Are people optimistic about the West/US/Europe?

SpellAndShield

How the US maintains its military

Through borrowing ,Oil bourses ,Most oil in world is sold in US dollars ,est value to US economy 2 - 3 trillion ,depending on the price of oil .60+ % of all foreign currency reserves are held in US dollars est value to US economy 1.1 -1.2 trillion.

This is what maintains US hegemony in the world ,take that away and the US economy deflates by at least 4 trillion dollars and along with it would go your military expenditures.That's why your military is all over the world to prevent anyone from trading oil in anything other that US dollars ,which forces them to maintain a foreign currency reserve held in US dollars ,but that's beginning to change Nation's are beginning to divest themselves of their US dollars and oil bourses that sell oil in non US dollars are beginning to be created.Iraq was the first in 2000 ,taken out in 2003 oil bourse converted back to US dollars .Iran in 2007 which the US will have to attack in the next few years.

So no I don't have much optimism ,because I know the only way the US can stop what's happening is to go to war with more and more nations ,because if they don't they will cease to be a superpower.

Edited by Harbringe

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see all these people pointing out what they see as problems and becoming all depressed about it. What I'm NOT seeing is people figuring out solutions and trying to do something about it. Instead of being pessimistic, it's more constructive to work on improving the situation, otherwise you just become passive. Passive people cannot change anything.

I see all these people pointing out what they see as problems and becoming all depressed about it. What I'm NOT seeing is people figuring out solutions and trying to do something about it. Instead of being pessimistic, it's more constructive to work on improving the situation, otherwise you just become passive. Passive people cannot change anything.

I agree with you sort of, but being too optimistic is about 500 times worse then being pessimistic.

The starting step to fixing a problem, is to recognize something is a problem.

That being said, if this was a debate topic called "How the **** do we fix the world" then I would go through my ideas, this is more of a topic about what the issues are though and not how to solve them.

Pessimism, as anyone can imagine, can be self fulfilling.

The economy will never improve = never invest or if you do then do it in Poland, Rumania, China or Vietnam.

Crime can never be contained = buy a gun, knife or bat and wait to add to the statistics.

Civil society is becoming ugly and confrontational, our representatives in governance and law are slimey and self serving = let them continue.

'The West' is the best possible place to live even with all current problems. Most of those problems are possible to solve, we need to participate and not let the tired, unimaginative and self serving have the only input into society's perception of itself.

Edited by happy pig

It's not pessimism that is the problem but passivity. A person can be optimistic or dread a coming event but still work on active solutions.

Yes, the first step is recognizing the problem, but most of the people that I've met just stop there. Action is what is needed in order to change anything other than the TV screen (almost anyways). And by action I don't mean revolution. Those tend to make things worse of history is any indicator. What I'm talking about is a change in social and political thinking. This kind of change is more subtle and takes longer than a revolution would but unlike a revolution it does not try to replace the entire system within a few years which cause instability.

Figure out your what your objectives are and the best ways to achieve it without being redundent. Learning how to defend your viewpoint against any challenges as well as actually living by what you espouse are also great ways to help spread ideas. Finding other like-minded people is also a good way to spread ideas and gain exposure even more. Learn to be critical but constructive. That means not only only criticizing opposing viewpoints but also explaining why and offering alternatives (preferably your alternatives). Finally also learn to accept if you are wrong or if there is a better idea out there. People change, mature, and evolve as they grow older and their ideologies are bound to mutate as well. The point is to improve things for the better in the long wrong, not oppose others just because you don't like being refuted or you like to hear yourself talk.

Ona final note, a thread for "How to change the world" would just be pointless. If you can't improve your own immediate surroundings, then what hope do you have of changing people you don't even really know exist except in print or on a screen?

Ona final note, a thread for "How to change the world" would just be pointless. If you can't improve your own immediate surroundings, then what hope do you have of changing people you don't even really know exist except in print or on a screen?

Well, that's up to them to decide....

Ron Paul can not be more right on foreign policy, and I would vote for him any day over Obama... But the thing is Ron Paul also doesn't realize the major threat of corporate power.

Oh I wouldn't be too sure about that , he is very much against corporate lobbyist and he wants to end the Federal Reserve and restore the powers it has stolen from Congress back to Congress .That would be the biggest blow to Corporate power possible.