest of the game is broken. Faked AI qualifying, cars not making their mandatory pit stop, a broken damage model causing a ridiculous numbers of punctures, fuel simulation not working on the AI cars, no tyre wear on AI cars and a completely broken penalty system. They followed that up with a patch that broke more than it fixed. The game is now abandoned.

Mafia 2- Eight years to make a game that lasts 8 hours, it should have been a lot longer but it was butchered to sell as DLC.

Drakensang: The River of Time- I had high hopes for this but a wonky camera and unbelievably unbalanced combat made this an exercise in anger management.

Alpha Protocol- There is a good game in there among the bugs, poor design decisions and idiotic boss battles. Sadly the bad outweighed the good.

Gothic 4- I really have no idea what Jowood were thinking, they've dumbed it down so much that even the most fervent Gothic fan would switch it off in disgust. It makes Oblivion look deep and complex.

Black Ops- I'm not sure why I expected more from this. Being shoved in a straight line from one set piece to the next is getting boring now. The gameplay hasn't evolved at all since the first game, as I said in another post the game might as well play itself for all the interaction the player gets to make. Putting a skybox over a tunnel does not stop it being a tunnel.

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II- Somehow managed to be worse than the first one.

Final Fantasy XIII- Another one of those "What the hell were they thinking?" games, 20 hours in a tunnel, a few hours in a field before being put back in a tunnel is not my idea of fun. The dull characters didn't help.

well, i would have to disagree with you on ME2, i though it was an rather good game (no way near as good as the first, but then again, usually games can't improve over the awesome original)

as for Black Ops, i sure as hell agree with you

after stopping the whole WWII games, the CoD franchise (and MW and BO are still, in heart, part of that franchise), the creators just couldn't find a proper game to make

i think that BO is the first of the non WWII games in the series, that has a proper story (and the story was really good, at least in my opinion)

however, i would have to say that aside from the good story, the game had basically nothing

it was a very shiny piece of turd, being made to push the computer to it's limits, but nothing more than that

the game itself is rather boring, has horrible gameplay at many points, and is basically a huge disappointment

and i would have to agree with you on the BMWs as well

never liked them :biggrin:

now, i would like to point one other thing, before i conclude the BO massacre here :tongue:

as it appears, there are all too many people who think that they know about guns, because of what they saw in BO, or in the other MW or CoD games

and to tell the truth, i don't know how people could be so stupid, to believe everything they see

i mean, people basically base all their knowledge on what they see in games, which just cannot give them the truth, no matter how hard the game developers will try (at least, i haven't seen any realistic game)

well, i think that concludes this chapter of why Black Ops is more like Bathroom Operations

i'll have to think of any of the other games that i have seen this year, and then i'll be back for more :biggrin:

Well, we all know by now how egregiously wrong the Call of Duty series is when it comes to weapons, I mean, come on: I'm pretty sure your shoulder would shear off if you fire an M82 without a bipod, lying down AND that fast: it already hurts if you finger a 7.62mm rifle too fast.

You're exactly right about MW and Bathroom Ops(that really did make me laugh) players.

I mean, I've fired a real M-14. Not only does it look nothing like the one in COD, it sounds nothing like it, has punishing recoil, a much more powerful calibre, and a completely diferent arrangment of rails and hardpoints(the things you lock equipment onto) that is to say, it didnt have any, just a simple mechanism for locking a basic targeting scope onto.

Yet when I said to a player yesterday that in reality, it would probably one-shot kill someone-anyone-if it hit them in the head, he told me I was a "stupid f***tard who knows absolutely nothing" and that "it needs to hit someone twice" At which point I blew his brains out for being an insolent whelp.

Likewise for the WA-2K looks completely wrong, feels completely wrong, behaves totaly, utterly completely wrong. And for the love of all that's unholy, WHY does a primitive, no-zoom tube scope class as a $1000 "upgrade" while actualy reducing the weapon's potential as a sniping piece. And lastly, the proportioning? totaly wrong, I've shot one, they've got much, much longer barrels in proportion to the stock, a slightly adjustable should rest, and most of all, THEY ARENT MADE OFR FREAKIN' WOOD! This one was furnished in shining polymer.

Lastly, some of this garbage goes completely against basic logic. An army hat DOES NOT STOP BULLETS! Let alone devastating .50 cal shots the size of my thumb nail. It's just stupid, this game hugely punishes snipers and anyone with any real skill, since the patheticaly short draw distance makes sniper weapons nigh useless on principle, a fact compounded by that they're reliant on one shot kills. So making a perfect cranial penetration shot a three-hit-kill with a PSG1 even is just ridiculous.

Oh, and speaking of the PSG? the barrel is way too thin, and way to short, and the gun itself is much bulkier and longer planned. And I dont think they even existed back in the very early '60s.

Dazzer-you're exactly right, a 5.56 is about the most you can use without a shoulder pad to absorb the recoil. A shotgun for example, the Ranger, has enough recoil force to literaly shatter your collarbone. I dont have exact stats on the M-82/M-107 Barret, but judging by Newton's Third Law, if it can blow a massive hole in Helicopter armour, it'll also break every bone in your arm if you fire it from the shoulder.

IF you want know anything at all about anything to do with guns, talk to the instructor at a gun club-he or she will actualy know what they're talking about and will most likely be able to greatly enlighten you.

Another one for the pile of shame: Assassin's creed 1,2, brotherhood: All three overrated trash, simply pathetic. In Brotherhood, YOU CANT EVEN DIE FOR GODS SAKE! What's the point of a combat game that you cant even, you know, do combat stuff in? like I said, pathetic.

Edited by Vindekarr

Well, we all know by now how egregiously wrong the Call of Duty series is when it comes to weapons, I mean, come on: I'm pretty sure your shoulder would shear off if you fire an M82 without a bipod, lying down AND that fast: it already hurts if you finger a 7.62mm rifle too fast.

well, can't say i know about that, as i've never got to fire one (though i will be going to BT, or basic training in a few months, so i guess i'll see about that :biggrin:)

but yeah, truly and unbelievably realistic at that part

than again, it's not just the CoD

if you've seen the newest Medal Of Honor, you basically do the same thing (not only that, you fire from a little buggy cart, or whatever you can call that ride they use)

which brings me to speak of just that game

i know that the MoH games have never been too good (they were always shunned down by CoD, at least as far as i know), but i have to say that i actually enjoyed Airborne

but after trying to play the latest MoH, it seems like it's a waste of time

there isn't much of a story, the game makes no sense, and it's rather boring (and nothing is more creepy than your companion having his head moving at a 100 degrees angle to look at you)

i never got to finish the game, as it was so boring, but a friend told me he did it, and that it was a 4 hour game for him

a true waste of time and money, i will have to say

Jim_uk:

Drakensang: The River of Time- I had high hopes for this but a wonky camera and unbelievably unbalanced combat made this an exercise in anger management.

i will have to agree on that

i played the original game, and really loved it, even if it was really not my style of game

and though it did fix some problems of the first game (like now you are able to travel back to places you've been to, unlike in the original, where after one visit, it just closed to you)

but the game still has much work to do

the story is quite good (at least from the little i was able to get of it, due to not wanting to use the seals on the damned demon), but there are too many changes that need to be made, to make the game really good

Black Ops was a disgrace in FPS Gaming. I'm a Medal of Honour Fanboy - and even though that's far from perfect (no Co-Op/Versus mode on same console, EA Servers, Graphical Glitches, laggy, and a short heavily bugged Single Player to name them), but even so, I enjoyed MW2 (and the obvious CoD4), where I could go and play a few games with my mates round the house, instead of organizing some massive session with half a dozen screens and PS3's. However, there's none of that availability with Black Ops, as there's only certain weapons which you can use with enough certainty to be useful.

The most annoying thing about it was things such as the Silenced Sniper Rifle - the maps themselves are short enough and with enough cover to stop sniping from half the map away (a la MoH), yet even with a Headshot silenced rifle, you couldn't get a OHKO. And the Stoner and Commando are sheer broken.

Some things were done right though - such as Kill Streak kills not counting.

I'm also not too sure that it's because of who made them. This is Treyarch territory, and after the dog's dinner that was World At War, I'm fairly sure not many people are playing it, other than that it's new. Playing MW2 and CoD4, you can still see the number of people playing it.

Bad Company was horrendous - although I feel everything that was bad (mainly) in BC2 was fixed for the later release of MoH. I'm not getting the DLC for that.

HAWX 2 was horrendous. I sold the game, then bought it back for 50% more than I got originally, bought the DLC, found how poor that was, then sold the game again, this time for less than what I originally sold it for - a net loss of probably £35, when I bought it at £45. The Disappointment of the last Ghost Recon I played as well means that Tom Clancy will NOT be getting my money, unless they remaster the original Splinter Cell series in a box set, in which case I'd consider it.

Also, DL'd the Apache: Air Assault Demo. That's horrendous, even more so than HAWX2.

Edited by Marieh

Why would that start a war? I like being proved wrong if it's done using knowledge and logic.

But you're right about Apache.

HAWX 2 is the best flight game on Xbox 360 at the moment-and I am not exagerrating when I say I've played every single other flight game on Xbox 360. This is #1. Best campaign, best gameplay, but all round multiplayer focused goodness.

Apache is an embarrisment, When you've seen games like KA-50 WarPilot, and know the true potential of a good warsim, it makes it even worse.

Split Second, Velocity. A game sliced into chunks so it could be sold as DLC. But who ever would be so foolish to buy this DLC? because this game had nothing. No cars that were either interesting or pretty. No fun locales. No storyline. Bad gameplay. Glitzy graphics that actualy made it harder to play and laggy.

True arcade racers are a rare breed in this modern era. I sometimes find myself missing the games I played as an early teen. HotWheels: Velocity X for example, this little gem was the best early teen game I;ve ever seen, simply because it didnt bother being a kid's game. They just made a full adult game, and a very, very good one at that, slapped some HotWheels stickers on it, made sure it had no gore, and called it a kids game.

These two have a lot in common in premise: drive a wildly stylised car through a wildly stylised environment at a dangerous rate of speed while not getting blown up. Vel-X did this sublimely well. Not only was there a car for everyone's taste, but the maps-the beautiful crazy maps with their wall driving and huge jumps-actualy worked. In hindsight I really think they playtested the bejesus out of this game because it was so polished. And it was all there, no DLC, because they gave you a LOT of game already-6 "cities" for free roam each about as big as it was possible to make back then, dozens of street races and car fights, a 15 hour long SP campaign, a full multiplayer with LAN capacity and 12 hour long "challenge mode".

This is what Split Second has to compare itself too, this is what most modern arcade racers fail to best.

Short list:

Halo: Reach

New Vegas (Bugs more than gameplay)

Mass Effect 2

Pretty sure that's all I got at the moment.