Game crashing before load option

ssalt

Really the title tells it all, it starts to load ok but crashes before load options. I was going to load up an old save from before I installed Dawnguard and uninstal that extension.

I managed to load the game and an old save from before I installed Dawnguard, but Dawnguard was still installed so I saved logged out and unselected DawnGuard. It's crashing before it loads again!

Please don't tell me that once it's been activated that you can't remove it? :(

I should never of activated it in the first place, my character is just not ready, and guards had started attacking her on sight no matter what city she went to, butshe's not been infected with vampirism? :(

Sounds like load order or a mod needs updating to one that supports Dawnguard. Did you use Boss or Loot?

What does tes5edit say when you test your load order? If you've not tried that get Tes5Edit and just run it. It will select all your active mods, click OK and it will go through each. If the order is out it will fail and tell you why and where. Invaluable tool.

You can also clean mods that may have edits that can cause issues. Here's a video by Gopher showing how to do that. I recommend checking out his channel on Youtube, his Skyrim stuff is top shelf.

You should be able to figure out what is causing the problem but if you run into anything post it up and we'll do what we can to get you playing with DG in the load order.

Thanks Nightbeast, and I am certainly going to download TESEdit and use it, but my problem is remembering how he said to use it. I watched his video and noted as much down as I could but I will be watching it again.

BTW, I think Gopher is great/topnotch also, watched his video on how to istall SKSE.

I was able to play Elderscroll last night but it took a while and eventually found that the mod, upgradable Breezehome was at the root of the problem, it's a pity because it could be very useful. I used the tunnel to escape the attacking guards.

Have you looked into getting something like LOOT to give you an idea of what your load order should look like? If you have mods, then you may need to change their load order. There can also be conflicts, take a look at Wrye Bash, it as well as TESEdit can allow you to create a merged patch which will settle most, if not all conflicts between mods, load order is still important though so also try LOOT, you can let it order your mods for you and it'll also tell you if you're missing updates as well as any other errors it detects (For the most part)

I will butI need help imstalling both Loot and tes5edit my comp is being awkward about them both and I am far from being sure about what I am doing when it comes to installing programmes, I agree that mod is amazing, that ex pirate carpenter had me in stitches and that was just the start. I would like to see him and his crew more often around the place :D

It's a simple install and telling where your game is located. LOOT, is suppose to, sort your mods in a correct order; however, I've been having issues with LOOT and am having better luck with BOSS, which is suppose to be outdated - *shrug. In it's basic form TesEdit runs through your load order and will error out if mods are out of order or missing for a dependency.

After what I have read this can happen if you have some files/mods that is missing a master file, but then it most of the time crash on start-up before you reach the game menu.

It's a simple install and telling where your game is located. LOOT, is suppose to, sort your mods in a correct order; however, I've been having issues with LOOT and am having better luck with BOSS, which is suppose to be outdated - *shrug. In it's basic form TesEdit runs through your load order and will error out if mods are out of order or missing for a dependency.

I tried to do that but I get a error message so I will leave it for now. It might be simple but I am 65 and I get too easily worried if I am trying to instal something new.