ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Steam Service Providers, and some how needing to clarify the Nexus stance again

Dark0ne

Greetings to All.

I'm not going to get in the middle of all this. Many valid points have been made and questions asked which raise the complexities bar even higher. And I do agree with Dark0ne that it is much too soon to see how this all transpires.

I just want to say to all the Modders: I have enjoyed this community to the nth degree as a self-described mod addict of 8 years. I am not lying when I say I have 1TB of mods sitting in my back pocket (so to speak) crossing several games. And I have loved and cherished each one of them in their own way. From the small and unassuming, to those that took my breath away, all of your creations have enriched a gaming experience that I never thought I would be so ridiculously hooked into. Your creativity and hard work has, and will continue to have, a lasting effect on me and I will cherish it always no matter which way this ends. You have my unconditional gratitude, thanks, and love for all that you wondrously create.

Warmest Regards.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing that sucks the most as a mod maker now is that as I release my mods I have to deal with all the things that go along with doing that. That is not the issue at all, I love the site and I love the community here. But what really sucks is that from now on I have to go over to Steam Workshop every day and check to see that any of the mods that are in review have got any of my assets that come from my mods. That I will have to go there daily and police that cesspool and try and block any mod that that has my IP in them. Lets be fair here. If I make a totally new mesh from scratch in 3DSMAX, its mine even if I do export it into a native Skyrim nif file. If i choose to share that file here in the Nexus community that is my choice and no one should take it from me. So the burden is now on me to not only to help out everyone here when it comes to my mods, but i have to also go there and possibly fight to have something taken down.

This going to be so time consuming and take away time that I should be able to use here and on mod making. Sure it will only take maybe a half hour, but that is time that could go to something else, and lets face it, I shouldn't to even have to do it. Then think of what it might be like to try and get something taken down. So far it seems to have been easy, but I am sure as thing ramp up its going to get harder. I think all of us here that make custom meshes and textures and do not want them used in a monetized mod are going to have to start embedding some identifying marks into our meshes and textures that can prove they belong to us. It is just and idea, and I hate that we might, I say might have to go that way. I have no intention of joining there plan as it stands. Its to complicated and the compensation is just not enough to out-way the effort that is is going to take to post a pay-wall mod there. I truly hope most of the other modders here feel the same as I do. I am pushing forward with the things I have planned, its just I have to go and play copyright cop every time I release something, and how I will have to do that regularly to protect it and keep it free. Putting a notice that something can't be used for a Workshop mod is only going to stop the ethical modders. It is the ones that are out to make a name for themselves using things they have no right to use, that is going to be the issue.

Thanks for your time.

In response to post #24695739.

Grimblight wrote:

That's a pretty good point.

I've been watching this mess since it first dawned on me in a chat with a Bethsoft freelancer that this was coming about a month ago. In all that time I didn't put steam machine and CW together. That's going to be a hard combination to face down.

Does the Steam Machine have free internet access to download files? And can NMM (or other mod organizer apps) be coded for steam machine API with a reasonably limited amount of effort and thus budget?

In response to post #24696909.

Impulseman45 wrote:

I've been baking my company logo into the normals map with a 1px height difference across the whole map. Suck on that, thieves! Rebake your entire ripped model to eliminate my logo! I dare you to clone tool that s#*! out. XD

In response to post #24696069.

sunshinenbrick wrote:

The irony is, you have just offered point and counterpoint on a site that is driven by its users but is enabled by advertisers who count on and are willing to pay to get their product/service exposure. As you become more successful in continuing this dialogue, you are helping these advertisers to make money...and you don't get paid a dime,

We cannot spend even a fraction of a lifetime without willingly GIVING away what others make a living at. Not being aware that we are doing so doesn't explain it...neither does principle nor apathy/motivation or intellectual acuity. Many know full well what time it is. they nevertheless are not interested in engaging in a Crusade

Speaking as an Old-Fart, I have long since resolved myself to the idea that it is a YOUNG-man's world and all others must overcome their disability. OK they gotta learn the hard way, but we all do and hopefully did. But the young have adapted to this new reality before the rest of us...maybe they break the cycle in this too.

So is it safe to say that this is Bethesda both shooting themselves in the foot, and taking their own partner - Valve - hostage over their abortion of an MMO that nobody wanted? Demanding ransom from us or they'll do something drastic.

It honestly kinda looks that way.

But seriously, the day any of us saw an amazing site like this and the amazing scene that are mods for games like TES or Fallout, it was only common sense to realize that it was almost too good to be true.

In response to post #24690474. #24690694 is also a reply to the same post.

mALX1 wrote:
Fittjevel wrote: Go to their user page and select donate, I think there's an option there to buy premium membership.

Thanks! I've found it on a few pages and not on others since I posted that. I wonder if it is an option some members have opted out of?

Why can't a system be set up where every time someone downloads a mod they have to watch an advertisement. Then part of the revenue earned thru advertising could go toward the developer of the downloaded mod. It could be a lot like youtube where the mod developer would have to earn so many "views" (or in this case downloads) before they started earning income. It sounds pretty simple to me, but then again I admit to not really have any knowledge of all this.

In response to post #24695344.

OnHolyServiceBound wrote:

I agree that you should be able to set the range to 0. However you would then also need a way for users to go back and "donate" retroactively if they wish to do so. That is how this should have been implemented. Essentially that's what the Nexus has been doing all along with donations. Except as a modder you would be setting a MSRP (Modders Suggested Retail Price)

If you have previously been offering a mod for free I don't think it is right to cut it and then start charging for it unless you have made sure the paid version is offering new content, not just bug fixes. Still hiding the free version you have previously given is wrong. As a modder you must understand that as soon as you upload your file there is no going back. You are making a commitment to keep your mod up to date and provide technical support as needed. Also I don't remember the exact verbiage but I seem to remember something in the modding agreement that all mods, even free mods are technically the property of Bethesda once they are uploaded. And that was a few years back when I read it.

If your are selling a mod it should be for a fair price and the content should be 100% original, of a high quality and properly integrated into the game. Ideally through a small quest, not something you need to use the console to get. The mod should be stand alone, if not you must get permission and pay out your contributors. If you are working as team your uploader should be someone you trust to allocate the funds appropriately (Steam is right not to get involved in that.) For this to work there needs to be a code of conduct that is honest and respectful to all parties. If your mod dose not meet that criteria than it should remain free. I think there is more than enough room for paid and free mods to exist together.