Physical capes?

Brendon123123

It would be nice if they eventually include a cloth simulation system in their future games but they don't right now probably because of performance issues related to it.

Doesn't Batman: Arkham Asylum use physics with the cape animations? (Physx to be exact)

Edited by mcole254

Doesn't Batman: Arkham Asylum use physics with the cape animations? (Physx to be exact)

I have not played that game but I'm fairly sure it is not an open world type of game. A game on rails, dungeon crawling or similar can use more CPU power for fancy things than an open world. However, it is a trade-off in terms of features and hardware requirements. When building a game, everything has to be taken into consideration such as how far can you see, how many people/creatures will be in the area at once, amount of geometry on the scene, texture sizes, AI processes, etc.

LHammonds

Very true, and figure that oblivion is running on 5 year old technology. It will be really cool to see what games are capable of that will utilize the latest technology. I know that nvidia showcases real time physics quite often. An example was hair on a bust that was moved around randomly and the hair interacted with the surroundings will relatively low GPU usage. So figure its only a matter of time before this stuff is utilized in video games.

I managed to make a 6 bone system for the skeleton for capes. I was surprised that it actually worked and I didn't experience any crashes or problems

Here is a short video . The cool thing is that you can actually steal movement in Blender. For example I linked one of my bones to the leg bone so whenever my leg bone moves my custom bone moved as well ! You cant see it in here because I rigged the "cape" to a single bone just to make sure that the skeleton actually worked :P

alonso, take a look at RPG-BlackDragon's skeleton in Oblivion Body Resource.

It has bones for robes but not capes...however, it seems people are not using this skeleton because of compatibility issues.

That skeleton ... is just plain crazy ! The author had too much going at once.His robe bones are odd , they have strange properties that don't make any sense and they are linked to one another , with only one bone linking back to the vanilla skeleton.That could cause some problems.

And also , there is a giant collision box on the skeleton which just confuses me http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/wallbash.gif

Actually clothing animations are not that new O.o I have modded for Neverwinter Nights 1 yeeears back and even in that game a great modder pulled off animated capes. But as far as I remember the movement was not rigged to the character animations but rather scripted. The cape moved slightly in what he called "imaginary wind" XD The downside was that the cape also moved indoors. But if a really old engine like NWN could do that, shouldn't there be a way to figure this out in Oblivion?

Actually clothing animations are not that new O.o I have modded for Neverwinter Nights 1 yeeears back and even in that game a great modder pulled off animated capes. But as far as I remember the movement was not rigged to the character animations but rather scripted. The cape moved slightly in what he called "imaginary wind" XD The downside was that the cape also moved indoors. But if a really old engine like NWN could do that, shouldn't there be a way to figure this out in Oblivion?

Hmm, now that is an intesting concept. I wonder if a script could be done to remove and replace several pre-positioned capes to give it the appearance of movement.

You cant animate clothing in Obliivon.