Aliens

MadMike710

Food will also no longer be a issue by that point, cloning and genetic modification will get rid of any hunger.

If your a alien race there is no point in entering a planet and attempting to take it over (with possible risks for you) when you could mine one of the other billions of planets.

Food will be an issue because of an ever growing population, a problem that medical advances makes worse. What would the risks to them be anyway? no more than the native Americans were to European settlers.

Why would peaceful aliens bother with us? we're after all a greedy violent people who would pose a threat to them in the future, helping us in any way will surely not benefit them in the long run.

Food will not be a issue at all in mankind's near future, let alone advanced races.

Genetic engineering will allow for larger animals and crops, in the far future it could very well be possible we replace the need for material food.

They won't help us, and if they see us as a threat then they will likely find a way to stop us. We are no where close to being a threat.

You also realize that Native Americans took quite a few European lives? Aliens would have no interest is losing anything just to conquer earth, they could go to another planet without intelligent life to work on.

You seem to know a lot about not only the future but the nature of every possible alien race we could encounter. Care to share your source for these wild claims?

Edited by csgators

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Food will also no longer be a issue by that point, cloning and genetic modification will get rid of any hunger.

If your a alien race there is no point in entering a planet and attempting to take it over (with possible risks for you) when you could mine one of the other billions of planets.

Food will be an issue because of an ever growing population, a problem that medical advances makes worse. What would the risks to them be anyway? no more than the native Americans were to European settlers.

Why would peaceful aliens bother with us? we're after all a greedy violent people who would pose a threat to them in the future, helping us in any way will surely not benefit them in the long run.

Food will not be a issue at all in mankind's near future, let alone advanced races.

Genetic engineering will allow for larger animals and crops, in the far future it could very well be possible we replace the need for material food.

They won't help us, and if they see us as a threat then they will likely find a way to stop us. We are no where close to being a threat.

You also realize that Native Americans took quite a few European lives? Aliens would have no interest is losing anything just to conquer earth, they could go to another planet without intelligent life to work on.

You seem to know a lot about not only the future but the nature of every possible alien race we could encounter. Care to share your source for these wild claims?

Sources for what specifically?

There are a ton of links for the genetic engineering, just search that.

They can claim all they want, what happens if something unforeseen happens and the genetically modified crops fail? Perhaps an alien culture will create a virus that targets genetically modified crops (or a another nation for that matter). What happens if a comet strikes and blocks out the sun for a few years. You really need to stop stating things as fact, anything could happen.

I mean come on, that flies in the face of everything one learns from history.

They can claim all they want, what happens if something unforeseen happens and the genetically modified crops fail? Perhaps an alien culture will create a virus that targets genetically modified crops (or a another nation for that matter). What happens if a comet strikes and blocks out the sun for a few years. You really need to stop stating things as fact, anything could happen.

I mean come on, that flies in the face of everything one learns from history.

Genetics were just discovered in the past 100 years, looking back to history won't do much.

Quite honestly its not a matter of how much food you can grow, its a matter of how many people can get it.

The reason people are starving in third world countries is because they do not have access to food, it is not because food can not be grown in other places.

I am a bit confused with "perhaps an alien culture will create a virus..."

That is the current debate here, I am saying that a alien culture would not do anything like that to humans.

That is the current debate here, I am saying that a alien culture would not do anything like that to humans.

And we are saying how do you know that? For all we know they could come in and farm us as food or use us as slaves. There is no way anyone can make a claim such as that. You are saying out of all of the infinite possibilities you know what will happen.

Again with food, how much food will there be after a global nuclear exchange or a large asteroid hits the surface?

So why wouldn't a violent race master FTL travel? if you come from a warlike species, that is great motivation for technological advances. Please take note of where most of our technology originates. The Military.

Also, just because a race can travel to any place where resources are freely available, that does not necessarily imply that they want to harvest those resources themselves.... subjugating a less advanced race to utilize as slave labor would be an easy source of workers. Granted, our position on the outer rim of our galaxy probably insulates us from being a prime candidate for such.

And what about young races, that have only recently developed FTL travel? What is going to be their primary motivation? Expansion of their empire? Colonization? The quest for resources? Why not find an already inhabited planet, with infrastructure already in place, and simply 'remove'.... by whatever means, the current residents, and move in yourself? Beats having to build everything from scratch.

And we are saying how do you know that? For all we know they could come in and farm us as food or use us as slaves. There is no way anyone can make a claim such as that. You are saying out of all of the infinite possibilities you know what will happen.

Again with food, how much food will there be after a global nuclear exchange or a large asteroid hits the surface?

There will be no food on that planet, that doesn't mean that other planets or spacecrafts do not have food on them.

I already made a ton of posts explaining why aliens would not be violent.

1. If a alien race is violent, it means they will be violent to things on their own planet before extending out. This means they will kill themselves and the things on their planet, which clearly reduces the chance of them extending into space.

2. Once they have a power source that could let them travel intergalactic distances, they will no longer need a fuel source meaning they will not need to mine resources for energy.

3. There are trillions of planets, they would have no positive effects from invading earth and risking their owns lives when they could mine other planets.

4. With the technology to be able to travel long distances, it would not be hard to create bases or space stations that orbit planets. You could farm food and store it in stations, or even grow farms in the stations themselves.

5. Why would they possibly need slaves? You have a power source that can allow you to travel extremely long distances, and you are going to use mankind as slaves?? It would be much more effective to use machinery and not risk a revolt.

There will be no food on that planet, that doesn't mean that other planets or spacecrafts do not have food on them.

What if an asteroid hits the earth tomorrow?

1. If a alien race is violent, it means they will be violent to things on their own planet before extending out. This means they will kill themselves and the things on their planet, which clearly reduces the chance of them extending into space.

You know this as fact? Humans are violent yet we are able to band together in large groups to go off and kill other people/things. An alien race could easily have a hive nature where a singe Queen gives the orders and the drones follow along, the possibilities are quite literally endless. Maybe some species can live in space without tech and have been making there way here for millions of years? The point is you don't know and neither does anyone else.

2. Once they have a power source that could let them travel intergalactic distances, they will no longer need a fuel source meaning they will not need to mine resources for energy.

3. There are trillions of planets, they would have no positive effects from invading earth and risking their owns lives when they could mine other planets.

4. With the technology to be able to travel long distances, it would not be hard to create bases or space stations that orbit planets. You could farm food and store it in stations, or even grow farms in the stations themselves.

5. Why would they possibly need slaves? You have a power source that can allow you to travel extremely long distances, and you are going to use mankind as slaves?? It would be much more effective to use machinery and not risk a revolt.

Why are you applying human logic to other species? Maybe they have tech that runs on organic matter and they want us for fuel. Maybe they have a God that orders them to exterminate all other life forms again, WE DON'T KNOW AND NEVER WILL.

Point 1. Not necessarily true. Just because they are violent, does not imply they will automatically kill themselves off. War is the primary driver of technological advance.

Point 2. Depends on what their power source is, and if they require some variety of fuel to keep it running, or even something for reaction mass.

Point 3. True, there are a boatload of possible planets out there, and we are out on the fringe, so, we are pretty much insulated from any 'bad' things, simply because we ARE an out of the way planet.

Point 4. Someone still has to farm that food, keep the installations running, etc. Assuming that it can all be automated cannot be directly inferred from the ability of FTL travel. Maybe if such a race has had space travel for quite some time.... but, for the folks new on the scene, it's unlikely.

Point 5. Free labor that doesn't need to be programmed, and can easily be disposed of, if they become inconvenient, are freely available, and are basically infinite in supply, and can indeed be self-maintaining? Why wouldn't you want to use them?

Point 1. Not necessarily true. Just because they are violent, does not imply they will automatically kill themselves off. War is the primary driver of technological advance.

Point 2. Depends on what their power source is, and if they require some variety of fuel to keep it running, or even something for reaction mass.

Point 3. True, there are a boatload of possible planets out there, and we are out on the fringe, so, we are pretty much insulated from any 'bad' things, simply because we ARE an out of the way planet.

Point 4. Someone still has to farm that food, keep the installations running, etc. Assuming that it can all be automated cannot be directly inferred from the ability of FTL travel. Maybe if such a race has had space travel for quite some time.... but, for the folks new on the scene, it's unlikely.

Point 5. Free labor that doesn't need to be programmed, and can easily be disposed of, if they become inconvenient, are freely available, and are basically infinite in supply, and can indeed be self-maintaining? Why wouldn't you want to use them?

1. They will not kill themselves off, they will kill themselves though. Big difference. That would also mean they would hunt commonly, and contribute to destroying their planet. Much like humans are now.

2. It would be physically impossible for any known resource to power a spacecraft that can travel intergalactic distances. Even if such a resource did exist, there are a ton of other planets without life you could get it from.

3. An alien race would have no purpose to even come to earth, there are many other planets out there and any system with intelligent life would be able to fight back against them.

4. How can a civilization advance to such a high point without a easy supply to food?

5. Free labor can also kill you, revolt against you, and steal your stuff.

@cgastors if a large astriod hit earth tomorrow, we would likely all be dead, what is your point?

I am talking within the range of known science, there COULD be a giant invisible squid monster orbiting Saturn that can travel the speed of light that is waiting to kill us all.