Harrassed by a scammish popup.

Vindekarr

With all due respect to the admins and members of the Nexus in general, the common assertion of user's own PCs being infected with spyware causing annoying pop up ads and even the occassional but rare melicious ad popup is really getting old. I've been visiting the Nexus for some years now and there has always been a minor issue with ads at times becoming melicious and as always rather than look to the problem ad in question, it is always suggested that the user should up his internet security and change this or that feature of his browser, or browser all together in order to avoid these dangerous ads and melicious popups...

Arn't we missing the point that the ads in generally need to be more scrupulously handled? I go all over the internet, admitedly to some places that can be pretty damned dangerous, places like filestube, megaupload etc... but I can honestly say that the Nexus sites have the most annoying and obtrusive ads of any place I've been.

It's understandable why there needs to be ads to help Robin pay for this great collection of web sites and they really are amazing and I appreciate them. But really, the ads need to be reviewed, not just now, but on a regular basis.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CONGRATULATIONS! YOU ARE TODAY'S FREE GIVEAWAY WINNER!! PLEASE CLAIM NOOOOOW!

Yeah, that finally prompted me to install BlockSite just to get rid of that junk.

And regarding users' own PCs being the source of this: they are not. However, allowing ads of this sort on your site is a great way to cause your users to become infected -- e.g. My link this case, in which Google, DoubleClick, and other popup ad servers were duped into serving up 0-day exploits.

Sounds like spyware or ad-ware to me.

nah it isent its nexus...i have the same problem bro and i use mozilla and even my pop up blocker is on but still get the same crap my NV always crashes so i wont be coming back here for a while maybe by then theyll deal with it. xP

Edited by Errorloading

I'm getting hit with the same popups myself.

It seems to get around popup blockers. And every time it pops up Avast detects a virus.

I'm getting tired of hearing the klaxons through my music.

Edited by Calvan

I understand the need for ads that provide revenue to support the site. However, the popups are extremely annoying; especially those that make you go through a maze of buttons to get rid of them. For one I got today, I used the Windows Task manager to quit by browser. However, when I started a new session, it opened with that popup, forcing me to read through all the spin, etc. to find how to exit it.

I've been using TES Nexus for years and all my mods are posted here; many not posted elsewhere. If these popups continue, I for one will remove my mods and go elsewhere. Neither I or my users should be forced to navigate through these popups.

The key is to log in, it will set a session cookie and you will not see the one time pop up again. If you are not logged in you will see it in each page load, even if you are a premium member.

If you browser or security settings are to not accept cookies, well then you will see it on each page load.

Closing you browser closes the session, come back you may need to log in again. If your browser is set up to delete cookies on exit, the same thing applies.

If you are logged into the file site you are trying to navigate you should only see the pop up add once. Now the rub, if you navigate from tes to fFallout or DA or NV and are not logged into that site, you will see it again on each page load until you log into the other site.

Buddah

It is Dark0ne' decision, and I can't see the books. However, my one comment is that the popup ads are pushing me towards ad blockers. I can cope with ads embedded into the page, but popup ads just really really annoy me. (Part of this is due to my window manager, which causes the ad to expand to half my screen size (and the other browser window to shrink to half the scrensize) but I am not interested in changing a window manager for a single site).

You should not see adds if you are logged into the file sites, you will get that one when you go to any of the sites you are not logged in to. Also until you establish a session on a specific site you will get that once, closing your browser closes the session.

I'm getting them two or three times per session, whether I'm logged in or not (and yes, I do have cookies enabled :P ). Also, those "free giveaway" and "local mom makes $379/day" things are scams.

The "free giveaway" requires you to make several purchases from a given list in order to "qualify for the giveaway" and the fine print (and there are several pages of it) states that you may get something other than what you selected or nothing at all (which is precisely what you will receive).

The "local mom makes $379/day" thing is just a load of male bovine excrement.

What's worse, some of these popups try to auto-install malware/spyware on your PC. In other words, Nexus sites have become dangerous to visit.

I don't mind the occasional popup as long as it's a legitimate advertisement and doesn't try to install something on my system, but I have a real problem with "scamvertising." Mainly that it's primarily used for stealing people's identities and using them to commit crimes for which the wrong people will be blamed.

As a result of this "scamvertising" and malware/spyware installation threat, I'm seriously considering removing all of my uploads from Nexus. I don't want to resort to that, but I also don't want somebody falling for one of these scams or getting a virus because they came here to download something of mine.

What's worse, some of these popups try to auto-install malware/spyware on your PC. In other words, Nexus sites have become dangerous to visit.

I've been trying to make this point for a long time and not gotten very far. Things will get better for awhile, then a few months later they will get bad again.

I might have already become a premium member if there were an alternative to Paypal or offering my CC data to a security comprimised site. However, becoming a member or installing ad blocker or using no script or covering yourself in tinfoil and praying to Vishnu doesn't really solve what is a serious issue for normal visitors to the Nexus.