Quick updates to the site, money money money edition

Dark0ne

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an interesting turn on modding. Well my 1st problem with what they implemented is the way revenues are split between creator, distributor and software provider. I mean 25% is just old fashion communism :)). On the other hand a 75% for the mod author would have been more promising, imo.

There is also one aspect that i didn't see being pointed out here, the fact that it is possible that the modding community will be enriched with "mercenaries", meaning professional people / or teams with industry level skills that will provide top quality content given that they can get money from this (although a 25% ain't that promising....). Don't get me wrong we have a lot of pro modders but it feels like they are 1 in every 100s or smth like. i won't mind more quality content even if i would have to pay for it. On the other had, we might get some unlawful competition even, from former or current beth employees to have access to original development tools, (maybe an advanced version of CK, maybe havoc animation software etc) and for a buck might be willing to share some things that it would be impossible for other modders due to the lack of logistical resources....

In response to post #24608024. #24608089, #24608264, #24608349 are all replies on the same post.

FillipeMattos wrote:
CiderMuffin wrote: That;s still a really big grey area because mods like Falskaar can do poorly because of their size, especially when there is a 24 hour refund period and people may not have the time to beat Falskaar or judge it properly.
FillipeMattos wrote: Falskaar has an original soundtrack and many hours of gameplay.
The author of the mod would have to update it regularly to correct the possible failures.
pw508 wrote: Then feel free to donate!

I would buy a mod that included an unofficial DLC which show some of the history of Argonians and Khajiit, with dozens of unique and creative quests - (all would pass in their homeland). It should have at least 5 hours of gameplay.

In response to post #24605154. #24607209, #24607279, #24607314, #24607404, #24607539, #24607559, #24607699, #24607944, #24608144, #24608299 are all replies on the same post.

ff7legend wrote:
aimlesswander wrote: very true but valve/steam has caught on to the petition and a lot of the people who have signed it have had there accounts banned. 4 of my friends signed it and lost there accounts . there was no slander or foul language towards valve just going against them they got there accounts banned
CiderMuffin wrote: I find that hard to believe is the thing, that just sounds like the kind of stuff people say to make Valve look way worse.
toggsuk wrote: Seriously? Surely that is illegal, that just seems so wrong.
Rifleman556 wrote: That is illegal, if they can find no reason for being banned, then its a violation of Freedom of Information Act and their terms of service.
CiderMuffin wrote: The reason I'm calling BS on the account thing is, how does Valve know who signed and who didn't? How can you ban someone from steam when you don't know who signed the petition? Change.org doesn't display people's email addresses and unless you use your steam name they have literally no way of finding out if you signed or not. At most I can see people getting banned on community by overzealous mods but full account bans? I doubt it.
troggleballs wrote: If this is true it's criminal.

And "gamergate" was the supposedly biggest gaming controversy last year! Hah! This year sure upped the ante and quickly.
Lordkabal26 wrote: Most likely they had their posting privileges revokes in the discussions due to spamming the link. Spam is a very valid reason for a posting ban.
CiderMuffin wrote: Yea, but when people hear banning they think stuff like losing their account like you lose it if you cheat in a multiplayer game or steal items by hacking an account. Being banned from community isn't really the same.
salvador33 wrote: I was just contacted by Valve's lawyer. He stated that they will not remove the content unless "legally compelled to do so", and that they will make the file visible only to currently paid users. I am beside myself with anger right now as they try to tell me what I can do with my own content. The copyright situation with Art of the Catch is shades of grey, but in Arissa 2.0's case, it's black and white; that's 100% mine and Griefmyst's work, and I should be able to dictate its distribution if I so choose. Unbelievable.

Draugas wrote: This is something modders need to pay attention to before using Steam for paid mods. Steam taking permanent possession of their work.

That cannot be true, there is nothing that Valve can use to discover your identity unless your real name is on Steam (and if it is, why? Take it off.)

Additionally, it is not against Steams EULA in any way.

In response to post #24608469.

hangman04 wrote:

If it was 75% then Bethesda and valve wouldn't make much making the practice a pretty terrible idea (though it's already a very terrible idea)

Now if it was something like 33% split between Valve, Bethesda and the Mod maker that way everyone earns a fair share then that would've been better but the idea is still terrible as evidence with Chesko using assets they didn't get permission to sell. Edited by CiderMuffin

In response to post #24608249.

mALX1 wrote:

(Just to clarify): I am against changing the modding community from what it has always been. As was pointed out in the above statement - the sharing, the feeling of community we've always had has already been shattered by the changes being made.

In the past, despite the numerous mod hosting sites that could have been considered "in competition" with each other, they never were. We were one big community regardless which site we hosted our mods on.

That has changed, and most of the other sites have fallen and are no longer available. I really don't want to see that happen to Nexus.

In response to post #24608314. #24608419 is also a reply to the same post.

mineturtule wrote:
Rifleman556 wrote: Do people not understand Legal reasons?

What legal reason is there to say "free mods free mods" then taking money from the selling of the mods? I think that's called playing the ends against the middle.Or simply being two faced.

In response to post #24605154. #24607209, #24607279, #24607314, #24607404, #24607539, #24607559, #24607699, #24607944, #24608144, #24608299, #24608534 are all replies on the same post.

ff7legend wrote:
aimlesswander wrote: very true but valve/steam has caught on to the petition and a lot of the people who have signed it have had there accounts banned. 4 of my friends signed it and lost there accounts . there was no slander or foul language towards valve just going against them they got there accounts banned
CiderMuffin wrote: I find that hard to believe is the thing, that just sounds like the kind of stuff people say to make Valve look way worse.
Rifleman556 wrote: That is illegal, if they can find no reason for being banned, then its a violation of Freedom of Information Act and their terms of service.
CiderMuffin wrote: The reason I'm calling BS on the account thing is, how does Valve know who signed and who didn't? How can you ban someone from steam when you don't know who signed the petition? Change.org doesn't display people's email addresses and unless you use your steam name they have literally no way of finding out if you signed or not. At most I can see people getting banned on community by overzealous mods but full account bans? I doubt it.

And "gamergate" was the supposedly biggest gaming controversy last year! Hah! This year sure upped the ante and quickly.
Lordkabal26 wrote: Most likely they had their posting privileges revokes in the discussions due to spamming the link. Spam is a very valid reason for a posting ban.
CiderMuffin wrote: Yea, but when people hear banning they think stuff like losing their account like you lose it if you cheat in a multiplayer game or steal items by hacking an account. Being banned from community isn't really the same.
salvador33 wrote: I was just contacted by Valve's lawyer. He stated that they will not remove the content unless "legally compelled to do so", and that they will make the file visible only to currently paid users. I am beside myself with anger right now as they try to tell me what I can do with my own content. The copyright situation with Art of the Catch is shades of grey, but in Arissa 2.0's case, it's black and white; that's 100% mine and Griefmyst's work, and I should be able to dictate its distribution if I so choose. Unbelievable.

Draugas wrote: This is something modders need to pay attention to before using Steam for paid mods. Steam taking permanent possession of their work.
TheHumanPerson wrote: That cannot be true, there is nothing that Valve can use to discover your identity unless your real name is on Steam (and if it is, why? Take it off.)

Like I said, if people are getting banned from the community it's probably an overzealous mod that should be discovered and then de-modded.

In response to post #24605154. #24607209, #24607279, #24607314, #24607404, #24607539, #24607559, #24607699, #24607944, #24608144, #24608299, #24608534, #24608649 are all replies on the same post.

ff7legend wrote:

TheHumanPerson wrote: That cannot be true, there is nothing that Valve can use to discover your identity unless your real name is on Steam (and if it is, why? Take it off.)

CiderMuffin wrote: Like I said, if people are getting banned from the community it's probably an overzealous mod that should be discovered and then de-modded.

My account is not banned. I signed.