Quick updates to the site, money money money edition

Dark0ne

In response to post #24603219. #24603519, #24603624 are all replies on the same post.

Rifleman556 wrote:
Milleuros wrote: Either you support something or you don't. Nexus has advertising (disable your adblock) and donations, this should give them enough money.

By agreeing on a contract with Valve, they are silently positioning the Nexus as a partner of this new mod business. That's how it works.
Rifleman556 wrote: That's not how it works lol

Legal Reasons why, the Nexus is basically a Hosting Site, you advertise your mod on this site, and the site makes money off traffic and donations, so in-order to keep the Nexus quiet from any liability from legal reasons, they have to accept some sort of portion if the authors sought to profit off the work as well.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24602549. #24602904 is also a reply to the same post.

flapzilla wrote:
WightMage wrote: Peace.

Sorry to say, but with that useless attitude, every single company in the world would try and succeed F******** you in the ***.
So yeah, peace. But im going to fight for the things I love and enjoy. Modding is one of these things.

In response to post #24603119. #24603684 is also a reply to the same post.

FillipeMattos wrote:
DarthOmix wrote: A lawyer from Valve said it was fair game, he talked it over with Fore and agreed to refund everyone who paid for it.

Essentially if every person who made a mod were to sought out a copy right, they could infact sue Valve, before it was taken down ofcourse.

In response to post #24601529. #24601674, #24601979, #24602179, #24602339, #24602474, #24602649, #24602999, #24603129, #24603224, #24603254, #24603334, #24603419, #24603439, #24603589, #24603639, #24603674 are all replies on the same post.

FillipeMattos wrote:
visorak wrote: Valve/bethesda's option is making Nintendo's look like a way better deal (still isn't).
Blademaster1215 wrote: Posting a review is not the gaming companies content, it is critique of their content and protected under Fair Use laws, commentated gameplay walkthroughs are under the same protection. Don't eat what certain companies try to feed you.
FillipeMattos wrote: The problem is that youtuber gamer reveal too spoiler.

You are able to watch an entire game on youtube watching all possible spoilers.

Games that look like interactive movies, example, Life is Strange, Beyond: Two Souls (and others) fail to sell because people have seen the whole game in the videos.
Blademaster1215 wrote: Beyond Two Souls didn't sell because it was a bad game.

Life Is Strange didn't sell because it looked boring to most browsers.
FillipeMattos wrote: Wrong, these were not the only cases many good games (focused on stories) fail to sell because the youtubers have explored everything. So there is not more grace in buying the game.
Blademaster1215 wrote: Why didn't GTAV underperform then? RadBrad did pretty much everything in that game along with a hundred other walkthrough youtubers.

Good games with competent marketing sell well.
FillipeMattos wrote: GTA is not linear.
sesom wrote: Yeah and modmakers should get money from the youtubers who are using their mods too. Correct?
Blademaster1215 wrote: Tomb Raider is pretty linear (all of them, including the reboot) But they all sold decently, and the last one broke records.
FillipeMattos wrote: Yes, everything is connected.
FillipeMattos wrote: Tomb Raider sell much more if not for the spoilers. I know people who stopped buying the game after all watched the youtube.
Aynien wrote: Your argument doesn't make any sense at all, it's like you are saying that movies sold badly because people watched it online, not because the movie sucked so hard that no one wanted to watch it.

Youtuber gamers make money, but NO ONE is paying them in order to WATCH their videos. You can go to any partnered youtuber and his content will be there for anyone to watch. If a modder releases a mod behind a pay wall, no one will get access to it unless they PAY for it.
Blademaster1215 wrote: You know some really dumb people then.
FillipeMattos wrote: Game companies have given permission for youtubers release spoilers for the whole game?
DeCapitan wrote: They get paid through advertising revenue not a pay wall. Very very different.
Aynien wrote: Movie companies have given permission for uploaders to release spoilers for the whole movie?

Yes, we do not pay anything. But the case is not it. Do youtubers have permission to disclose the entire game spoilers for their users? Will make complete gameplays is a form of advertising or are taking advantage of the work of others to profit? The same thing is with the mods paid in steam. Edited by FillipeMattos

In response to post #24603119. #24603684, #24603834 are all replies on the same post.

FillipeMattos wrote:
DarthOmix wrote: A lawyer from Valve said it was fair game, he talked it over with Fore and agreed to refund everyone who paid for it.
Rifleman556 wrote: Essentially if every person who made a mod were to sought out a copy right, they could infact sue Valve, before it was taken down ofcourse.

It was and wasn't free game, the content can only be used legally for what the author allows.

im glad nexus is going this direction with the news of the "paid mods" i previously never knew that you could donate i just was thinking that the modders would get portions of the ad revenue. this is exactly what we need with valve and bethesda trying to make mods like a micro-transaction or DLC, but i can understand both companies and content creators trying to get some money from an untapped well. although this is not what should have happened they should have implemented a donation system with maybe some of the donations (a small fraction like maybe 3%) going to one or both of the companies then everyone is happy.

In response to post #24603119. #24603684, #24603834, #24603914 are all replies on the same post.

FillipeMattos wrote:
Rifleman556 wrote: Essentially if every person who made a mod were to sought out a copy right, they could infact sue Valve, before it was taken down ofcourse.
Rifleman556 wrote: It was and wasn't free game, the content can only be used legally for what the author allows.

i called for him to get banned here on the nexus along with anyone else that signed up for the 25% con job.

But lets face it, they've already recieved their punishment. everyone has been getting flamed and harassed. I don't want to cause them any more pain and suffering. I would like to think they learned their lesson. It was a selfish move on their part, but it wasn't an unjustifiable move.

If everyone made money on their mods, it might produce higher quality mods but it would destroy the average modder and make using mods far more difficult. It also has serious liability issues with selling a digital product, and so far there is no consumer protection.

In response to post #24601489. #24601644, #24601719, #24601884, #24601969, #24602009, #24602079, #24602239, #24602539, #24602874, #24603004, #24603284, #24603614 are all replies on the same post.

PotatoHunter wrote:
homeiswonderland wrote: "We?" Please, speak for yourself...
PotatoHunter wrote: I've been going site to site, spreading the petition, fighting the good fight, and now I'm starting to feel betrayed and angry because I just found out about this. U'd feel the same too.
flamenx01 wrote: It's an opt-in (as in it's up to the modder) 1%-5% (of valves cut) donation to the nexus.
jl144740 wrote: Calm down they understand us, unlike Valve. Did Nexus tell you that there mods cost money(?) No so calm down
PotatoHunter wrote: Yeah I understand this, but they are the leaders of this community and they are speaking out against it. You can't speak out against something while having money trickle in your back pocket simultaneously, even if your upfront about it. Your on one side or another.
homeiswonderland wrote: What's going on sucks. You're saying you just found out about the service providers thing? Let's take a step back, do a little more research, and let hurt feelings subside. Even if nexus is being a bit hypocritical (and I'm not saying they are), attacking them is not the thing to do right now. Let's just focus on mods not getting stolen and supporting those anxious modders who are hiding their mods out of fear.
Finnien wrote: Do you have any idea how much a site like this costs to run? If Valve wants to pay a VERY small portion of its portion to Nexus, all it does is help keep free modding afloat. It's VERY clear that Nexus has every intention of not only keeping mods free, but of allowing modders here to actively work together against their mods being used in paid content.

Stow the righteous and misplaced anger, and actually read all the news posts. What you're proposing isn't just cutting off the nose to spite the face, it's cutting off your right leg to spite a toe on your left foot.
homeiswonderland wrote:
Dark0ne's explaining it/defending his stance here.
PotatoHunter wrote: Look, okay maybe I got overzealous in my original post. I'll openly admit it, I was wrong, but I also read all the news posts completely.

So taking a cut of paid mods to support free mods is a good idea? I dont think so. You can't have the best of both worlds. Corporate greed will win if theres not 100% opposition to this. I'm not saying that Nexus doesnt deserve money, they definently do for everything they've done. Modders also deserve money for their mods. But its money from a program hellbent on destroying the free modding community. And the almighty Valve gets 75 percent.

But this program is evil. There will not be a co-existance of paid content and free content. To think that is naive. There are rumours out there that the paid content is already being taken down. I hope thats true. I just feel that even accepting a small cut of the money is a little bit hypocritical in my eyes.

And look, I'm not a premium member. I've used Nexus since Oblivion, and I never donated either. Maybe in the long run, this'll be a good thing. Maybe I should join premium and give a mod author a couple bucks here or there once a while. But I stand by my original point. Accepting money from this service is like Ulfric Stormcloak getting a cut of Thalmor money for fighting the Empire for them (who even knows, maybe he was). Even if the money amounts to an iron dagger. Its the principle.
sesom wrote: Nexus is no leader. I don't have one.
phellen wrote: This makes sense from a business stand point. Remember guys, Valve wants free mods and paid mods to co-exist. This ensures the growth and stability of their paid workship. Free mods lead to people wanting to improve their skills and try their hand at selling mods. The main question is did the nexus know about all this beforehand? Did valve contact them to be the messengers, to predict and announce it was happening to kind of ease everyone in a little ahead of time? I'm unsure now, although I'd like to believe that the nexus was just as surprised as we all were.
Milleuros wrote: @phellen :

They were contacted beforehands so they could make the agreement on the 1-5% part. There is somewhere on this comment page a link to Nexus' answer on Reddit.

Slight correction: Valve wants paid mods and free mods to co-exist PRECISELY TO THE DEGREE OF WHATEVER MAKES THEM MOST MONEY.

1. Free mods make them money, by increasing sales of Skyrim.
2. Paid mods make them additional money by the direct sales of the mods.

There is no community concern or altruism here outside of maximizing dollars and cents. The instant an option exists where 2 makes more money than 1, they'll destroy free mods in an instant. It's a corporation.

In response to post #24601489. #24601644, #24601719, #24601884, #24601969, #24602009, #24602079, #24602239, #24602539, #24602874, #24603004, #24603284, #24603614, #24603949 are all replies on the same post.

PotatoHunter wrote:
homeiswonderland wrote: "We?" Please, speak for yourself...
PotatoHunter wrote: I've been going site to site, spreading the petition, fighting the good fight, and now I'm starting to feel betrayed and angry because I just found out about this. U'd feel the same too.
flamenx01 wrote: It's an opt-in (as in it's up to the modder) 1%-5% (of valves cut) donation to the nexus.
jl144740 wrote: Calm down they understand us, unlike Valve. Did Nexus tell you that there mods cost money(?) No so calm down
PotatoHunter wrote: Yeah I understand this, but they are the leaders of this community and they are speaking out against it. You can't speak out against something while having money trickle in your back pocket simultaneously, even if your upfront about it. Your on one side or another.
homeiswonderland wrote: What's going on sucks. You're saying you just found out about the service providers thing? Let's take a step back, do a little more research, and let hurt feelings subside. Even if nexus is being a bit hypocritical (and I'm not saying they are), attacking them is not the thing to do right now. Let's just focus on mods not getting stolen and supporting those anxious modders who are hiding their mods out of fear.
Finnien wrote: Do you have any idea how much a site like this costs to run? If Valve wants to pay a VERY small portion of its portion to Nexus, all it does is help keep free modding afloat. It's VERY clear that Nexus has every intention of not only keeping mods free, but of allowing modders here to actively work together against their mods being used in paid content.

Stow the righteous and misplaced anger, and actually read all the news posts. What you're proposing isn't just cutting off the nose to spite the face, it's cutting off your right leg to spite a toe on your left foot.
homeiswonderland wrote:
Dark0ne's explaining it/defending his stance here.
PotatoHunter wrote: Look, okay maybe I got overzealous in my original post. I'll openly admit it, I was wrong, but I also read all the news posts completely.

So taking a cut of paid mods to support free mods is a good idea? I dont think so. You can't have the best of both worlds. Corporate greed will win if theres not 100% opposition to this. I'm not saying that Nexus doesnt deserve money, they definently do for everything they've done. Modders also deserve money for their mods. But its money from a program hellbent on destroying the free modding community. And the almighty Valve gets 75 percent.

But this program is evil. There will not be a co-existance of paid content and free content. To think that is naive. There are rumours out there that the paid content is already being taken down. I hope thats true. I just feel that even accepting a small cut of the money is a little bit hypocritical in my eyes.

And look, I'm not a premium member. I've used Nexus since Oblivion, and I never donated either. Maybe in the long run, this'll be a good thing. Maybe I should join premium and give a mod author a couple bucks here or there once a while. But I stand by my original point. Accepting money from this service is like Ulfric Stormcloak getting a cut of Thalmor money for fighting the Empire for them (who even knows, maybe he was). Even if the money amounts to an iron dagger. Its the principle.
sesom wrote: Nexus is no leader. I don't have one.
phellen wrote: This makes sense from a business stand point. Remember guys, Valve wants free mods and paid mods to co-exist. This ensures the growth and stability of their paid workship. Free mods lead to people wanting to improve their skills and try their hand at selling mods. The main question is did the nexus know about all this beforehand? Did valve contact them to be the messengers, to predict and announce it was happening to kind of ease everyone in a little ahead of time? I'm unsure now, although I'd like to believe that the nexus was just as surprised as we all were.
Milleuros wrote: @phellen :

They were contacted beforehands so they could make the agreement on the 1-5% part. There is somewhere on this comment page a link to Nexus' answer on Reddit.
empiric wrote: Slight correction: Valve wants paid mods and free mods to co-exist PRECISELY TO THE DEGREE OF WHATEVER MAKES THEM MOST MONEY.

1. Free mods make them money, by increasing sales of Skyrim.
2. Paid mods make them additional money by the direct sales of the mods.

There is no community concern or altruism here outside of maximizing dollars and cents. The instant an option exists where 2 makes more money than 1, they'll destroy free mods in an instant. It's a corporation.

Liability.