A (hopefully) quick question

Orly737

I really would like to get into modding so I downloaded the Construction Set, blender and other tools. I figured that I'd first start off with changing some NPCs races, as I figured it would be a good place to start. Well I'm having some trouble with it using the TES CS. I'm trying to change the race of Seiwyn from Glenvar castle to Kawa-Khajiit just to practice. However, when I do it in TES CS, save it and load my savegame she's still there in all her Imperial glory.

I've tried changing the load order and looking on Google but there doesn't seem to be much about how to change races on NPCs. It's probably something stupid that I'm not doing, like using the wrong active file or some such (currently its Glenvar_castle. esp).

Any help would be appreciated.

Changing an NPC in Glenvar Castle to a race that is separate from both Oblivion.esm and Glenvar_Castle.esp will not work, since Kawa-Khajiit are in neither. You would need to include the Kawa-Khajiit esp esmified to a master, so that the save is aware of the new race. Also, you might need to Bash your list for your saved game to be aware of the changes.

Open your CS and load Kawa-Khajiit and Glenvar castle.

Make Glenvar castle the active file.

Now combine the 2 esp:

TES CS Menu: File-Tools-Combine Loaded Plugins

Type a new name, like Glenvar castleNEW.

Close the cs, reopen it with your new Glenvar castleNEW.esp

Now you can make your changes, because all the necessary files are in your new esp.

Tip: If you change a race from human to beast, you have also to change the skeleton from human to beast.

Hmm didn't work, stroti. Would changing oblivion.esm to .esp merging it and then resaving it as an .esm work?

Out of curiosity I tried to change one of the characters to a Dark Elf but that didn't work either. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

OK, i have it further validated.

I have made a savegame, face to face with an NPC (Nord).

Then i have changed the race from nord to ork.

After reloading the savegame, the npc now is a ork.

No problem with changing a race.

Have you done, what i have written?

If yes, you must deactivate Glenvar castle and your new (combine) mod activate.

I am sorry, thats all what i can say at the moment about this problem.

Important: Never ever! modify the oblivion.esm.

Got it! There was an OMOD interfering with my new .esp. Re-installed without it and now it works fine. Had to do the quest over again but it was much easier the second time around. Now I just make characters similar to how you make new CM NPCs and it works great.