Quick updates to the site, money money money edition

Dark0ne

In response to post #24596349. #24596569 is also a reply to the same post.

TheEyelessWanderer wrote:
PotatoHunter wrote: Lmao wow. Almost ridiculously accurate.

I think that regardless of whether you think Skyrim belongs to the Nords or whether you're still patrolling the Mojave and wishing for a nuclear winter, it still matters.

Other games with future Steam Workshop support are affected too, like DayZ or Killing Floor 2.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to see a much bigger picture in this whole debacle.

Mods, and open-source type actions, are antithetical to systems of control. They reduce the power that money has over people, promotes art and creativity leading to smarter and more happy people, shows a very positive side to humanity, of trust and generosity and can lead to greater and greater shared projects, even beyond gaming, into the real world.

"The Morgans (bankers, runaway capitalist/kleptocratists) fear what may not be purchased, for a trader cannot comprehend a thing that is priceless"

- Alpha Centauri

In response to post #24595839. #24596394 is also a reply to the same post.

teppic1 wrote:
Ithlia wrote: The mod author has to turn that option on for you to be able to donate to them...as I understand it.

Out of curiosity I turned on the donation thing and it shows up on my profile page. I looked at turning it on for one of my mods and I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I'm not sure why, I just couldn't.

The author mentions he accepts donations but I can't see any links at all for it. I might be being stupid.

In response to post #24595984.

RussellCrowe4021 wrote:

https://www.change.org/p/valve-remove-the-paid-content-of-the-steam-workshop
here's one that's dying for your signature.

On a side note, that guy/gal who made Immersive Air, or HD Air... should upload that onto the steam workshop as a paid mod. Nothing lightens the mood like a little satire now and then? ;)

In response to post #24594569. #24594769, #24594924, #24594949, #24594964, #24595114, #24595199 are all replies on the same post.

Dark0ne wrote:
Reaper0021 wrote: Thanks Robin for staying on top of things. It means a lot. We're just all a bit miffed and scared about the whole "Valve/Bethesda Mod Selling" venture. I don't think it's still sunk in for me yet. I'm still scared about what the "SKSE" guys/gals are going to say about this whole thing as they have yet to weigh in and SKSE is vital to some of these mods working. I think the REAL stink is about to happen sir.
Brasscatcher wrote: I said it aloud last night, when you first broke this bit of news, I'll say it to you now, directly: You poor bastard.

Thank you for your hard work, even if it must be a frustrating bit of groundskeeping you never should have needed to do.
jnfab45 wrote: my first donation goes to the nexus, for the good work - i'am a lifetime member now.

next, i will select my most beloved mods and give the authors some money.

this is how i vote against the steam paid mods robbery.
Brasscatcher wrote: @reaper: They have weighed in, on the bethesda forums. SKSE will always be freee, even for modders who plan to charge for their mods.
Dark0ne wrote:
I'm still scared about what the "SKSE" guys/gals are going to say about this whole thing as they have yet to weigh in

They weighed in earlier today on the official forums in one of the many threads about paid modding there. They have said all mods are fair game, paid or otherwise, and basically nothing is going to change on their end.

They did, however, mention they're working with Valve to get SKSE in to Steam Workshop somehow, but not to charge for it.
Reaper0021 wrote: Thanks Robin. Appreciate the information Sir.
And to you Brass. Don't want you left out man. Ty. Kudos your way.

Someone give that man a medal!

In response to post #24596349. #24596569, #24596594 are all replies on the same post.

TheEyelessWanderer wrote:
PotatoHunter wrote: Lmao wow. Almost ridiculously accurate.
PickleJar wrote: I think that regardless of whether you think Skyrim belongs to the Nords or whether you're still patrolling the Mojave and wishing for a nuclear winter, it still matters.

Other games with future Steam Workshop support are affected too, like DayZ or Killing Floor 2.

I think this will be the first playthrough that I'm on the Stormcloak side. ;)

It would be really dumb and a PR nightmare for Bethesda and/or Valve to totally alienate Nexus mods from the modding scene. After all the modding community wouldn't exist as it does today if it wasn't for the nexus. So I think free modding is still going to be around for quite a while. With that said if there is anything that the Nexus can do to incentivize mod authors to stay and not pack up shop and leave, now would be the time to do so.

One idea is there should be some sort of prize for mod authors who win Mod of the month and/or make the top five.