FOMM Error help

Netwit2008

Hello to all and Happy New Year!

I tried asking this question on the FOMM download thread, but no response there, so I'm coming to the community for help. Here's the deal....

I'm having trouble with all my fomods being deleted when restarting FOMM after installing new mods and playing the game for a short while. This has happened twice now, leading me to have to go in and reinstall all the mods I had. As you can imagine, very frustrating! :wallbash:

The error message I get upon opening FOMM is that the fomods have been deleted without deactivating. It then asks if I want to deactivate them or else....yada yada will happen meaning not good results. So I have to check yes, or it will move the fomods to another folder. I have no trouble with FOMM, it works great. Other than this new development, I'd had no problems.

Any help with this would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Hey Fonger, how you doin?

Yep, I did, but I've been one that has never had a problem with UAC. It asks for permission, I give it and we move on. I had Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Dragon Age Origins installed the same way, on the same machine with no problems. Running FOMM and OBMM for over a year now with no problems. So it could be that, but seems unlikely.

It's a weird error. I'd be more inclined to believe this is a Steam issue. I was NOT happy with Steam's control over my game which I have on disk. I was wondering if there would be any problems with Steam and modding. I'm hoping there is an easy fix to this. Thanks for coming in to help! :thumbsup:

I had an epiphany that I think helped me to find the source of my problem.

In FOMM, when you choose "Add FOmod" then you choose the zip file to open, before installing it, a pop up screen will ask if you'd like to make a copy of the file. I would always say "yes."

The file copy is then placed into my NV master files folder (I create one for each game), along with all the separate sub folders (I create a new sub folder inside the master folder for each mod, keeps things tidy that way). Well anal annie that I am, I wanted the copied file in the same sub folder with its corresponding original file. I think then, when FOMM went to look for the files, it couldn't find them, so it thought they were deleted without being deactivated. I don't know why this possibility hit me like a bolt of lightening, but I'm glad it did.

I went in and took all of the copies out of their sub folders and placed them back in the master NV folder. Since I did that, the problem has not happened again. SO...

-my advice is to either say "no" to making the copy, or be sure you are saving them to a folder you don't mind them hanging out in. The copies need to stay where they are placed.

So I think that was it. Yay and end of story! ( I hope :unsure: )

• 3 years later...

I had decided to do a clean install so I uninstalled FONV and then proceeded to simply delete everything else and reinstall. FOMM was deleted as well as all my mods.

Now when I am trying to reinstall I get an error that mods were deleted without being uninstalled and I need to either uninstall them or replace them.

I hit uninstall because the mods are gone and get an error that InstallLog.xml is nor available. Because i deleted it.

So, i seem to have skipped the important step of deactivating my mods before wiping and now I need to manually kill what ever list has survived the purge of the programs. Can anyone tell me how to clean in manually?

Thanks.

@netwit2008 - I've never had a problem with UAC either. Not sure why everyone keeps saying there's a problem there...

@Sescheraun - Delete all directories where files for the game and FOMM were installed. Should be 3 locations unless you changed some things around. I use NMM and the specific file you mention is located in D:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager\FalloutNV\Install Info\ If you don't delete those files manually, they still exist even if you do a clean install (unless you install to a different directory).

Edit: if you didn't do a formal uninstall of FOMM, do that, delete the directory, then reinstall.

Edited by thedevillives