Will Oblivion run on Windows 7

glensh

I am building a new comp, and building it to spec to run oblivion at its full potential. I'm just curious, has anyone been able to run Oblivion on Windows 7 with no problems of coarse the occasional crash

Computer Specs

6 core processor

dual graphic cards

1200 watt power supply

cross hair IV motherboard

I installed the Oblivion Game of the Year edition to my external drive and it will not run.

I saw the remark about being careful where you install it.

Can you expand on that please.

And I can't remember if I was prompted for 32 bit or 64 bit so am not sure how mine is installed

Thank you for any help you can provide.

I installed the Oblivion Game of the Year edition to my external drive and it will not run.

I saw the remark about being careful where you install it.

Can you expand on that please.

And I can't remember if I was prompted for 32 bit or 64 bit so am not sure how mine is installed

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Do not allow Oblivion to install in c:\Program Files or c:\Program Files (x86) - basically where it wants to install by default. You can put it in c:\games\oblivion or d:\Program Files\Bethesda\Oblivion or any other place you prefer - just not into one of the standard Windows directories.

please tell me why we shouldnt install in default location, because that's what i did, and the game seems to run just fine for now

The game itself (as installed off the DVD) works fine if you install it in the default location.

It is when you try to install mods to the game that you start running into problems with not being able to see files that you know you copied to the right directory or not being able to find or modify an ini file and silently crashing without a clue. You see, Windows Vista and 7 introduced a new security feature that tries to protect certain Windows directories (such as c:\Program Files) from being modified by malicious whatever. In the cases of programs (such as Oblivion) that were created before Windows Vista/7 even came out, they weren't designed to play within these new restrictive rules that have now been imposed.

Because this new security feature is designed to protect only certain directories, you can avoid all the weird problems by simply installing your older game (or other program) in some other directory that Windows doesn't care about protecting.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a question on this, if I could. I got my version off of steam, and I read this somewhere, so, VERY RELUCTANTLY uninstalled oblivion...

then, without uninstalling Steam, I simply found the steam folder, and moved that onto the desktop... THEN, I reinstalled oblivion (after like 6 hours lol) into the new location of the steam folder (where it goes when you get it from steam) when the steam folder was on its new location, the desktop.

will that be okay? Because I get this stupid error, "Oblivion has stopped working" when I go to exit the program. It's not like a CTD or anything, it's just always when I exit the game, and my mods for the most part work just fine, for example, the start up video replacer and loading screen replacer work just fine, along with QTP3 and such...

any ideas?

AMD Athlon II x4 CPUs at 2.9GHz

ATI Radeon HD 5450 Graphics card, 3Gb memory approx.

direct x 11 installed...

I do use my headphones for sound though....

Unfortunately, Windows (including WinXP, Vista and Win7) relies on the archaic Windows Registry to tell itself where to find programs and parts of programs. And it doesn't change some of the entries in the registry when you move a complex program from one location to another - So, It loses the information on where a program or certain parts of a program are stored. Sometimes moving works and sometimes it doesn't.

Here is the official steam post on moving it to a different location without losing anything or having to reinstall the games.

How to Move your Steam to another location Without having to reinstall anything.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=231