Steam Service Providers, and some how needing to clarify the Nexus stance again

Dark0ne

In response to post #24649629. #24649794 is also a reply to the same post.

keithapple wrote:
keithapple wrote: sorry for the typo, i mean there's a rumor about Steam updating Skyrim and other games to lock down the game content to not allow external files (including mods) to be integrated to their games... please tell me that this isn't true...

Not sure how that'll work with Mod Organizer considering it uses an external location to store all your mods for the game. The workshop can verify what's inside the Data folder, but MO does not put them there.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24659614. #24660249, #24660259, #24660314, #24660949, #24661274 are all replies on the same post.

digitaltrucker wrote:
WightMage wrote: We'll be sorry to see you go. :(
digitaltrucker wrote: Sorry to appear as if I'm talking to myself, but the edit function appears to be broken (possibly the system may be a tad stressed?)

I wanted to add the note that after discovering that the %25 to the modder is ENTIRELY attributable to Bethesda. Steam only takes %30, and that may even only be %25 if the modder chooses a content provider. What this means for me is that unless Bethesda makes a very rapid turnaround on this, it's over. It's all up to you, Bethesda [Zenimax].
digitaltrucker wrote: @WightMage

I didn't intend to imply I'm going. There are other games and alternatives to Steam. ;) The Witcher 3 is coming out May 19th, and it's NOT Steam-exclusive. GOG is distributing it as well, and I've been really pleased with my dealings GOG in the past.
Fedack wrote: Why? Why are you leaving for that? Wouldn't you show more support by simply keeping your mods free and available on the nexus. You already paid for the game. Shouldn't you actually promote keeping your mods free while doing a good job than letting this affect you? In the end it won't change anything for bethesda, you weren't going to sell your mods and they aren't getting any money from you. All you're hurting by deciding to leave the modding for skyrim is the community, not bethesda, not steam.
digitaltrucker wrote: It's simple, I refuse to support or patronize a business whose practices I disagree with at a fundamental level. And while it may not change anything for the business, at least I won't be tacitly approving it by participating in any way. There are many wrong things in this world that could be fixed if a lot more people would just stop shrugging and going along with something. It's one thing if there is no alternative and my well-being depends on it. My well-being is not dependent on gaming or modding.

Also, I specifically stated that I would NOT pull my mods down. Nor will I be leaving the Nexus.

On that note, can you clarify your comments regarding Bethesda being responsible for the 25%?

I do know that Valve gets 35%, while Beth gets 40%. I haven't seen any documentation regarding who ultimately was responsible for those figures, though, and I found it oddly charitable that Valve is willing to give some of their OWN cut to a content provider, should a modder choose that option.

EDIT: Hold on, where did you read that they're only getting 30? Edited by WightMage

In response to post #24659614. #24660249, #24660259, #24660314, #24660949, #24661274, #24662009 are all replies on the same post.

digitaltrucker wrote:
WightMage wrote: We'll be sorry to see you go. :(
digitaltrucker wrote: Sorry to appear as if I'm talking to myself, but the edit function appears to be broken (possibly the system may be a tad stressed?)

I wanted to add the note that after discovering that the %25 to the modder is ENTIRELY attributable to Bethesda. Steam only takes %35, and that may even only be %30 if the modder chooses a content provider. What this means for me is that unless Bethesda makes a very rapid turnaround on this, it's over. It's all up to you, Bethesda [Zenimax].

Edited for correction.
digitaltrucker wrote: @WightMage

I didn't intend to imply I'm going. There are other games and alternatives to Steam. ;) The Witcher 3 is coming out May 19th, and it's NOT Steam-exclusive. GOG is distributing it as well, and I've been really pleased with my dealings GOG in the past.
Fedack wrote: Why? Why are you leaving for that? Wouldn't you show more support by simply keeping your mods free and available on the nexus. You already paid for the game. Shouldn't you actually promote keeping your mods free while doing a good job than letting this affect you? In the end it won't change anything for bethesda, you weren't going to sell your mods and they aren't getting any money from you. All you're hurting by deciding to leave the modding for skyrim is the community, not bethesda, not steam.
digitaltrucker wrote: It's simple, I refuse to support or patronize a business whose practices I disagree with at a fundamental level. And while it may not change anything for the business, at least I won't be tacitly approving it by participating in any way. There are many wrong things in this world that could be fixed if a lot more people would just stop shrugging and going along with something. It's one thing if there is no alternative and my well-being depends on it. My well-being is not dependent on gaming or modding.

Also, I specifically stated that I would NOT pull my mods down. Nor will I be leaving the Nexus.
WightMage wrote: On that note, can you clarify your comments regarding Bethesda being responsible for the 25%?

I do know that Valve gets 35%, while Beth gets 40%. I haven't seen any documentation regarding who ultimately was responsible for those figures, though, and I found it oddly charitable that Valve is willing to give some of their OWN cut to a content provider, should a modder choose that option.

EDIT: Hold on, where did you read that they're only getting 30?

That is per Gabe Newell himself, stated here:

A summary is here: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/2800044-reddit-ama-valve-boss-gabe-newell-on-paid-mods/

I edited that post, I typed in the wrong amounts (oops). Edited by digitaltrucker

Not sure if anyone posted this. Here's the link to the founder of Valve Corp, Gabe, discussion on the issue (

).

"On Thursday I was flying back from LA. When I landed, I had 3,500 new messages. Hmmm. Looks like we did something to piss off the Internet."

You know, the most depressing thing about all of this is the fact that it's depressing to begin with. Thinking about choosing sides, thinking about "corruption", thinking about how mean people are being to each other over virtually nothing while stating that it's supposed to mean something.

Never thought game-modding would make me more tired than my job in retail. I think I'll just go back to work...

In response to post #24661404. #24661774 is also a reply to the same post.

guiaugu132 wrote:
digitaltrucker wrote: Point of fact: Steam takes %35, it's up to the owner of the game (Bethesda, in this case) to determine how the remaining %65 is divvied up. Steam is actually taking %5 of their own cut and donating it somewhere else if the mod author requests it. Bethesda takes %40, period. This not praising Steam, but it definitely puts a much poorer light on Bethesda.

Bethesda really needs to make a statement about this.