Ridiculously lame Umbra kill

majikmonkee

There is another couple of ways you can get Umbra's items without killing her.

If you want it the quick and lazy way...

"coc testinghall" will get you all the vanilla uber-weapons and armor. Apart from the Armor Warehouse, Weapons Warehouse, there is another unlabeled room called "Wooden door to". This room has crates with soul gems, sigil stones, and all leveled & enchanted items in the game. "Player.additem" will give it you instantly, but you need to first look up the item# online. Alternatively, you can use the Oblivion Itemizer to lookup and add multiple items in one go: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=30043

On the other hand, you might want to meet Umbra first...

Go to the Ayleid ruin Vindasel and talk to Umbra. She doesn't attack unless you provoke her. Use the console command "createactorfullcopy" after "selecting" Umbra. Sneak kill the cloned Umbra after wearing the "Gray Fox's Cowl", and take her uber items. This will ideally not attach any bounty or infamy to your PC. You can repeat this cloning to get as many copies of the Umbra-items as you want. This is useful as Clavicus will demand the Umbra sword as proof of Umbra's demise, so you can give one sword to him and keep the other.

Run away if the real Umbra chases you and you don't want to fight her. Remember, she can chase you even if you get outside Vindasel! She can be a tough character to beat due to her leveled equipment, aggressive combat and regain-health abilities. I find that paralyze, absorb health and reflect damage spells work well on her, especially when perched safely atop a pillar. ;)

Note: you will not be able to remove the Umbra sword from your inventory as it is a quest item - it is weightless though and as a weapon, it has the best base damage in the game. Trying to remove a quest item using the console can have unwanted side effects to the gate (sometimes the item enchantment will become permanent effect on the PC!).

Now I just wish someone can tell me how to add Umbra as a companion (CSR and CM partners don't work with her).

It would be really great! :biggrin:

Edited by vvk78

I'm not sure I'd enjoy having her as a companion, there would be nothing left to do for the player with her killing everything in sight. As a general rule, I like my companions to be inferior to my character. However, Corrine does have an orc warrior companion wearing far better armor than she has with a sword from a mod she gave him that does like 15 times more damage than her weapon...but that's an exception for me...

Though we are diverting from the topic, here's my say on Companions.

I prefer to keep the cute companions and pet animals strolling around in each abode/home that I have all across Cyrodiil. Whenever, I am questing in a particular town/region, I dump my accompanying companions in the nearby home, and switch over to the companions who were bored sitting idle at that home. Since I have so many mods installed (hit the 255 Load Order List limit and now on Bashed Patch), this brings in variety to each journey and home I visit, since every companion is different in their abilities, aggressiveness and moods.

Typically I have only 2 companions when adventuring, and I train them to defend themselves well (give them scrolls and let them fight tough baddies), so that I really get a chance to use spells whenever I can. I have never lost a companion in battle till now (I always quicksave before combat). At higher levels (> 50), baddies are not easy to kill by companions, so I prefer my favorite companions to be essential (they can't die).

There are a few advanced companions like Vilja, Rhianna, Arianna, Sonia that are said to more intelligent, likable and won't get in your way during combat. I liked Vilja and the Tabaxi race companions.

If your companions don't obey orders, irk you in battle, can't follow on their own horse or keep squabbling between themselves, then you should take a look at few mods, which can markedly improve CM Partners or TSR companions:

* Companionship Ring (give one ring to each companion, and they will be sociable)

* Summon Companion Ring (easy summon of any chosen companion; good in dungeons)

* Companion Friendly Inns (see Emma's Companion-Friendly Housemods)

* Companion Horse Support

* NR500 (superbike mod with tandem-riding companion - slightly laggy but it works!)

As such, I like to have tough companions around me (even if they are not talkative), so that I can explore/observe more during combat, take screenshots and use spells. That is why I would love to have Umbra. I still remember her as the only character I ran away from, the first time I played the game - so you can say I have a deep respect for her fighting skills (and her mysterious past) and for newbies her wondrous gear/sword are just heavenly. It is sad no one tried to build a nice mod around Umbra the NPC (maybe they feared to break the Clavicus quest).

Since the Umbra sword has the best base damage of all the vanilla weapons (except perhaps the Daedric Claymore), if anyone wants an Umbra sword without enchantments, see these mods:

* Pegasus set , by gorgonzola3000 (it has an unenchanted Umbra sword, called Penumbra)

* Disenchant Spell, by J3X (remove enchantments from items), or

* Enchanting Freedom Plus (add custom spells; also enable the disabled spells like Paralyze at enchantment altar)

Edited by vvk78