Skyrim Information

Zaldir

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they are removing the spellmaker ability due to some issues with their new magic system...it is very difficult to manage even two simple spells at time, try to imagine if they also had to support the spellmaking system which usually allow to create multiple effects spells...

I am not sure why we are complaining.

We have the power of the creation kit! :wub:

We can make dozens of new spells and other stuff!

And i think it's only for the best to remove it, since we would ruin our own experience by creating overpowered spells.

Let the developers do their part, and if we (PC players/ modders) won't be happy with something, we will change it.

Essentially New Vegas is Steam ONLY and so will this game, because you have to have Steam, or otherwhise no play. Personally I don't mind having it but it pisses me off that it runs in the backround. I build my own computers specificly so I don't have to have stupid, useless software bundles installed against my will and running in the backround, reducing performace. Steam is just one more annoying thing I have to had because someone is too butthurt by pirates. :pirate:

I don't see why activation through Steam prevents pirating of software. Someone tell me one (popular) game that has online activation (but no maintained connection required during gameplay) that has not been cracked by pirates. Since "activating" just unlocks some part of a code somewhere in your game installation or registry, it can be decrypted and then copied/duplicated.

There is no way to prevent pirating for PC's, unless gameplay itself requires data that is only stored on a server. Hence I agree with you that this Steam-activating is ineffective, useless, and thus stupid.

Edited by Maegfaer

Steam activation doesn't make it impossible to pirate a game, just like with any other activation, but it makes it more of a hassle to do so, both for the crackers and the users.

True... But the crackers actually enjoy a challenge, it's a hobby for them, so I don't think they mind. And I think pirates won't suddenly buy a 50$ game because the cracking process takes 10 minutes longer than usual. Though I guess a few noobish pirates might give up if they can't manage. The question is if that is worth burdening your customers with the hassle of activating as well. I personally don't think it is, but who am I?

True... But the crackers actually enjoy a challenge, it's a hobby for them, so I don't think they mind. And I think pirates won't suddenly buy a 50$ game because the cracking process takes 10 minutes longer than usual. Though I guess a few noobish pirates might give up if they can't manage. The question is if that is worth burdening your customers with the hassle of activating as well. I personally don't think it is, but who am I?

I would be the first one to sign a petition for elder scrolls 5 to have nothing to do with Steam. anyone who plays steam on a regular basis already knows steam is bi polar and a crappy system. i play it on modern warfare and i hate it. plus why would Howard want to limit the number of people who are willing to buy it when not everyone has internet connection or/and an internet cafe around their local area. This doesn't make sense, especially if their just worried about pirating...oblivion was an amazing success because it was for the most part simple to download and play.

Making it require steam doesn't actually limit the number of people who are willing to buy it by any much... There's a VERY low amount of PC players that doesn't have internet connection, and those usually have other ways to get internet for a short time.

I think at least Fallout: New Vegas is an example that it doesn't lower the amount..

And another positive thing for Bethesda by making it Steam-Required, is that they will get even more advertisement on Steam because of that.

Yes, it is a small downside for us consumers, but I think the positive effects for the Company weights up that (for them).

Making it require steam doesn't actually limit the number of people who are willing to buy it by any much... There's a VERY low amount of PC players that doesn't have internet connection, and those usually have other ways to get internet for a short time.

I think at least Fallout: New Vegas is an example that it doesn't lower the amount..

And another positive thing for Bethesda by making it Steam-Required, is that they will get even more advertisement on Steam because of that.

Yes, it is a small downside for us consumers, but I think the positive effects for the Company weights up that (for them).

well i haven't played fallout but i'm really into modern warfare 2. i mean it's not a big problem just registering it as long as you don't have to download it...that was another problem with modern warfare.. the download from the cd took like 5 minutes while downloading it off steam took 5 hours.. i hated that. because there was a glitch that sometimes forced people to download it from steam. etc.. i hope that doesn't happen with skyrim. i dont really mind just putting in the activation key and registering though.

p.s great job Zaldiir on the detailed information so far your site has been the most helpful that i've found online, and i'm really impressed with how you have everything set up. i will be tuning in here for the latest news and updates regarding skyrim and i know you won't let me down. this should be the 2nd place it hits after twitter i believe =) is there any way of contacting tod howard or anything else that makes this game? maybe i could pry them for more questions that have yet been answered. i know they're extremely busy and get too much fan mail questions etc as it is.

thanks again.