⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Quick updates to the site, money money money edition

Dark0ne

In response to post #24596124. #24596224 is also a reply to the same post.

SolidusEkans wrote:
PickleJar wrote: We aren't the minority: the petition on Change.org has thirty thousand signatures after 24 hours. The announcement page is full of negative comments, the mods themselves are full of negative comments, the Skyrim reviews are full of negative comments. It's a PR disaster already, at least.

Agreed Pickle. Voices have been thundering over this and something like 93% of it is negative.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the community, every single person, needs to band together to stop this now. This will spread to other games.

However, this is the Skyrim modding community. I think they picked the wrong community / game to start with. We have the power to stop this now. But we have to do it together. Unified. Defiant.

1) Sign that petition going around to start.

2) Make the message very clear to Valve and Bethesda that we will not stand for this.

3) Any mod author whos work is being used for paid mods, or anyone who knows about any work being used in paid mods, MAKE YOUR VOICE BE HEARD AND STOP IT. The more examples of this occuring, the more bad it looks for the program.

4) Mod authors, take a stand and dont give permission for your work to be used in paid mods. Trust me, your cut isnt that big when Valve takes 75%.

5) While I know we all use Steam and generally accept it and enjoy its sales, maybe for the current time being, limit your usage of Steam or atleast hold off on any purchases until this battle is won.

Hopefully this will be enough, but if it gets worse, we will probably be forced to start a black market of stealing mods from the Workshop and distributing them out for free in an act of defiance. Its not something I would want to do. But it'll be something we might have to do.

In response to post #24596054.

sh0d4n wrote:

I know, right? It's a yawning chasm of fleecing, just waiting for exploitation. Oh, and when exploitation is demonstrated, don't think for a second that there will be any real, lasting repercussions for the transgressors. The system will survive. The money will flow. The only people who lose here are the end users.

In response to post #24595839.

teppic1 wrote:

The mod author has to turn that option on for you to be able to donate to them...as I understand it.

Out of curiosity I turned on the donation thing and it shows up on my profile page. I looked at turning it on for one of my mods and I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I'm not sure why, I just couldn't.

After seeing the news yesterday. I made my decision to begin donating to modders via Nexus.

First I should say that mod authors have the right to sell their work if they wish. It is their work and they should be able to be paid for it. However, I do believe that most modders, at least the ones who make the mods I care about, will offer their mods up for free at some time.

Before you jump down my throat, I saw the prices on Steam and they were ridiculous. I know I can pay less than listed, but if I pay only 1 dollar for Frostfall, Chesko is only going to get a quarter. That is B.S. Chesko deserves way more. However I do not want to pay 5 dollars for Frostfall, which would give Chesko only 1.25. I would be willing to pay 2 dollars for Frostfall, which would give Chesko 2 dollars. So in this case it is a win/win. Chesko gets more money, and I save 3 dollars. So Chesko, and many other mod authors, you can be expecting donations from me in the coming days, weeks and months!

Further still, Dark0ne is absolutely right about the issue of theft of modders resources and mod piracy. This for me is far scarier than paying for mods. I support mod authors protecting their intellectual property. However, if mod authors are afraid of stolen content and therefore pull their mods, this would damage the mod community. Just to make it clear, I understand and do not criticize mod authors from protecting their intellectual property by pulling their content down. I just hope this issue can be worked out so this doesn't have to happen.

Further I will not pay a fixed price for a mod when there is no guarantee it will work properly or that it will be supported. And yes 24 hours is way too short to find out if a mod actually works like it says. This is why donation is better. If I play through Falskaar for example, and love it, I might actually donate more AFTER playing it. However if I have to pay up front (which I don't) I might only pay the minimum. And if the mod sucks, I don't donate at all.

The real assholes in this whole ordeal are Steam and Valve. They want to take 75% off the top for doing nothing. It is unfair to modders who deserve to receive compensation for their work.