A better leveling system...

rbc13183

Why can't we just have experience for everything?

XP for killing an enemy, XP for sneaking past guards into buildings, XP for stealing items, XP for completing quests. It's a time old formula that has worked for a long, long time.

Then, when time comes to level up, you can only level up attributes that you've advanced skills into.

So simple, so easy.

You have practically described the leveling system on TESIV

No, you only get "XP" for that stuff if they're part of your Major Skills. You only get XP for sneaking past guards if Sneak is one of your Major Skills. DrunkenGamer, correct me if I'm wrong, but you meant getting XP for everything, regardless of Major Skills, right?

XP for killing an enemy, XP for sneaking past guards into buildings, XP for stealing items, XP for completing quests. It's a time old formula that has worked for a long, long time.

Then, when time comes to level up, you can only level up attributes that you've advanced skills into.

So simple, so easy.

No, you only get "XP" for that stuff if they're part of your Major Skills. You only get XP for sneaking past guards if Sneak is one of your Major Skills. DrunkenGamer, correct me if I'm wrong, but you meant getting XP for everything, regardless of Major Skills, right?

You still get XP even if sneak was a minor skill. And you can still upgrade the relavitve attribute, but no bonus is given if it is a minor skill. I personally like Bethesda's use of attributes and specific class system on major skills. It makes it very difficult to make a 'God' character who is good at eveything. It would make no sense if you wanted to be a thieving character and yet not pick a class the suits what you want.

Edited by Kaylock

So simple, so easy.

You still get XP even if sneak was a minor skill. And you can still upgrade the relavitve attribute, but no bonus is given if it is a minor skill. I personally like Bethesda's use of attributes and specific class system on major skills. It makes it very difficult to make a 'God' character who is good at eveything. It would make no sense if you wanted to be a thieving character and yet not pick a class the suits what you want.

They can still make it difficult to make a "god" character if they just make things progress more slowly (or some such system). But, players who play for five years (or whatever) should most definitely have a "god" character to play.

So simple, so easy.

Other than the fact that Oblivion doesn't use a classic XP system, completing quests and stealing items doesn't get you experience points, and you can level attributes that you didn't advance skills in.

I really hope they don't use the normal XP System!

As you said DrunkenGamer; "It's a time old formula..." - yes, it's an old formula, which is getting weary and boring...

I think they should continue with the system they are using, but improve it slightly:

- Go back to Morrowind's dividing of skills - marksman, blunt, axe, short blade, long blade, (Spear) skills - thus making it possible to specialize your character even more. (Morrowind has 6 skills for weapons, Oblivion has 3...)

- Again, from Morrowind - Light Armor, Medium Armor, Heavy armor - With three different, you can specialize your character further. (i.e Light=Thief, Medium=Hunter, Heavy=Knight)

- More that I have in mind, but forgot...

I really hope they don't use the normal XP System!

As you said DrunkenGamer; "It's a time old formula..." - yes, it's an old formula, which is getting weary and boring...

I think they should continue with the system they are using, but improve it slightly:

- Go back to Morrowind's dividing of skills - marksman, blunt, axe, short blade, long blade, (Spear) skills - thus making it possible to specialize your character even more. (Morrowind has 6 skills for weapons, Oblivion has 3...)

- Again, from Morrowind - Light Armor, Medium Armor, Heavy armor - With three different, you can specialize your character further. (i.e Light=Thief, Medium=Hunter, Heavy=Knight)

- More that I have in mind, but forgot...

There was no legitimate reason to omit spears, merge long and short blades into one blade skill, merge axes with blunt weapons, and only have heavy and light armor skills. We gamers aren't stupid. We can learn a more diverse skill system if Bethesda would just let us. Why dumb it down?

It seems to be common enough on the nexus forum that everyone believes that oblivion is dumbed down compared to morrowind, and that may be true. However, on the other hand the game has been streamlined and the creators at Bethesda must've had good reason to reduce the amount of skills, It'd be annoying if i had to take up all my major skill slots with two different blade, and two different armours before i've taken into account magic, stealth and all the other abilities. Really there was four armour skills, with unarmoured being an option. I could understand the three different armours taking unarmoured into light, but two blade skills are not needed. I have no idea why spears were not included in oblivion. It could've been an engine problem or perhaps they didn't want to have spears and not horse combat.

4. I never appreciated the whole "you've learned something, now you should go to sleep to benefit from it" system, where you then get a “level up” screen, and take a few attribute points and distribute them. Why not apply the same system Bethesda uses for skill progression? I'd rather my attributes increase naturally as my skills increase. Take, for example, your strength based skills. After working hard for a couple of days at "skilling" up in these areas, I should be able to check my character data screen and notice that I've increased in strength by a point or two. This type of attribute progression is a more natural and realistic system, which (1) will help to avoid the whole "permanently gimping your character" factor, and (2) increase the sense of immersion in how you progress. Want a stronger character? Grab that club and head into that goblin cave and go to work for a while. Your character will naturally grow stronger. Want a more intelligent character? Start working on your alchemy skills, or go study and practice some magic. You'll eventually grow smarter.

I agree with you in this sense but apart from the above paragraph I feel it should stay the same in Skyrim..