Dark spots

KcHart

[sOLVED]

So i'm back with another problem :)

Just finished unwrapping & i noticed these dark shadowy spots all over the model, which is making it impossible to texture.

Has anybody had this problem before? i've googled & found nothing.

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/2259/darkspots.jpg

[EDIT]

Omg right it fixed its self :\ sorry

& if anyones wondering i went into a clicking frenzy, went into edit poly & seleted MSmooth whacked ctrl-z & it magicaly fixed its self.

Edited by KcHart

Hi!

It loks to mee that u are having a problem with the normals.

U can turn on the normal viewing mode that makes a line to show the direction of the normals, it looks like a cactus.

flip the ones that are not going outward like they are supposed to.

Its hard to see from the small pic but maybe some other normals arent smoothing right.

You can fix that by makeing a little bevel at sharp angles in your mesh. subdivide it and bring the cut near the affected edge.

You can fix that by makeing a little bevel at sharp angles in your mesh. subdivide it and bring the cut near the affected edge.

depending of the mesh shape and topology, either that or create a hard edge with smoothing groups.

On a straight up cylinder I will add a smooth group to the cap.

On the corners of a rectangular pillar object, I will probably bevel the edges.

The reasoning is that this way cylinder caps UV makes more sense to me. you are splitting the cap off to it's own UV island anyway, so there is zero extra work.

The pillar, if you use bevel it can all be a continuous UV. And I won't have to split all the faces to their own UV islands so that it can be baked correctly.

However, I may end up not beveling that depending on what I am baking into the surface there, and if I am doing any normal map details post baking. Or if there are other cuts in the geometry.

The main thing is to avoid anything getting close to 90 degree angled faces, and not having a hard edge. That's never going to shade correctly, nor will any tangent space normal maps fully correct for that. It'll just be very slightly off in the shading. Any more than that and it'll be really off.

Edited by Ghogiel

When I encounter this issue I usually just freeze or normalize the normals. Importing models directly from the game with textures, or even when in the process of adding textures to a model I've made.

I'm not speaking from 3DS Max experience though.

You might try decreasing the sub-division level as well.

Thanks for the info guys :)

By the way i went ahead & uv mapped / textured it but i think i have to weld the handle to the shotgun body so it will work ingame..

Only thing is when i welded them together the uvmap decided to scrabble its self, some of the model was textured fine & the rest messy.

Opening up the unwrap uv only the shell round & sliding mechanism was there. Confusing :\

Anyway away to read some more tutorials oh & heres a screensht of it.. you may have noticed im modeling Eli's weapons :) tbh i should of started off with something simple like his name badge ;D

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/7944/870preview.jpg

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/1917/previewsa.jpg

Edited by KcHart

• 1 month later...