A very wierd and odd main menu CTD (not missing master!)

GiantSweetroll

Hey guys, so as the title says I am having a little issue with my Skyrim. My game tends to crash after Bethesda Logo, but it is not because of missing masters (yes, I have checked with Wrye Bash and perform skyproc patches). What makes it very odd is that it occurs at random times.

Let's say my current Skyrim status, with 254 esps, is condition A. As I play skyrim, it went normally, until it suddenly freezes in game. Then when I tried to load again Skyrim (still condition A), the game crashes right after Bethesda Logo. If I restart my laptop and launch Skyrim condition A again, it works normally again. That is before the issue rises again.

Now I have tried several attempts. I tweaked my skyrim.ini, reset to defaults, uninstall unscripted mods, and rerun skyproc and wrye bash. No reds, all green. Say this is conditon B now. I launched skyrim and things went normally. But then the same issue arises again and again.

I don't know what might be causing it, and this seems very peculiar. Several attempts (such as deactivating antivirus, ending several processes from task manager, and closing all tabs save skyrim) seemed to be able to fix it (as least I think), temporarily. Stop playing for a while seemed to work as well.

Please guys, I need an explanation and is possible, a solution. Are there any other factors I missed or things unclear? Please let me know and I'll be sure to give you more information. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Perhaps a hardware issue? Maybe the video card is overheating. Maybe your power supply is getting weak. Heck, maybe you need to appease our Lord Sheogorath with cheese (I hear he prefers Wensleydale).

You could try giving your computer a good cleaning. If it's a desktop make sure the cards inside are seated well.

What was the last thing you did before you started to experience the CTDs at logo screen? Did you edit a plugin in TES5Edit, per chance? Did you rebuild your compatibility patches?

What was the last thing you did before you started to experience the CTDs at logo screen? Did you edit a plugin in TES5Edit, per chance? Did you rebuild your compatibility patches?

The last thing I did? Well, I didn't mess around TES5Edit that's for sure. And if by compatibility patches you mean skyproc and bashed patch, then yes, I did update them.

Perhaps a hardware issue? Maybe the video card is overheating. Maybe your power supply is getting weak. Heck, maybe you need to appease our Lord Sheogorath with cheese (I hear he prefers Wensleydale).

You could try giving your computer a good cleaning. If it's a desktop make sure the cards inside are seated well.

It's a laptop. I don't think my video card is overheating. When I launched skyrim my laptop was cool, there was no heat. And how regular should I get my laptop cleaned? I think my my last cleaning was about last month or so.

Speaking of video card, I just remembered something. There was once a hot topic in the community about Skyrim crashing when it hits 3.1 (or was it 3.5?) GB of memory. Could it be possible that I have reached it? I did set my skyrim.ini to allocate 4 GB. Does anyone know how to allocate to exactly 3 GB?

Running TES5Edit doesn't give me any error when loading all active plugins. I don't think the issue is with mods. I think it's either about memory or hardware....But I am still open to other possibilities.

I ran diagnostics and it seems that all hardware are fine (though somehow my hardisks didn't get scanned for some reason). I have a toshiba laptop so I ran the toshiba diagnostic ultiliy. Should I try other diagnostic utility and if so, can you recommend a good one? Thanks.

Didn't test the harddrive?

Hhhhmmm...... Download a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD. Burn it to a disk, and then boot from the disk, go to memory, and run memtest86..... Let it run for one full pass. After that, run MHDD, (latest version.) Or, if there is one, use the specific Toshiba utility on the disk. (toshiba drives are not really known for their longevity....)

For MHDD to see your drive. you may have to go in to bios, and change your SATA operation from RAID, or AHCI, to legacy, or ATA mode. (varies by bios) If MHDD doesn't see the drive initially, that is likely your problem.