Islands beyond the reaches of Tamriel?

ArthurStrife

A project to add a complete continent would surely take a lot of work. Even an island mod like Wyrmstooth seems to be a rather sizeable project. And making all the caves, ruins, cities and such is a lot of work. Even if it were an expedition mod, the new worldspaces needed would take an insane amount of work - unless the author would like it to be plain snowy desert with some trees placed via random generation or something like it. Pathgrids, items, races, creatures, sounds, NPCs, AI, locations, factions, quests, scripts and everything would be needed. And new flora and architecture, of course. So it is possible that it will never happen. Unless Bethesda makes another Elder Scrolls game and has it take place in one of the other continents, which I doubt, as there are still unused areas on Tamriel (ESO and Arena not counting, of course).

The Dragonborn DLC for Skyrim or Shivering Isles for Oblivion are good examples of how much would be needed to make a new continent. They were created by hired people, though, and possibly do not represent the resources a moddign community would need to do the same. There is also the Elsweyr The Deserts of Anequina mod for Oblivion, which is a project of a larger scale and a great example of how many years it would take from a modding community to create a new land with new style in items and architecture.

So I doubt we will see such a mod. But you can see if you could make one. Maybe it could become a hobby? The mod would not need to be made in a few weeks. Creating it little by little for a few years could do, too. But that would require deep personal motivation and interest in the project.

Edited by PhilippePetain

• 3 months later...

There is actually a community mod being made for Atmora at least, it is known as Atmora Calling. It is likely to have a few expansions, but the initial mod should be out not too far in the future (definitely before TES VI & maybe Fallout 4). I myself had joined after I had begun on working on a personal project to make Atmora. I have since decided to pool my efforts into this project.

If you are interested in being a modder on the project, check out some of the forum posts around Nexus.

Sounds interesting, but I am drowning in my own projects at the moment. Greedy me. :P

It will be next summer before I have my Oblivion mod projects finished. Or at least I hope it will be, as they might take longer, but I hope not. There is an update to a castle overhaul, a follower management system, a secret project and a new version of a patch for a mod (a very complicated patch). I also have an idea for a new medium Skyrim mod and I need to update my small NPC mod, too, one day.

So thank you for the information and invitation, but I have enough work to do with my own projects already. I really want all their features in my game. Good luck with your project - and especially patience. Building just one castle is already driving me nuts. Probably because I spent the whole last summer improving it, but I need to completely rebuild it now so everything I did last summer was a waste of time. :)

A project to add a complete continent would surely take a lot of work. Even an island mod like Wyrmstooth seems to be a rather sizeable project. And making all the caves, ruins, cities and such is a lot of work.

It certainly would be a lot of work, more of a long-term community project, as you suggest, rather than something that could be finished in just a few months to a year. One way to lessen the burden might be to skip caves and ruin interiors in the main project, leaving cave entrances and ruined buildings as anchor points for other modders to expand as desired... a sort of framework.

Yokuda seems like an interesting choice, since it's a sunken land and would require no cities, just islands that are the remnants of mountain peaks. The ocean floor would be littered with underwater ruins. It would be a good choice for piecemeal expansion: there would be a low-res terrain model to establish the basic underwater topography and distant islands, with only one island and its immediate underwater topography developed to start. Traveling outside that area would get a message saying something like "There is only endless sea in that direction." Once that small area is detailed, the next island and its sunken environs could be added.

Sounds interesting, but I am drowning in my own projects at the moment. Greedy me. :tongue:

It will be next summer before I have my Oblivion mod projects finished. Or at least I hope it will be, as they might take longer, but I hope not. There is an update to a castle overhaul, a follower management system, a secret project and a new version of a patch for a mod (a very complicated patch). I also have an idea for a new medium Skyrim mod and I need to update my small NPC mod, too, one day.

So thank you for the information and invitation, but I have enough work to do with my own projects already. I really want all their features in my game. Good luck with your project - and especially patience. Building just one castle is already driving me nuts. Probably because I spent the whole last summer improving it, but I need to completely rebuild it now so everything I did last summer was a waste of time. :smile:

That is certainly fine. I best expect you will have the utmost luck in completing your projects, however, if you want to contribute in any way even as simple as giving advice, lore, & NPC writing, we would be more than happy to have help. Of course you can always recommend & share as well, even if you cannot join us much. :laugh: :D