Nexus wiki

Dark0ne

This is great news, since I don't believe there is one central place to go for all modding tutorials. I'm guessing there will (in time) be all availible tutorials on the Nexus WIKI, like modeling, building, worldspaces, scripting you know the whole process? I am really happy about this news woo hoo

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two questions about the Wiki:

1) How to I post a BRAND NEW PAGE? I have my mini-tutorial on using DA mods ready to go. Read the instructions and example and everything, but can't seem to figure out how to create a new entry under "Dragon Age - Installing Mods". :confused:

2) Why are there a whole bunch of Fallout-specific and Oblivion-specific entries listed under "General Modding"? In fact, besides a smattering of others elsewhere on the page, all the entries but one under both the letter "F" and the letter "O" (and perhaps also the only one under "G", I don't know if the GECK is used for anything else) are game-specific.

Hardly "General". :dry:

How to post a BRAND NEW page:

1. You basically start off with a clear and concise title. All spaces converted to underscores and only 1st word capitalized unless proper nouns. Example: Installing_Dragon_Age_mods
  2. Then type the properly configured title in the search bar at the middle-left of the screen. Example: Type Installing_Dragon_Age_mods and click GO
  3. If that page was not already there, it will give you a RED link to the page (Example: Installing_Dragon_Age_mods)
  4. You will then be presented with the Wiki page editor and the contents will obviously be blank.
  5. I would recommend immediately adding the categories at the bottom that best describe the tutorial contents. Here is the list of all current Category Names. Example selection:
    [[Category:Dragon Age]]
    [[Category:Dragon Age - Installing mods]]
    [[Category:Tutorials]]

NOTE: It is best to just spell out the category names as they show on the category list (with spaces instead of using underscores)

6. The rest is just a matter of copy/pasting your text into the editor and adding the wiki format to it.
  7. You can look at other wiki pages to see how they utilize the various wiki code to achieve certain effects or you can look at the MediaWiki Page Formatting documentation.
  8. Make sure to use the "Preview" button extensively before submitting to make sure everything looks the way you want it to. You can always go back and make edits later but it is easier to use the preview before hitting submit.

If your article needs to link other articles in the same wiki, you can surround the title of the article with double brackets. Example:

[[blender shortcut tips]]

If you need to rename how the link appears, you can do so using the pipe character to separate the proper page name from how you want it displayed. Example:

[[blender shortcut tips|click here for Blender tips]]

All external links (outside the wiki) use single brackets with the 1st part being the URL and the 2nd part being the display name. Example:

[http://HammondsLegacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=96 LHammonds Oblivion Mods Site]

You might want to include a "Related pages" section and "References" section at the bottom if you want to point readers to other articles that are related or articles referenced in the making of this article or "sources" of where you obtained the information. Example:

==Related pages==
[[Developing successful mods]]
[[DDS texture tools]]

==References==
[http://HammondsLegacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=96 LHammonds Oblivion Mods Site]
[[Glowmaps 101]]
[[Reflective metal]]

Hi Thandal,

Where is the General modding category? I can't find it (I wanted to check if I had added some wrong categories)

My mistake! o_O I had the "Tutorials" sub-page open under "General Modding". That's a whole different situation, since all those Fallout and Oblivion articles DO belong under "Tutorials". :laugh: (As does my own "Using DA Mods", which I just added, thanks to Lon's response! :thumbsup: )

How to post a BRAND NEW page:

... type the properly configured title in the search bar at the middle-left of the screen. Example: Type Installing_Dragon_Age_mods and click GO

[*]If that page was not already there, it will give you a RED link to the page (Example: Installing_Dragon_Age_mods)

[*]You will then be presented with the Wiki page editor and the contents will obviously be blank...

Thanks Lon! That's the part I couldn't figure out.

New question. Can you (or someone on staff) change the TITLE of the article from: "Using_DA_mods", to: "Using_ Dragon_Age_mods"?

I should have spelled out the name of the game since the entire point was to provide a reference for newcomers, and they may not be familiar with the more common abbreviations we regulars throw around so casually.

(Oh, and how do I embed hyperlinks? Nevermind, I'll read-up on wikis and figure it out! :thumbsup: )

That is the one thing you cannot do. Once a page is created, you cannot rename it. The only solution is to just create another one and send me a link to the one that needs to be deleted (according to the Media Wiki site). That is why it is VERY important to choose the title carefully...not only is it permanent, it needs to be clear and concise as to the contents of the page...yet not too wordy.

One of the 1st wiki sites I cut my teeth on was the Oblivion Mod Wiki. Although some content does not apply at the Nexus Wiki, his tutorial page has some interesting tid bits beyond what the Media Wiki pages say.

LHammonds

... The only solution is to just create another one and send me a link to the one that needs to be deleted (according to the Media Wiki site)...

Lon; So, I messed up again. :blink: :yucky: :sad:

Please DELETE these two:

a) "Using DA mods"

b) "Using DA Mods for Dummies"

I finally got it on my third try.

The RIGHT title is: "Using Dragon Age Mods for Dummies".

EDIT by LHammonds: Done

... The only solution is to just create another one and send me a link to the one that needs to be deleted (according to the Media Wiki site)...

I finally got it on my third try.

The RIGHT title is: "Using Dragon Age Mods for Dummies".

EDIT by LHammonds: Done

Thx, that looks great now. And I see that there's already another article in the category, so we're on a roll! :thumbsup: