Steam Service Providers, and some how needing to clarify the Nexus stance again

Dark0ne

Why can't a system be set up where every time someone downloads a mod they have to watch an advertisement. Then part of the revenue earned thru advertising could go toward the developer of the downloaded mod. It could be a lot like youtube where the mod developer would have to earn so many "views" (or in this case downloads) before they started earning income. It sounds pretty simple to me, but then again I admit to not really have any knowledge of all this.

That sounds great actually. It's a proven model that already works. I was just thinking, "Why can't the modding community just push donations as a hugely positive thing that lots more people should get into?"

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something that I have not seen discussed as of yet (and I may have missed it): Who "owns" any mod that is sold on valve? Is it the standard license user agreement? Or can I modify a mod that I obtain from Valve (for exclusively my own personal use)? What about who "owns" the copyright? Do modders retain copyright ownership of their work or does valve or Beth own the copyright (kind-of like PayPal is trying to do with their new agreement starting June 1)? This is a very important issue to address for those modders who may change their minds about what sites are hosting their mods. Changing your mind about how you distribute your mod may invite legal issues if those previous issues are not addressed. Example: If you host a mod on Valve for $1 and here for free, if the modder maintains copyright ownership, then Valve is out of luck. If Valve owns the copyright, then the modder is inviting a lawsuit from Valve.

In response to post #24696909. #24696999 is also a reply to the same post.

Impulseman45 wrote:
Thaiauxn wrote: I've been baking my company logo into the normals map with a 1px height difference across the whole map. Suck on that, thieves! Rebake your entire ripped model to eliminate my logo! I dare you to clone tool that s#*! out. XD

@Thaiauxn Ha I've been doing similar. I advise any modder to do the same. An artist should sign their work anyways.

In response to post #24696909. #24696999, #24697999 are all replies on the same post.

Impulseman45 wrote:
Thaiauxn wrote: I've been baking my company logo into the normals map with a 1px height difference across the whole map. Suck on that, thieves! Rebake your entire ripped model to eliminate my logo! I dare you to clone tool that s#*! out. XD
UberSmaug wrote: @Thaiauxn Ha I've been doing similar. I advise any modder to do the same. An artist should sign their work anyways.

Makes one appreciate the excellent moderation and basis of honesty and respect that exists within this community a lot more. Edited by sunshinenbrick

I would welcome an easy way to pay for mods if the said mods are priced fairly. Steam has been one of the only resources I've bought games off of. I'm very old school when it comes to using money on the internet, I don't usually leave outside of steam and newegg, that's just the way it is for me.

I won't pretend I've donated to mod authors or this site.

My issue with this whole thing is a couple of things, I come from a cod background so my views are very linear.

1. Removing modtools, free modding. I would not buy a new es game if modding was solely based on this new system unless it proved to work out great, more on that later. I stopped buying cod games after WAW with the exception of blackops. 20 hours in blackops and it was a waste of money for me. WAW was the last game with modtools. It was the last game with dedicated servers.

2. Pricing. This is a huge issue on cod games, you pay around $20 for each dlc and you get a couple new maps and perhaps a zombie map or similiar. That is a crazy price for the content you get. They make games half finished these days and force you to pay extra for the complete game. This could turn out to be the same for pay-for mods. There may be a minimum price that modders have to charge.

Let's look at twitch.tv streamers and paypal. Most if not all streamers have a minimum donation amount, why might that be? There is minimum charges on paypal and I'm sure even credit cards, exchange rates between countries,etc. So this may mean a modder can't make 1-2$ prices.

Now I have seen steam sales with dlcs of 99 cents, weather this extends to the modders bank account, I do not know. I would imagine there will be fees somewhere.

Some modders may charge whatever the maximum amount is, what if another modder makes a similar but not an exact copy of the above modder and then sells it for less. Just like phone companies or cable companies. I can't see how this will not affect the community, people will think twice about giving advice to new modders, experienced modders may take a novices ideas and make money off of it. Will the novice endure? or will he simply leave with the thought of "never again".

I haven't donated because I do not have money to throw at games, even though I know most of the modders here and elsewhere are MORE THAN DESERVING, than any cod dlc(haven't bought any of those). I always have expenses like many of us do, and gaming in general comes last. I haven't bought any new games since a big steam sale last year, I bought one game.

Steam already has the ability to make a free play for x amount of time, a demo basically. I bought borderlands 2 on sale because of the free playtime. I just happened to see it in my games and thought why not try it. Steam could make great use of this if the modder is willing. It would certainly make that $5-20 purchase for a mod worthwhile for me. I get to try it, get hooked, then I need it. $1-5 I probably would take the chance. It may not seem like a lot but multiply it by 100. Yes I've downloaded 100 mods or so. I've endorsed a couple at least, I feel really bad thinking about the freeloading I've done. Which is why I really wouldn't mind having a pay wall, but make it so I can at least get hooked on a mod before I buy it, otherwise I may not buy the mod at all, or even the game.

Again my views are very linear coming from cod. The early cods were great, cod4 still playing to this day. Change for me, especially the way they are going, its like this happened before, oh wait it did(COD MW2- and beyond).

I can think of one alternative to Steam's model.

The most common arguments I hear in support of paid mods are "the modders should be compensated for their work" and "this will lead to better mods". The first argument has some merit. The second argument is debatable. The following alternative will address both in a very democratic manner.

Premium content accessed by a paid subscription. A modder uploads his mod, and can move it to or from the premium section at any time. Once a month, a percentage of the proceeds from subscribers will be divided up among the premium mods according to the number of unique downloads the mod has gotten while on the premium list. The rest of the proceeds go towards website expenses, the game author's cut, and so forth.

This will compensate modders for their work in a way that's determined not by voting (which can be skewed in any number of ways), but by real-world popularity. It will also inspire modders to improve mods to increase the download count of the mods. In a way, such a system is similar to how a game itself is marketed and sold.

In response to post #24696069. #24697129 is also a reply to the same post.

sunshinenbrick wrote:
Fowldragon wrote: The irony is, you have just offered point and counterpoint on a site that is driven by its users but is enabled by advertisers who count on and are willing to pay to get their product/service exposure. As you become more successful in continuing this dialogue, you are helping these advertisers to make money...and you don't get paid a dime,

We cannot spend even a fraction of a lifetime without willingly GIVING away what others make a living at. Not being aware that we are doing so doesn't explain it...neither does principle nor apathy/motivation or intellectual acuity. Many know full well what time it is. they nevertheless are not interested in engaging in a Crusade

Speaking as an Old-Fart, I have long since resolved myself to the idea that it is a YOUNG-man's world and all others must overcome their disability. OK they gotta learn the hard way, but we all do and hopefully did. But the young have adapted to this new reality before the rest of us...maybe they break the cycle in this too.

But we must look out for our younger generation no? I mean they are being sold something we used to get for free... man that's the same with everything isn't it? Tuition Fees... healthcare...

Or is that it, BOOM! Sorry if I'm taking this outside of what is my hobby but this is a good micro-economic study of what is going on in so many parts of our lives. There was an analogy brought up about cars earlier, do you know that slowly insurance companies are starting to only insure you if you get the car serviced at your car manufacturer's workshop. Do you know how they could just strip you for all you have... Wow hang on... what does that sound like.

As for advertising, I've worked in that so I do have an idea of the mechanics here. But like that has changed too over the years, I don't like being continuously forced do more things I have less and less choice over.

I love spending my time here, its a sanctuary...

Well I did end up in a full circle again but so will this discussion until time will tell. Grrrf! Oh well it's late and I gotta start making more money so I can keep paying Valvthesda.

Thanks for your comments.