Weapons

bellyrump

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the Nords in the games not just a shorthand for real northerners of a particular era? The Bretons certainly seem to be French and the Imperials Romans as seen through a prism of fifties and sixties historic epics with the Romans played by British actors. Obviously for purposes of entertainment and balance the game peoples diverge from real world type but I think it is a valid point when suggesting ideas or desires for Skyrim.

Back to subject, I want spears! Javelins for thieves, boar hunting spears for stopping power and thrusting spears which would have an advantage against armour. I would also love to have hunting boar, bears and other nasty beasts to be a challenge, it is not for nothing that many celtic peoples chose the boar as a war symbol, it being regarded as the most fearsome beast in the forest by many.

Are the Nords in the games not just a shorthand for real northerners of a particular era?

There's a lot of northerners from a lot of era... People like to shout "viking" and act like it's a particular group of people who spoke the same language, had the same culture and came from the same place. While originating in Scandinavia these people settled and came from a wide range of places, had specific cultures and spoke variations of languages... They could be from Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Lithuania, Settled England, Scottland, Ireland, Iceland, Normandy, Russia and Greenland... So as I've likened it before, the Nords in TES are kinda like taking some dude, making his skin red and sticking a feather in his hair and saying he is a Native American from a particular era... when there were millions of Native Americans from thousands of tribes from many eras and places...

Are the Nords in the games not just a shorthand for real northerners of a particular era?

There's a lot of northerners from a lot of era... People like to shout "viking" and act like it's a particular group of people who spoke the same language, had the same culture and came from the same place. While originating in Scandinavia these people settled and came from a wide range of places, had specific cultures and spoke variations of languages... They could be from Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Lithuania, Settled England, Scottland, Ireland, Iceland, Normandy, Russia and Greenland... So as I've likened it before, the Nords in TES are kinda like taking some dude, making his skin red and sticking a feather in his hair and saying he is a Native American from a particular era... when there were millions of Native Americans from thousands of tribes from many eras and places...

i'm norwegian so i should know this: the vikings originaly came from norway, but as you said they settled everywhere so that'a why people think that englishmen where vikings and Russia? and even more hilarious is greenland, the vikings where the first people to inhabit greenland!

so a viking could very well be what they are pointing at! AND as for the era it would have to be pretty early because vikings evolved into just regular farmers after a while

Did not the vikings develop and exist out of the farmers, do their thing while circumstances allow and then just sink back into the populace once the surrounding societies had gained sufficient military cohesion to see them off?.

• 2 months later...

Did not the vikings develop and exist out of the farmers, do their thing while circumstances allow and then just sink back into the populace once the surrounding societies had gained sufficient military cohesion to see them off?.

No they did not, And the norwegian guy is partially right but vikings didn't come from Norway originally they came from the Whole northern continent known as Scandinavia which means Norway, Sweden and Finland. The vikings were also the first to discover Canada, they called it Vinland. Just something interesting.

... Even though we all know that the "good" vikings came from sweden...

No they did not, And the norwegian guy is partially right but vikings didn't come from Norway originally they came from the Whole northern continent known as Scandinavia which means Norway, Sweden and Finland. The vikings were also the first to discover Canada, they called it Vinland. Just something interesting.

Scandinavia is Norway, Sweden and Denmark... :P

But yes, you are right, Vikings came from the northern part, which is as you say, Norway, Sweden and Finland.

... Even though we all know that the "good" vikings came from sweden...

Weeell, Norway and Sweden were practically the same back then, so we cold probably argue about that all night long. :P

I would actually like to see more varieties of Mage Robes, but I don't like the idea of "mage armor" I'd rather use heavy armor.

Mage robes were rather lacking any real awesome. The most unique mage gear was actual UNIQUE mage gear lol. I'm not asking for a whole lot of tiers, just a bit more variety than different colored robes. And please don't do a Dragon Age, and make it look all retarded. Something along the lines of the order priests robes.

For weapons, I would like more unique appearing weapons instead of just enchanted loot. Oblivion had a fair amount, but a lot of them were quest items and/or useless.

Edited by Sketchy77

I would actually like to see more varieties of Mage Robes, but I don't like the idea of "mage armor" I'd rather use heavy armor.

Mage robes were rather lacking any real awesome. The most unique mage gear was actual UNIQUE mage gear lol. I'm not asking for a whole lot of tiers, just a bit more variety than different colored robes. And please don't do a Dragon Age, and make it look all retarded. Something along the lines of the order priests robes.

For weapons, I would like more unique appearing weapons instead of just enchanted loot. Oblivion had a fair amount, but a lot of them were quest items and/or useless.

I strongly agree with the part about the robes.The mages' robes in Oblivion were utter crap, they used the same model for 10 different robes.You go through the entire Mages Guild questline only to find out that all you get is a retextured Mages' Robe with no enchantments whatsoever.

I'm fine with anything they add as long as they stick true to the Swords/Bows/Magic/etc...and not turn into most games that add guns to the game, this is a game that very few has stuck to true to its gamestyle and I hope they don't change that now...Leave Guns to Fallout, and games like that...If they do that, I'll be the happiest man on the world :).

Sure, people might argue that "oh, this game is so, so years in the future from the old game...Why wouldn't there be technical advancements"?

Well, what I always have to say to that is...(just like Bethesda is doing/has done)...Is to make the elder scrolls series sticking to the swords/bows/magic/etc and make other games that are gun favored, and in the future...

I got a lot of yelling at me on the Guild Wars 2 Forums because I asked why they are adding guns to the new Guild wars (Yes, I know this isn't a GW2 forums, just using this as an example)...And they pretty much said this is a great thing for this game, and it's 250 years in the future, it would be stupid for the developers not to add guns...

I just don't see why even if the game is in the future why Guns are a required to be in game, just make new swords/bows/magic/armour/etc... just like all of you have said...

But to wrap this all up and stay on topic, I agree with what all of you said, as long as you don't mention guns or totally rediculous armour designs that have Giant Shoulder pad armour like on a lot of games...Or like some of you have said, Giant weapons. :D.

Edited by TodaysKiller