Skyrim Information

Zaldir

I just read it. Apparently it's like Oblivion with Deadly Reflex installed: Shield bashes, balance, and dual-wield fighting.

One thing I noticed is that they said "Though the dagger is still considered a one-handed weapon skill,". So they won't dumb down things that much. There are now 1h and 2h skills.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting Ub3rman, I'm going to read the rest of that article... but that picture at the beginning, while cool, keeps bugging me with the character wielding a rather poorly modeled, bulky sword... They could at the least put some specular on it so it looked like it was metal and not stone. Anyone else think besides the character models Skyrim doesn't look like that much of a visual upgrade from Oblivion?

@Fatalmasterpiece

Maybe a bit. Hey, it's on the same consoles as Oblivion. It can't be the same technology jump as between Morrowind and Oblivion or Daggerfall and Morrowind. But I'm glad. Oblivion was pretty enough for me and if Skyrim will look like this maybe I won't have to upgrade my PC.

If I remember correctly a lot of the screen shots are artistic renderings of the game, or an idea of what they want, example is the time elapse video! I may be wrong tho.

Combat is definitely an improvement from Oblivion, I especially like this " . . . any weapon or spell to either one of their character’s free hands." Makes me seem like it brings Morrrowind's magic casting back!

Beth also kind of admitted to the mods subject "After playing an Oblivion mod that turned the bow and arrow into a formidable weapon capable of one-hit kills, Bethesda decided to adopt that approach." How awesome is Beth!

There is a new article at MyMagazin about Skyrim's new graphical engine:

Bethesda unveils Skyrim's Creation engine

So we have an official name: Creation engine. Looking at the screenshot posted, I say the improvement is quite striking.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee116/MillaMerani/Misc/SkyrimShot.jpg

I just hope my recently upgraded computer will be able to handle it.

"New" is not right though - that article has been on GameInformer for a while now.. :P

I've added some things from the new Article about Combat from GameInformer, but still have some left to add. I recommend everyone to read the article, it was very informative! :)

@Fatalmasterpiece

Maybe a bit. Hey, it's on the same consoles as Oblivion. It can't be the same technology jump as between Morrowind and Oblivion or Daggerfall and Morrowind. But I'm glad. Oblivion was pretty enough for me and if Skyrim will look like this maybe I won't have to upgrade my PC.

You make a valid point. I wish though that they would learn to use limit poly count to create good models. It looks like they finally got faces and bodies right, after amatuer modders have been out doing them for years.

I remember the first time I installed some of Ren's hair in Morrowind. I think it was my first mod install and I almost took a crap in my chair. The models were so much better they made the standard ones look laughable, all without impacting performance. And this was from some random dude chillin in his house killing time.

I'm thinking my only major gripe with Skyrim is going to be weapon models and probably armor...

i was really hoping that the graphics on this game would give aoc graphics a run for there money but from what i see they wont even come close. looks like it will be a single core 32 bit design, to bad had my hopes up. how sweet it would be to have a game engine that used 2 or even 4 cores in a 64 bit setting, now that would set my heart pumping.

Based on the last screenshot in this thread, I'd say it's very close to AoC's Graphic. :)

And we also have people like Qarl, who may return to improve the graphics? :P

"New" is not right though - that article has been on GameInformer for a while now.. :P

I've added some things from the new Article about Combat from GameInformer, but still have some left to add. I recommend everyone to read the article, it was very informative! :)

I really should check the first post in this thread more often ;)

I'm not following the news releases about Skyrim very closely, I just spotted an article in a newsletter that referred to the site I linked in my previous post.

Nice collection of information in your topic opener, Zaldiir.