Paid mods for skyrim workshop on steam

Nexures

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More games are coming out using the same system. I don't know if any of their developers are as fickle as Bethesda with their horrible rates and policies, but this is bad. This is here to stay.

Goodbye good quality free content. I know a lot of good authors said their stuff will remain free but for how long when people can leech off their work and upload it for paid section and not be forced to take it down since Valve said if it was uploaded for free to begin with, it's fair game.

iiiimessiahiiii, on 24 Apr 2015 - 10:22 PM, said:

But where does it end? Ive probably enjoyed more then 1000 mods for oblivion, fallout, fallout nv, and skyrim. Should i throw around literally thousands of dollars here? Do i OWE the mod authors? Im not sure but it does stand to reason that there is no way in hell i can pay them. Do they deserve my money for these mods? I dont want to be cynical but i had a very hard time paying 15 dollars for the entire game and now they expect me to donate 5 dollars for a single weapon? Are they insane?

Yeah you kinda do owe us mod authors. But wait, don't get mad! you owe a "Thank you." when you get a mod you enjoy. Just the polite thing to do. A "Thank you.". You don't owe anyone money and that's OK, Donations? Reserve those for a mod that makes you excited an, those mods that make you say "Wow, this is incredible!" and if you can't afford to donate then tell the author you love the mod and that you apologize for not being able to donate. If they are decent they will be happy with that but if they are a jerk about it then be glad you couldn't pay someone to be a jerk.

More games are coming out using the same system. I don't know if any of their developers are as fickle as Bethesda with their horrible rates and policies, but this is bad. This is here to stay.

Goodbye good quality free content. I know a lot of good authors said their stuff will remain free but for how long when people can leech off their work and upload it for paid section and not be forced to take it down since Valve said if it was uploaded for free to begin with, it's fair game.

I despise Valve for doing this. It's grotesquely dishonest and loathsome.

But where does it end? Ive probably enjoyed more then 1000 mods for oblivion, fallout, fallout nv, and skyrim. Should i throw around literally thousands of dollars here? Do i OWE the mod authors? Im not sure but it does stand to reason that there is no way in hell i can pay them. Do they deserve my money for these mods? I dont want to be cynical but i had a very hard time paying 15 dollars for the entire game and now they expect me to donate 5 dollars for a single weapon? Are they insane?

Yeah you kinda do owe us mod authors. But wait, don't get mad! you owe a "Thank you." when you get a mod you enjoy. Just the polite thing to do. A "Thank you.". You don't owe anyone money and that's OK, Donations? Reserve those for a mod that makes you excited an, those mods that make you say "Wow, this is incredible!" and if you can't afford to donate then tell the author you love the mod and that you apologize for not being able to donate. If they are decent they will be happy with that but if they are a jerk about it then be glad you couldn't pay someone to be a jerk.

No one can deny that in the least. You guys have provided literally years of entertainment to hundreds of thousands of people. That is likely why this is so explosive. Modders literally save these games. Every single one of these bethesda games would be utter garbage otherwise. No idea why they arent just paying you.

No one can deny that in the least. You guys have provided literally years of entertainment to hundreds of thousands of people. That is likely why this is so explosive. Modders literally save these games. Every single one of these bethesda games would be utter garbage otherwise. No idea why they arent just paying you.

Agreed. I love how much content modders have added to Skyrim and am more than appreciative of it. Wish I could actually donate to some of the mod authors who have shown that they love the community and game more than they do a cash grab. Sucks being an unemployed student.

Edited by Erinaea

EDIT: I just realized I'm making it sound like I'm talking directly to you. Sorry about that. It's just the language directed at this new workshop, not specifically to you. Please understand that.

It's NOT about the money. People think paying for mods will cause people to stop playing them. It will just increase piracy, it won't stop the mods from being popular. It's how Valve and Bethesda are treating this right now. 75 cents off the dollar? Content piracy off free mods? Yes, we should say thank you, sir, may I have another. If you got into modding to make money off those mods, 4 years are about to pay off.... not. It's not like Bethesda banned profit off mods up until 4/23/15 or anything...

I mean, I get it man, you want compensation. Not going to fault you for that. But why would I pay Bethesda for a mod you make? Or Valve? Especially if you steal someone else's content or piggy-back of that content that is free in the first place and ESPECIALLY after the mod has been free for years prior to.

Skyrim was the wrong game to introduce this with. I stand with mod creators who agree this is horrible and that people going into this both creators and buyers are really gullible. I'd much rather just pay you under the table. Too bad you haven't created a mod I want to use...

If you need two lawyers and an MBA to make a mod, you're doing it wrong.

Edited by Levantinium

Without modifications it was a very bleak world that was called Skyrim, and not until numerous hours of work by a mod teams were released did the game become more refined and playable. With this in mind there were the authors of many minds that put hours of work into donating to the community with the idea that the community was worth the investment of their time their blood their sweat and tears. I have always been a proponent for trying to give the MOD authors a higher recognition, when they make a mod that uses good development practices. Meaning that the mod performs per the supplied documentation in the Nexus description page. And also that the mod does not break the core elements of the game. In three years of playing Skyrim I, have experienced numerous mods that are not properly documented, categorized, or the effects of the mod fully disclosed. While I understand that you can have conflicts with proper testing you can quickly establish that the mod has minimal or no issues.

I have also run into MOD authors that do not listen to feedback about what you have tested and or observed.

I have also run into some of the most caring and receptive MOD authors here at the Nexus they fall into the category of Elite, they invest Thousands of hours into listening to feedback, and improving their mods and interacting with the community proactively and unassumingly giving good advice and being helpful in supporting the forums and the community here at the Nexus.

However there are others that ignore the community and withdraw from the community, there is too much at stake to permit people fighting against each other.

Unfortunately I look at this kind of like what Mjoll says about the Thieves’ Guild “They will stab each other in the back over a few septims”.

Is this what we’ve become? There needs to be transparency and accountability when you enter into a monetization system there is no way of identifying one person’s work from another in some cases. The current system is also compromised by the ability of the customer to exploit the system there is a bug that has been documented that allows the material to be copy pasted and the receive a refund.

This becomes an exercise in micro economics 101 and that is what the value set by the market is?

This is known as the equilibrium price as determined by the consumer. What is the fair market value of the item? This is setting a precedent with the monetization of these items.

Has Steam/Valve gone too far in trying to create revenue from the work of others because of the economic pressures that they are under with the failure of Elder Scrolls Online?

ESO is clearly a failure when you go and observe play on twitch TV and you see the lack of server population and how fractured the gameplay is after observing numerous times that even with the free play option there has been limited sales. When a business model breaks down it reflects the lack of thought and situational analysis that went into their business plan. They clearly have fallen down in the areas of game play mechanics and never addressing deep seeded problems that have clearly existed since the inception of the game.

I’m not sure if Steam/Valve is attempting to unseat Electronic Arts as the most despised company for 2015.

I, know that there was clearly a discussion about this months ago. The other factors that need to be considered are the flawed business practices of Steam/Valve. There clearly was little thought being given about the firestorm that this has created, and the blowback effect that will tear the community apart and reduce their bottom line rather than in enhancing it. There clearly has been no consideration to human psychology and organizational psychology they have shown that they are capitalists playing and simple when there is a cure such as their is right now people are extremely passionate about their feelings and the discussion becomes extremely polarized this polarization is what tears a community apart.

There tends to be a lack of diplomacy when you are dependent upon revenue stream, that can be difficult to budget based upon broken models it tends to be a systemic issue that manifests itself with challenges of integrity that are misconstrued.

For the sake of the community everyone needs to step back for a moment and walk in each other’s shoes, it is only when you understand the other person’s point of view that you understand why they are as passionate about their position.

Everyone needs to step away and consider the other parties, people who have no vested interest in this conversation need to stop stirring the pot.

This community exists because of the insight of one individual, and that individual has created an excellent community if we allow the community to fragment it does not bode well for anyone.

I personally have enjoyed my time here at the Nexus.

Please end the drama, try to understand what are the forces at work, and the solution is how you vote with your cash. Micro econ 101.

Please try to be diplomatic

Thank You !

Edited by Reynard131

Aside from it being a terrible idea, it could backlash against other modding sites or in the worst case scenario Bethesda pulling the plug on modding capability in their future games.

I doubt it. Bethesda knows modders are the debuggers and patchers for their horrid programming.
Best games ever. Worst crashes ever.