Flacon/ Eagle Follower

KingPerry0

I use a lot of mods, but I know very little about actually making them. I'm surprised with Falcons and Eagles being already a thing in the game, that nobody thought or tried to make one a follower. I feel like by somehow combining a Dragon's AI with a nice HQ Falcon model, could make for a pretty bad ass follower. Maybe make it able to perch on your shoulder, or screech instead of roar. Sounds ambitious, but does it sound possible at all?

Edit: Random Ideas I thought of:

~When running outside of combat the bird follows behind you like a normal follower. But, when you stop and he catches up, instead of flying in place mid air flapping its wings, it perches on your shoulder till you move again.

~A spell that commands the bird to fly around and circle you like a dragon until you call it back.

~It will automatically do this when you engage in combat, swooping down on an enemy to attack it.

~The ability to call it down can be useful if a dragon gets stuck in the air trying to fight it.

~An Eagle vision spell allowing you to see through your eagle's eyes to get a birds eye view of the area. I figure this can be done in a way where the camera follows the eagle as if you were riding it, until you deactivated the spell.

~Different types of birds, eagles, and falcons, that can be used. Possibly even a small dragon.

Edited by KingPerry0

This would be perfect for players who RP their Bosmer characters; it would give a real feel of being one with nature. There were never enough pets in the vanilla game. Would be great for my Nord Hunter as well. The historic and even current uses of falconry to help hunters is well documented, so this would be great for immersion.

Speaking of immersion, what might be a cool way to start the quest is to find and start with an egg: either hawk, eagle, dragon - hell maybe throw in some peaceful creatures that are just around for fun or add a stat boost (a dove could add to your healing skill, a crow to your destruction, etc). The egg stays in your inventory until it hatches, at which time it remains in your inventory but you must feed it for a specific amount of time. When your pet is old enough to fly you can deploy it either by a spell, or if possible make it a normal follower. There is an immersive wolf follower mod that I tried that does something similar. You find the pub next to his dead mother and raise it. You must feed it a certain amount every day, and it eventually grows from one stage to the next until it's full size. I had some kind of conflict and it didn't work for me, but would be a great template for something like this

I made a suggestion about a Raven flight form some time ago and, unfortunately, i think the same problem applies here.
As I understand, while some birds do exist ingame, they are not actors but world objects, so they dont have skeleton, animation or AI. To make the mod someone would need to create it from scratch, which is not an easy task. Not sure about it though and someone more experienced could give you a better way, I just dont know...

I really would like to see this mod, but i just dont think it's an easy thing to make. Lets hope I'm wrong. xD

Lets hope I'm wrong. xD

Unfortunately, you're not; the birds in the game are just animated objects that follow a set path. I would absolutely love a falconry mod, but I wouldn't hold your breath. :sad:

I made a suggestion about a Raven flight form some time ago and, unfortunately, i think the same problem applies here.

As I understand, while some birds do exist ingame, they are not actors but world objects, so they dont have skeleton, animation or AI. To make the mod someone would need to create it from scratch, which is not an easy task. Not sure about it though and someone more experienced could give you a better way, I just dont know...

I really would like to see this mod, but i just dont think it's an easy thing to make. Lets hope I'm wrong. xD

That's what I was afraid of. You're right, you'll need a custom skeleton and AI and everything. You can't just slap on the dragon's AI because it would need to be heavily tweaked and messed with. But that doesn't make it impossible just a highly ambitious project that only someone who really knew what they were doing could pull off. Not to mention the kind of conflicts something like this could create.

Edited by KingPerry0

Couldn't a lot of the behavior files, AI, and maybe even the skeleton template be borrowed from dragons? They're the closest thing to what we want currently in the game. They'd just have to be shrunk of course, and a total overhaul of their skeleton, not to mention finding textures and meshes made/found independently. But using them as a template might make it a lot easier.

Couldn't a lot of the behavior files, AI, and maybe even the skeleton template be borrowed from dragons? They're the closest thing to what we want currently in the game. They'd just have to be shrunk of course, and a total overhaul of their skeleton, not to mention finding textures and meshes made/found independently. But using them as a template might make it a lot easier.

Yeah that's what I was going for. The Idea of using and borrowing a lot of characteristics from dragons just scale them down. What I'm afraid of is it not being as simple as we suspect or hope for.