OBLIVION GAME FREEZES AFTER 100+ HOURS

jwoltz

HELP! I'VE TRIED POSTING THIS BEFORE BUT CAN'T FIND ANY RESPONSES. My ES4 Oblivion GOYE game has always ran beautifully since February when I first got it and installed it ony my new computer. I have many mods installed, including OBSE, Pluggy, Streamline, OBMM and every upgrade patch imaginable. About 8 weeks ago, suddenly I couldn't get into Cheydinhal when I had just been there moments before. I couoldn't fast-travel nor walk through the gate. OVer these many weeks, like some kind of virus it's spreading all across the game grid. I can't get into any cities and many exterior land areas also are no longer accessable. As I try to fast travel or walk into the area, the game freezes, the sound loops, aned controls just lock. I have to ctrl=alt=del to get out and restart. Bethesda Tech supporft says they can't help me that it's a WIN7 issue. Others say it's the infamous Shivering Isles Ref ID bug. Others say it's CPU, Graphics Card, etc., etc., etc, blah, blah, blah. A lot of people have encountered this problem and a lot of people seem to have their own ideas as to why this happens but NO ONE seems to have a clue as to how to solve it. I've tried everything and I mean EVERYTHING. You name it, I've done it...reinstall, tweaking ini files, disabling mods, defrag, EVERYTHING! My question is WHY HAS MY GAME ALWAYS RAN FINE AND SUDDENLY DEVELOPED THIS? Does ANYONE have a sound, solid, definative SOLUTION to this problem? PLEASE post a response!!! I am soooo desperate and frustrated. I REALLY don't want ot start over (I have come so far and aquired so much in the game) PLUS I have no guarantee that this won't crop again later even if I do restart. HELP!!!

Are you running Shivering Isles with any kind of mod that gives you a recall spell?

Once I used a recall spell to travel from the Shivering Isles back to Cyrodiil rather than using the "strange door" and afterward I could no longer fast-travel and got CTDs and had to go back to a prior game save and use the proper door. This is an old issue with the game that has never been fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
TO MY RESPONDERS SO FAR: NO! I am running Shivering Isles, I've used no such spell. I've also been told that before as one of the many "fixes" and to date the problem continues. Thank you anyway.I also don't understand the response of "cought wrye bash bloat fix cought" What does that mean? I'm not using wrye bash but I guess I can. Is there a fix for this in wrye bash? Responders please be clear. Thank you!

Here is a troubleshooting trick - return the game to vanilla - NO mods, NO add ons of any kind - only the original files from the DVD.

Bben's Oblivion Revert to Vanilla game

http://www.tesnexus.com/articles/article.php?id=340

Get the vanilla game working, then add your mods back until you see the problem again - then you will know what mod caused it.

Beth cannot help if you are using Win7 as they never tested the game using Vista or Win7. It came out before them.

As mentioned above, Wrye Bash is a great tool that you might consider using. It has a bloat fix that can be applied to a saved game file; and best of all, it analyzes your saved game first for bloat, so you can tell whether you need the fix, or not. It's usually recommended not to fix bloat if the number is below 100.