OBSE not working at all - tried everything

Stants225

okay so I have installed obse v21 for steam following the instructions exactly and when i tried to load it through steam it did not load, but it did record a log in the steam obse log file, but no obse mods worked. I then tried to download the alternate obse launcher which works with steam but that does not work either. I am at a loss at what to do. Can anyone help????

Did you enable Steam overlay by ticking the box in Oblivion's properties?

Here is a quote from the OBSE readme for steam users:

IF YOU ARE USING THE STEAM VERSION OF OBLIVION:

1. Copy obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll, obse_steam_loader.dll and the Data folder to your Oblivion directory. This is usually "C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\common\oblivion".
2. Ensure you have enabled the Steam community in-game, or OBSE will fail to load. Go to Steam > Settings > In-Game and check the box marked "Enable Steam Community In-Game".
3. Launch Oblivion via Steam or by running Oblivion.exe. OBSE will automatically be run along with Oblivion when launched. To disable this, rename or move obse_steam_loader.dll. You do not need to use obse_loader.exe unless you are running the editor.

Follow the instructions for step 2 if you already did step 1. The instructions though should now read, "Go to Steam, right click on Oblivion, choose 'Properties' and under the 'General' tab, make sure the box is ticked next to 'Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game'.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I am having the same issues, and I did follow all the steps.

nor can I get it to work with the Editor either.

I tried different ways of starting the game that might prevent obse from loading but it continued to work fine.

Could you please post a list of your mods in the order in which they are loaded. If you are running any other mods that are intended to do what obse already does, then you may have a conflict that prevents it from loading.

Also check your game saves folder which you can find at C:\Users\(your user id)\Documents\My Games\Oblivion. If your saves include copies with ".obse" after them, then it is working and the problem is with the mods and not obse.

In that case you may just have a load order problem. The best way to fix this is to download and install Loot (https://github.com/loot/loot/releases) and run it to get your load order sorted out. It's not perfect, but is a good start if you want to get your mods to play nice together.

You may also want to check out this thread: Beginners guide to modding.

Beyond that, I can't think of anything else to suggest except to appeal to someone who has had and fixed this same problem before.

Edited by JWMcQuire

Thanks for replying. My last suggestion on this is verify your game cache on Steam. If you don't have Steam set to automatically update your game, change to update automatically.

If you don't have a Steam version then you need to read the information given at http://obse.silverlock.org/ which tells what versions are officially supported and what are not.

If none of that applies, you may need to uninstall then reinstall Oblivion and try installing obse again. Instructions on how to do a proper uninstall/reinstall of Oblivion can be found at http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=561101&st=0&p=8103714&&do=findComment&comment=8103714. This link was posted in a thread that deals with issues related to reinstalling Oblivion and can be found at http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/41082-problems-with-reinstalling-oblivion/.

I hope this helps or at least leads to a better solution or answer to your problem than I can provide. Good luck. :smile:

Edited by JWMcQuire

I haven't verified it but it is auto update so I shall try that.

Hopefully I don't have to do a fresh install. That takes me days....and yes its steam =P I did read all of the documents and read mes.

Thanks for the help and keep your fingers crossed for me.