Paid mods for skyrim workshop on steam

Nexures

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. I can see that all the pay mods are unavailable now. Maybe Steam is restructuring their policies so the "Art of the Catch"/FNIS issue doesn't happen again.

Some ruckus was caused, but this strikes me more of 'circling the wagons', wager we'll get a eula/tos update and folks will be able to use all mods for whatever if use the CK. (Something shifty at least.)

Yep. I can see that all the pay mods are unavailable now. Maybe Steam is restructuring their policies so the "Art of the Catch"/FNIS issue doesn't happen again.

Some ruckus was caused, but this strikes me more of 'circling the wagons', wager we'll get a eula/tos update and folks will be able to use all mods for whatever if use the CK. (Something shifty at least.)

I don't think so. Beth and Val are under heavy fire right now. Doing that they'll be calling nuclear strikes.

I posted this on the Steam forums.

Monetizing mods is bad for the makers of mods and for the users. End of story.

Reasons are learning how to make a mod will become impossible for newcomers because all the mod veterans will keep the trade secrets to themselves. So the new mod makers end up either giving up before they really get into making anything worth downloading or just make garbage mods that will break your game at some point and often weeks later discovering it is incompatible with your must have mod of the year. Some of those makers if they had tutorials and someone to answer questions could be the one making a future favorite mod but never get the chance or training needed.

Then you have the veteran mod makers, yeah they will make a few mods and many will make one and excel at it, but they are not going to stick around making mods forever and the longer the title is out the more of them will move on to another game. This is what's called a brain drain, everyone with experience moves on eventually leaving only inexperienced or incompetent.

So you get 2 issues that when stacked together means mod quality will go down over time rather than increase like what happened since Morrowind all the way to Skyrim through FO3/NV. There has been mod makers willing to teach and help fresh new mod makers and they in turn developed more skills to also teach those that come after them. Monetize it and the teaching stops because you will be teaching someone who wants to make what you are trying to sell. You wouldn't want them to know the scripting tricks to make something happen smoothly, you want them to be ignorant and make no mods or mods that just cannot compete due to bad quality. Simply human nature.

Nobody teaching the new mod makers means none of the new mod makers can replace any veteran that leaves the community at equal quality of mods, over time the mods become broken and not worth the time to download much less pay a single penny for.

And NO Bethesda's Wiki tutorials are the go to place to learn to make mods, familiarize yourself with the CK? sure. Learn to make great mods? Not a chance.