Steam Service Providers, and some how needing to clarify the Nexus stance again

Dark0ne

In response to post #24727139. #24727234, #24727389, #24728144 are all replies on the same post.

Harbringe wrote:
phantompally76 wrote: What we need is a working video link.
locomotive1236 wrote: Your video is not showing for me. However, I have seen that video. While I agree with most of the stuff he said, I highly frowned on the comment about "what have you done for the community?" Unless I misread his statement, but that seem to target those who has not released any mods for the community. It's a little insulting to many users who help contribute ideas, identify bugs, and beta testing mods over the years. Some authors owe their fans a lot for their current success.

You probably loose all that money if it's refunded, Steam get to keep the steam money though.
ScrollTron1c wrote: @locomotive1236

Exactly my thoughts. Very disappointed by Gopher, who always had my respect and from whom i learned the vast majority of what know about Skyrim and Fallout modding.

First off this is an insult to the army of contributors who also spent thousands of hours giving suggestions, feedback, testing and all that. Their work is just more or less evenly distributed among all the mods, with a tendency to spend more time with interesting mods that have more bugs than others.
Without all them, none of the mods would be famous not to mention the level of quality and development progress.

He also doesn't touch the major questions at all, for example how these mods came into existence - by sharing ideas and cooperating FOR FREE. Just for the sake of modding.

Also all the legal problems, how a private person is supposed to patrol the workshop 24/7 to ensure that nobody uses content stolen from him.

At least he mentions that the execution is (quote) "piss-poor", because Steam is notorious for their non-existent enforcements about complaints.
Recently i heard that for example the CBBE mod (one of the all-time most popular Nexus mods) has been re-uploaded by an unauthorized user on the workshop some time ago. The Steam support didn't even answer the complaint.

Locomotive, I think you did misread his statement. To me, he was pretty clearly intending that comment to people who were hurling threats and abuse at modders. I never got the impression he was referring to the community as a whole. Edited by gsb444

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24727139. #24727234, #24727389, #24728144, #24728419 are all replies on the same post.

Harbringe wrote:
locomotive1236 wrote: Your video is not showing for me. However, I have seen that video. While I agree with most of the stuff he said, I highly frowned on the comment about "what have you done for the community?" Unless I misread his statement, but that seem to target those who has not released any mods for the community. It's a little insulting to many users who help contribute ideas, identify bugs, and beta testing mods over the years. Some authors owe their fans a lot for their current success.

You probably loose all that money if it's refunded, Steam get to keep the steam money though.

Exactly my thoughts. Very disappointed by Gopher, who always had my respect and from whom i learned the vast majority of what know about Skyrim and Fallout modding.

First off this is an insult to the army of contributors who also spent thousands of hours giving suggestions, feedback, testing and all that. Their work is just more or less evenly distributed among all the mods, with a tendency to spend more time with interesting mods that have more bugs than others.
Without all them, none of the mods would be famous not to mention the level of quality and development progress.

He also doesn't touch the major questions at all, for example how these mods came into existence - by sharing ideas and cooperating FOR FREE. Just for the sake of modding.

Also all the legal problems, how a private person is supposed to patrol the workshop 24/7 to ensure that nobody uses content stolen from him.

At least he mentions that the execution is (quote) "piss-poor", because Steam is notorious for their non-existent enforcements about complaints.
Recently i heard that for example the CBBE mod (one of the all-time most popular Nexus mods) has been re-uploaded by an unauthorized user on the workshop some time ago. The Steam support didn't even answer the complaint.
gsb444 wrote: Locomotive, I think you did misread his statement. To me, he was pretty clearly intending that comment to people who were hurling threats and abuse at modders. I never got the impression he was referring to the community as a whole.

I can't really add anything to the discussion if someone doesn't point us to whatever video he tried to link.

In response to post #24727139. #24727234, #24727389, #24728144, #24728419, #24728464 are all replies on the same post.

Harbringe wrote:

gsb444 wrote: Locomotive, I think you did misread his statement. To me, he was pretty clearly intending that comment to people who were hurling threats and abuse at modders. I never got the impression he was referring to the community as a whole.
phantompally76 wrote: I can't really add anything to the discussion if someone doesn't point us to whatever video he tried to link.

If you google up gopher videos, you can browse through his most recent ones about the modding situation. He also has some good let's play videos, especially the witcher :). I can't wait for witcher 3 to put all of this behind me. Unless we get paid modding too.....

Edit: Actually, here it is
Edited by locomotive1236

In response to post #24727139. #24727234, #24727389, #24728144, #24728419, #24728464, #24728599 are all replies on the same post.

Harbringe wrote:

phantompally76 wrote: I can't really add anything to the discussion if someone doesn't point us to whatever video he tried to link.
locomotive1236 wrote: If you google up gopher videos, you can browse through his most recent ones about the modding situation. He also has some good let's play videos, especially the witcher :). I can't wait for witcher 3 to put all of this behind me. Unless we get paid modding too.....

Edit: Actually, here it is

@Harbringe

I agree wholeheartedly. Devaluing their own products could very well spell doom if they don't pull their finger out and release games that actually run. A few may slave away but many will think "hang on why am I doing Beth's job for them?" Digital sweatshop is a perfect analogy for me and it really does bring in some legal questions I think.

The other point about what the whole community brings also strikes a cord with me as the whole is always stronger than the individual. Another part of this is the middle-man job Nexus has played up until now, between newbies and gurus such as yourself. The reason this is so important is that Nexus has acted as a massive PR and customer support team for Beth (and Valve in many cases) and we have by and large held high regard and respect for the developer so can justify the sometimes endless, sometimes repetitive support that comes with such a fastly evolving game such as Skyrim. We have always maintained a certain regard that Beth may have released a buggy game but bless... it must be hard and we take the benefit of the doubt that they tried... so we try.

This has all altered that equation completely.

A final point I have is that if we look at other industries, money by and large stifles creativity. Look at the swathe or regurgitated movie ideas and sequels/spin offs, or X Factor and all that malarkey.