⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Steam Service Providers, and some how needing to clarify the Nexus stance again

Dark0ne

In response to post #24636819. #24637264, #24637439, #24637449, #24638189, #24638194, #24638204 are all replies on the same post.

Dark0ne wrote:
Noortje wrote: My fear is the same. Companies will all hop on the bandwagon and companies will no longer allow free mods for their games. Modding will be forced into illegality.
Chrono180 wrote: I would like to express my gratitue towards you, Dark0ne, for being able to be a calm and collected head when everything goes into chaos. Regardless of the pros and cons of the concept of paid for mods, it is good to know that you are able to keep yourself collected and help discuss things in a calm and rational matter.

I am sorry about your missing your trip, by the way.
gunslinger6792 wrote: Never doubted you or the nexus. Thanks for the info now please for the love of God get some sleep.
icecreamassassin wrote: I think that modding is such a vital aspect that for Bethesda/Valve to declare them universally pay only after they have deeply rooted themselves as such a community shared concept, would be PR suicide. They would see a wide spread fallout (no pun intended) against their company and the sales of their next product release would PLUMMET so badly. I'm certain that they must be aware of this and would never do something so bold

and good job quoting robin's entire main post lol ;)
jad31te wrote: " And frankly, I think you are insulting the mod authors who have decided to remain free by saying free modding is over. If you believe strongly in this, stick by them, show them your support, endorse their files if you like them, donate to them. That's what this community needs, not a swirling cesspit of vitriolic hatred. " end quote~

Exactly!! This is what I have actually been putting my efforts twords all night, and will continue to do so, without the mods.. skyrim would be frankly boring at this point. I have invested 707 hours into this game not counting the hours I poured into my PS3..

This whole ordeal the last few days has really had me rethinking somethings, It is so easy to get caught up in this whole thing and b&@*$.. but in reality before today I had never once even considered hitting that donation button. Not that I was objected to it, I just never really thought about it untill this happened.

And there are so many people who really deserve that support from us, I for one will not be Buying steam mods, but instead will be supporting those same people here as I can, where I know they will be getting every cent I give to them.

I want to thank you all so much for giving me so many hours of great gameplay and a great community.

TKHBMVP wrote: Thank you for this information Dark0ne, I much appreciate your open and clear statement and arguments.
I'm not a modder, even I'm running three sites with content from gaming experiences and my own translations I'ld like to share for free to the community.

For me you mentioned three major points to me:
1. Getting paid for a mod, people expecting support for the mod from the modder. I'm not sure if this will be clear to all modder using the paid version of publishing their work.
2. It should be fine if a modder select a service provider to benefit for the platform the modder already benefit in the past. And a platform which shares the revenues with the users to improve the platform is a good choice of donation in my point of view.
3. Finally it is up to the modder what will be used as a platform to distribute the work. At this point, I remember your point, to implement a feature to point out to people during the download process about the donation option. And saying this, I recognized a lot of modders which mods I'm using (currently 305 active mods for Skyrim) that they actively disabled this option on their mod page.... !

Hopefully everybody calm down and we can keep on enjoying all of the mostly great work which has been published here.

Just my 2 cents.

A simple; I agree with you on the most part and I THANK YOU for letting us know how you feel about all of this.
From a 68yr old gamer that has seen most of it and I do understand, even if the bull heads don't.

Live Long and ENJOY :)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Framing your promise as a UK election pledge isn't going to fill many with confidence. :smile:

I'm sure you'll do the right thing by the members here, personally I'm slowly moving from anger to just being fed up with the whole thing, gaming is supposed to be fun and the ever increasing greed being shown by publishers and developers is sucking that fun right out of it.

In response to post #24638714.

jim_uk wrote:

This right here sums it up for me pretty much. I'll adopt a "Wait and See" attitude towards it and just stick with the Nexus....as I've ALWAYS done.

I'm concerned this is going to come back to bite the Nexus further down the road. Obviously if the Nexus is getting a paycheck from Valve every month they're not going to badmouth Valve or take a serious stance against the paid-mod system. The same would apply to the other "Service Providers".

This is the most volatile time for Valve's new mod-monetization system. Keeping all the major players in the modding community from being a rally banner and crashing the train before it picks up steam seems like it'd be a high priority. Because once that train gets moving it's not slowing down let alone stopping. If DLC, freemium games, and microtransactions are any indication as time goes on they only become more and more exploitative. When they were new bright eyed and bushy tailed concepts people were concerned but people said "Just wait and see. It's too early too tell." and unsurprisingly they evolved to be as bad they are today. How long before we're in a similar situation with paid-mods? I'd love to be optimistic enough to think it won't get to that point but the past ten years have taught me it the capitalistic restraint with these things is loosened more and more over time.

So the Nexus doesn't make any major waves in paid-mod's formative months and all is well. Then a year or two down the road Zenimax comes knocking at the door with an army of lawyers to shut it all down and the Nexus sings it's swansong of rage a year or two too late.

I'm not saying the Nexus should be some figurehead against paid-mods, just be really careful getting into bed with Valve.

Really, thank you for this post !

It's clarify a lot of things and remove some worrying.

I am just hoping that the "Thank you" (mixed up with "let's surf on the wave") from Valve is sincere.

If things are and remain as you explained, why not. And wait and see. Because for now, the implementation is not good enough.

But I am totally on your side ! Go to Spain now !

In response to post #24636819. #24637264, #24637439, #24637449, #24638189, #24638194, #24638204, #24638694 are all replies on the same post.

Dark0ne wrote:
Noortje wrote: My fear is the same. Companies will all hop on the bandwagon and companies will no longer allow free mods for their games. Modding will be forced into illegality.
Chrono180 wrote: I would like to express my gratitue towards you, Dark0ne, for being able to be a calm and collected head when everything goes into chaos. Regardless of the pros and cons of the concept of paid for mods, it is good to know that you are able to keep yourself collected and help discuss things in a calm and rational matter.

I am sorry about your missing your trip, by the way.
gunslinger6792 wrote: Never doubted you or the nexus. Thanks for the info now please for the love of God get some sleep.
icecreamassassin wrote: I think that modding is such a vital aspect that for Bethesda/Valve to declare them universally pay only after they have deeply rooted themselves as such a community shared concept, would be PR suicide. They would see a wide spread fallout (no pun intended) against their company and the sales of their next product release would PLUMMET so badly. I'm certain that they must be aware of this and would never do something so bold

and good job quoting robin's entire main post lol ;)
jad31te wrote: " And frankly, I think you are insulting the mod authors who have decided to remain free by saying free modding is over. If you believe strongly in this, stick by them, show them your support, endorse their files if you like them, donate to them. That's what this community needs, not a swirling cesspit of vitriolic hatred. " end quote~

Exactly!! This is what I have actually been putting my efforts twords all night, and will continue to do so, without the mods.. skyrim would be frankly boring at this point. I have invested 707 hours into this game not counting the hours I poured into my PS3..

This whole ordeal the last few days has really had me rethinking somethings, It is so easy to get caught up in this whole thing and b&@*$.. but in reality before today I had never once even considered hitting that donation button. Not that I was objected to it, I just never really thought about it untill this happened.

And there are so many people who really deserve that support from us, I for one will not be Buying steam mods, but instead will be supporting those same people here as I can, where I know they will be getting every cent I give to them.

I want to thank you all so much for giving me so many hours of great gameplay and a great community.

TKHBMVP wrote: Thank you for this information Dark0ne, I much appreciate your open and clear statement and arguments.
I'm not a modder, even I'm running three sites with content from gaming experiences and my own translations I'ld like to share for free to the community.

For me you mentioned three major points to me:
1. Getting paid for a mod, people expecting support for the mod from the modder. I'm not sure if this will be clear to all modder using the paid version of publishing their work.
2. It should be fine if a modder select a service provider to benefit for the platform the modder already benefit in the past. And a platform which shares the revenues with the users to improve the platform is a good choice of donation in my point of view.
3. Finally it is up to the modder what will be used as a platform to distribute the work. At this point, I remember your point, to implement a feature to point out to people during the download process about the donation option. And saying this, I recognized a lot of modders which mods I'm using (currently 305 active mods for Skyrim) that they actively disabled this option on their mod page.... !

Hopefully everybody calm down and we can keep on enjoying all of the mostly great work which has been published here.

Just my 2 cents.

Nostalgiaheart wrote: A simple; I agree with you on the most part and I THANK YOU for letting us know how you feel about all of this.
From a 68yr old gamer that has seen most of it and I do understand, even if the bull heads don't.

Live Long and ENJOY :)

Long live The Nexus!