CTD upon startup im very new to this.

domingoxxiv

Ok so i recently boguth Skyrim for the PC for the first time and was looking through this mod list ive heard so much about. I downloaded the NMM as i was instructed and downloaded these four mods.

RaceMenuPluginXPMSE.esp

Dual Sheath Redux.esp

Medieval Furor from Oblivion.esp (The mod i originally wanted to play)

SOSRaceMenu.esp

Everytime i have these mods loaded the game will bring up the Bethesda logo and then CTD before i get the main menu. It works just fine without the mods running. What am i doing wrong?

Edited by domingoxxiv

Pretty sure this usually happens when you have a mod which is made up of ESP and ESM (master) files. Also, the DLC (Dragonborn, Dawnguard) are ESM 'master' files. If you have any ESP mod files (active) which rely on an ESM that's not present, you will get this problem.

Other stuff also causes this problem... but this is the number one cause.

Pretty sure this usually happens when you have a mod which is made up of ESP and ESM (master) files. Also, the DLC (Dragonborn, Dawnguard) are ESM 'master' files. If you have any ESP mod files (active) which rely on an ESM that's not present, you will get this problem.

Other stuff also causes this problem... but this is the number one cause.

Ok then. How do i know if and or when i am missing files to have weapons or whatever else i need to run mods. Is there a tool that will tell me if i am missing anything?

best idea is to run the game "mod free"

just to make sure it runs fine ....

then add just one mod at a time

and check again if it will run

until you identify the problem mod

If you launch TES5EDIT checking every esm and esp plugins in the list the program will show you, it will tell you which one prevents the game from working correctly, and why. Like that : "Acoolmod.esp cannot find missing master Acoolmodsparent.esp" Meaning that Acoolmod.esp needs Acoolmodsparent.esp to be present and loaded BEFORE in the load order. The load order can be tooled easily if you use NME ! =)

Or...Get LOOT for Skyrim: https://loot.github.io/ for guidance with load order sorting. NMM, MO, and Wrye Bash can also be used to find missing masters/out of order masters, such as the issue you have. Simply click on a plugin (esp or esm) and in the header summary it will tell you what mods are masters to the plugin you have selected. Then just find that mod in your list (or go download it and install it) and sort the order to match the list in the header summary.

Example: I click on Dragonborn.esm in Wrye Bash. The header summary shows me that Skyrim.esm and Update.esm are both masters. I then make sure that my load order matches the order in which these are listed, as such:

Skyrim.esm

Update.esm

If Update.esm is not below Skyrim.esm in the load order, then CTD when main menu is trying to load.

Hope that helps.

I have a couple of red flags from this. First, if you're not using RaceMenu you don't need those Racemenu plugins at all. Also, with Dual Sheath - since it's not listed - I don't see the sky proc patcher for it so you don't need that either.

But after looking at the mod you want to use that is a weapon addon - looks pretty cool too - and now see what may be going on. Download LOOT like Moto suggested along with Racemenu and Dual sheath which you have. You'll want to download XP32Skeleton. Get this too ShowRaceMenu Precache Killer.

What these will do is obviously add weapons, Racemenu with XP'skeleton and dual sheath will give you the capability to place your weapons where you want them in Racemenu. Scroll through the top tabs in Racemenu (character creation) and under Weapons you'll see a smorgasbord list of weapon placements. When you install the skeleton you can go through and select the animation you want to go with the placement you want. In game you can hit the ~ and type showracemenu to get to it too. The precache killer prevents a CTD at this point.

Install these via NMM and then run LOOT and apply. This should set the load order properly. Then go into skyrim/data folder and scroll down. You'll come to a SkyProc Patchers folder. Run this and it will add a patcher mod in your load list. Close NMM and reopen it and go to the Plugins tab. This patch should be at the end of the list and enable it.

You should be good to go now.

Edited by TheHuntress1970