Steam Service Providers, and some how needing to clarify the Nexus stance again

Dark0ne

Choose a side Dark0ne. You are either with them or against them(passive-aggresive, so clever). There is no middle place on this one. Mods should be free by it's nature. Donation YES, paid in front NO.

I believe Dark0ne has already stated the "side" he's on. The Nexus.

Do correct me if I'm wrong. :happy:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree when a modder decides to sell a mod that it is the modders decision.

And i hope that modding will be always free. And i don't mean that in wheter or not people have to pay money for it, but that everyone may do it and distribute it they way they wan't to.

In response to post #24637444. #24637704 is also a reply to the same post.

Milleuros wrote:
Dark0ne wrote: I completely respect and understand your point of view. For me, it's about the gesture of thanks and support the mod author wants to make to the Nexus. We all rationalise these things in different ways to ourselves, to make it seem bad or make it seem OK. I've rationalised it so that I'm OK with it, and I wanted to share that rationale with all of you.

That first paragraph (from Milleuros) is actually a good way of explaining how I feel about this.

While it not being a secret, I feel coming forward about it in your first post about the paid Workshop opening would certainly have done more good than bad.

Considering how things turned-out between Chesko and Valve they certainly need to make some changes FAST or it'll continue to be a mess for everyone.

That 25/75 split is outrageous though and modders really REALLY should think about it twice.

"I was, of course, skeptical about it. I went and did my own research. I read and understood their revenue sharing agreement (which is comparatively small and easy to understand), I looked at how they've implemented the system for TF2, I verified that any money came from Valve's cut and not from the mod author's cut and I did some research in to what the cut was (5% of Valve's cut). Most importantly, I ensured that it was the mod author's complete and utter choice as to whether they wanted the Nexus to receive a cut of Valve's cut in all of this.

The system works by presenting the mod author with a list of "Service Providers" when they go to upload their file. They're informed that they can choose to support none, one or more of these Service Providers and that any cut is taken from Valve's cut, and not from their cut. The cut percentage is 5%. Ergo, if a mod author does not select any Service Providers then the cut remains 25% to the mod author, 40% to Bethesda, 35% to Valve. If the mod author picks one or more Service Providers then the cut changes to 25% to the mod author, 40% to Bethesda, 30% to Valve, 5% shared between one or more Service Providers."

So this is what I don't feel right about this whole thing...

If you knew when you researched all this back when they first approached you, that Valve/Beth where to take the larger cut and the modder gets a minimal amount... you decide you want to be part of that?

I in good conscience would have realised what Valve/Beth where up to right thenand turned my back on them and supported the Modders on Nexus instead, making sure they have means to receive 100% of any monies given to them.

So I'm afraid I cannot feel for you, or agree with your decision. You should have backed the modders back when you where first approached. Instead you only thought about how you could earn extra revenue for your site.

@ gastovski - Not everything in reality is always black or white. Step back, actually READ the actual posts here to see what is REALLY being said instead of relying on the hearsay of what someone else said on some other site that may not even be what they actually said.

Here is a famous quote - author unknown

"Never, ever make absolute, unconditional statements." :ermm:

One can say without a shadow of a doubt that Nexus has a great community. Steam on the other hand has much to be desired.

Bethesda would be fools not to take a community of Nexus's size into consideration going forward, logically and if they truly. Can one truly say that Skyrim without mods would still be this popular? If mods were at cost since Skyrims inception would the game still have such a huge fan base? The answer is simple putting money into the mix changes things dramatically, games die out fast without new content and paying to experience a walk around a new tavern or a new set of armor... well its off putting. As a developer this needs to be considered

The way I see things going for new games that get released and the resulting mods, just because Valve does what Valve does:

Valve would implement an online only system for mods going forward, what this means is in order to use a mod it would need to have originated from Steam workshop(as it would have a unique identification, picked up upon launch of the game through Steam)

Additionally mods that do not originate from Steam workshop, ie not in your subscribed mod list, will not function and just serve to mess up the "Steam version game"

With the above in mind, not to be negative I foresee(hope I am wrong) modding becoming limited to the workshop going forward for new games, especially if based on Steam. Piracy will definitely increase if this is the case

One wonders why Valve and Bethesda don't speak up a bit, awfully quiet on their end

-You say the sky is not falling down, mod authors are continuing to make free mods here. But that's just thinking short term. I doubt Valve will get noticeably more rich by the curated skyrim workshop. This might just be a test, the main issue of Valve's step might come in the long term. They will possibly try to go 3 steps further for future titles and become control freaks of modding in general, irreversible altering Modding as it is known now, may it be Paywalls only or even completly taking Monopol and making free modding pirating.

-Nexus is a company after all (being able to employ a full time community manager apparently, so things might not go to bad, but im speculating here and dont have any insight) and it is understandable for a company to take money. I have no clue if you need the dirty Valve money to maintain your income while updating forum servers or not.

It's even more understandable to not want to get mortal enemy of Valve and Bethesda, as big companies can be very nasty. It is easy to say that mods should always remain free here when you actually are forced to keep it like that (i guess you would run into bethesda/valve licence issues when trying to sell peoples mods). But I still trust you though that you wouldnt want to sell peoples' mods even if you could ....

You neither want or can be the white knight of free modding. And I see that Nexus as a company isn't the thing that can be a white knight of defending free modding (on all platforms everywhere, not just the Nexus itself).

But maybe we NEED to stop this thing before it evolves like i described in my first paragraph. Right now it looks bad. Valve is going the disgusting ignore-and-censorship route and hopes for things to calm down and get away with it in the end. If this happens, modding my take serious damage in the far future. It's not about the Nexus, which wants to maintain its status as a <i-dont-know-how-successful-company>, its about modding with all of its ingenuity, and community spirit in general.

This is my opinion. I admit I havent invested 1k+ hours into creating a mod like some other people did, so I clearly accept my opinion counts like nothing to theirs since I hardly contributed anything to the community compared to them. Still, I feel its ok to post my opinion as a user here.

If I'm obviously completly on the wrong track with anything of the above I said, because I'm not thinking/reading properly I'd appreciate if someone corrects me.