Drugs - What do you think is acceptable, where is the line?

DrunkenGamer

To you, that is.

I'm just curious as to what other people think on the subject of drug abuse, illegal drugs, prescription abuse, etc. In a country such as America that almost seems to glamourize drug dealing and use, I think it's important that everybody has an educated opinion on it. Where do we draw the line for drugs, for example? What constitutes an illegal drug?

Marijuana is brought up a lot in these discussions, so let me start off by asking what it is to you, how you think it should be taken care of, and why it should be illegal or legal. There is fierce debate going on everywhere about the legalization of marijuana, the pro-weed people generally citing facts about marijuana being non-lethal in moderation, not as detrimental as tobacco, and also used in medicine. The anti-weed people are generally citing facts about the harm it can cause, actions under intoxication and the like. You know, overdose.

Personally, I'm kind of on the fence about this whole debate. I'm sure that some sort of extra revenue can be earned by the government by trying to tax it, but I just know in the back of my mind that people will go bat**** over it, saying that it's unconstitutional, preying on marijuana addicts, etc. I'm just kind of perplexed at people saying that it has health benefits, seeing as how limited use of tobacco, alcohol, and even narcotics are used in medicine to treat a variety of symptoms.

What do you think?

Thinking about it, I'd also like to say right here and now, that I've experimented with drugs myself. I once gave into peer pressure and did some weed several months ago, but I haven't tried it again. I experiment with percocet and vicodin lying around the house, and I feel terrible about it because it's my mother's prescription (she doesn't need them, really). I've never used any of the more serious stuff, like cocain and heroin, but I've entertained thoughts about it. I'm in a lot of stress as of late, what with wrestling season and personal problems, so this type of thinking is generally easier.

Do I get in trouble for saying these things?

Edited by DrunkenGamer

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To you, that is.

I'm just curious as to what other people think on the subject of drug abuse, illegal drugs, prescription abuse, etc. In a country such as America that almost seems to glamourize drug dealing and use, I think it's important that everybody has an educated opinion on it. Where do we draw the line for drugs, for example? What constitutes an illegal drug?

Marijuana is brought up a lot in these discussions, so let me start off by asking what it is to you, how you think it should be taken care of, and why it should be illegal or legal. There is fierce debate going on everywhere about the legalization of marijuana, the pro-weed people generally citing facts about marijuana being non-lethal in moderation, not as detrimental as tobacco, and also used in medicine. The anti-weed people are generally citing facts about the harm it can cause, actions under intoxication and the like. You know, overdose.

Personally, I'm kind of on the fence about this whole debate. I'm sure that some sort of extra revenue can be earned by the government by trying to tax it, but I just know in the back of my mind that people will go bat**** over it, saying that it's unconstitutional, preying on marijuana addicts, etc. I'm just kind of perplexed at people saying that it has health benefits, seeing as how limited use of tobacco, alcohol, and even narcotics are used in medicine to treat a variety of symptoms.

What do you think?

Thinking about it, I'd also like to say right here and now, that I've experimented with drugs myself. I once gave into peer pressure and did some weed several months ago, but I haven't tried it again. I experiment with percocet and vicodin lying around the house, and I feel terrible about it because it's my mother's prescription (she doesn't need them, really). I've never used any of the more serious stuff, like cocain and heroin, but I've entertained thoughts about it. I'm in a lot of stress as of late, what with wrestling season and personal problems, so this type of thinking is generally easier.

Do I get in trouble for saying these things?

As long as the drugs don't effect anyone else go ahead...

If we want to keep drugs illegal we should also make one of the most dangerous drugs illegal, alcohol.

In the US, it really goes down to if you want someone to have a choice to maybe kill themselves, or have drug cartels kidnapping and cutting your head off.

I believe that the line between right and wrong where drugs are concerned lies exactly where one person's rights stop and another's begin.

If a man's drug addiction results in his ruining his entire family, then he should be held accountable. If his second-hand smoke results in another person getting sick, he should be held accountable.

If his habit affects nobody but him- if he steals from nobody, attacks nobody, kills nobody to support his addiction- then what he does to his own body is nobody's business but his own. Prosecuting drug users for possession and use is counterproductive, futile, and a violation of any free person's right to do with their body as they wish. Prisons in the US are stuffed full of non-violent offenders who were simply caught with a little bag of pot, or crack, or whatever- and the time and taxpayer money spent on prosecuting them is time and money not spent going after murderers, rapists, and thieves.

The crimes out-of-control addicts commit to support their addictions are exactly what they are- crimes. If someone steps over the line, they are already prosecuted for that violation. It doesn't become more illegal because drugs were involved.

It seems the OP is quite under informed...

Weed is NOT addictive in any way.

NO ONE have ever overdosed on weed.

Weed has NEVER killed a single person and IS less harmful to your health than cigarettes.

Weed can be beneficial in many ways to stimulate creativity, help people relax, stimulate the apatite, sleep aid and pain reducer, while being a totally organic alternative to over the counter remedies for all of these things.

ALMOST ANYTHING can be made from hemp, which would reduce our dependency on fossil fuels and logging (for paper products) to nearly zero.

Weed in Amsterdam isn't quite "legal" BUT, authorities don't arrest people for having it.

It IS available for purchase from many "coffee houses" so people don't have to go to a "dealer" to get it, and therefore are not exposed to other drugs that dealer may be pushing, reducing weed's "gateway" stigma.

This has resulted in a reduction of all types of crime in The Netherlands.

The U.S. government's "war on drugs" has cost the American tax-payers TRILLIONS of dollars and has had absolutely NO affect on the consumption of marijuana in this country.

This just scratches the surface of what most people DON'T know about weed, if you want more trivia about it I could go on and on...

Edited by heavywaters

Prohibition doesn't work, where there is a demand there will always be someone willing supply. I think what people put into their bodies is their own business, that said they're also responsible for the consequences of their actions, if they start harming others then the law should come down on them. The Dutch have the right idea, shame idiot governments elsewhere can't see that.

Problem with allowing only marijuana is after it becomes boring and you want more powerful drugs. You find a dealer who you purchase a more powerful drug and now you can be killed by the new more powerful drug that you are now addicted to. Simple as that.

Problem with allowing only marijuana is after it becomes boring and you want more powerful drugs. You find a dealer who you purchase a more powerful drug and now you can be killed by the new more powerful drug that you are now addicted to. Simple as that.

I went out a bought a computer, I always wanted a more powerful computer for no reason and ended up going bankrupt.

That's not how it works, even if it was its your own choice to do drugs.

Weed IS NOT a gateway drug, if it was how could there be more people who do weed then any other illegal drug combined?

I can see there is neither logic nor experience backing up this statement.

Not all people crave the newer, bigger, stronger things out there...

I have done every drug there is to do (with the exception of Heroin), and have turned my back on all of them (including alcohol).

The only "drug" I continue to enjoy to this day is Cannabis, and I'm satisfied with where I am.

Simple as that!

Right, we may be harping a bit too much on the weed here, but I'd like to contribute anyway. :tongue:

In my experience, the dangers concerning weed are usually not at all connected to the substance itself, but rather the person using it or those around her. For instance, the gateway-arguement. It seems to be reguarded as common knowledge that everyone who even sets eye on cannabis at one point will utterly devolve into massive heroin-abuse. Which is rather silly.

That's not to say that it can't happen. But the one isn't a natural expansion of the other. I hate myself for using this term, but self-discipline is the key. It's entirely possible to use weed and only weed, it doesn't automaticly launch you into real drugs.

Anyway, the dangers with weed, I think, are these; doing something dangerous while under influence and ending up in bad company. The first seems more widespread, but hey, it's certainly not limited to weed alone. As the death tolls keep telling us, year after year, people delude themselves into thinking they can drive just as good as usual despite having been drinking, or smoking for that matter. However, it's entirely possible to avoid doing stupid things that could get you or others killed, be it alcohol or THC affecting your brain.

The second is sort of intertwined with the gateway-arguement. If you can get weed into your possession, then chances are you have access to other substances. That are dangerous for real. You could also simply end up with petty criminals or other characters you shouldn't spend time with. For once, the massive US anti-drug campaign actually have a point; say no. Easy as that.

At the end of the day, weed in itself are quite harmless. All the possible dangers hinges on your own responsibility. It's up to you to avoid the real drugs and it's up to you not getting yourself or someone else killed while under the influence. Quite simple, really.