How to Load Saved Games?

mondotomhead

I need help loading a saved game. I go to my characture (sp?) and find the file and click on it. My computer asked what I want to use to open the file. What does this mean? It shows me zipfile, documents, notepad, etc. things I wouldn't think would open a file. It askes if I want to look on the web and when I click on that option it is even more confusing. What do you guys use to open a saved file?

thanks in advance,

noob computer person - jeannie

I need help loading a saved game. I go to my characture (sp?) and find the file and click on it. My computer asked what I want to use to open the file. What does this mean? It shows me zipfile, documents, notepad, etc. things I wouldn't think would open a file. It askes if I want to look on the web and when I click on that option it is even more confusing. What do you guys use to open a saved file?

thanks in advance,

noob computer person - jeannie

Welcome, mondotomhead!

Not sure what you're asking here. Do you need help figuring out how to load a saved game while you are "in-game", so that you can continue playing from where you stopped? Or are you asking how to open a ".das" file with the Toolset in order to see or change some of the entries?

Glad to try to help, but want to be providing the appropriate information...

This is not an in-game save. This file I find in bioware/dragonage/characture folders. When I click on this folder it lists all the separate folders for each char I've played. (Yikes, I've played a lot!!) I click on the "Shania" folder which is the last one I played. This folder lists all the saved games from that particular game. I want to download and play my last save of this "Shania" game which is her Royal Wedding. (and if you don't know about this fantastic mod for Allistair let me know).

The computer then asks what I want to use to open this folder showing a box listing winzip, documents, etc. I can't remember the exact wording. I'm pretty sure it is as DAS file and there is also a separate DAS.MET folder which wouldn't open up either without me directing it so something that would open it..

If this isn't specific enough I can reply later when I get home from work and get the exact wording. Sorry if this is so vague.

The files you're talking about, the ".das" files, (which stands for "Dragon Age Save") are essentially specially formatted data files than contain nothing but entries for Dragon Age games variables (location, level, inventory, etc., etc.) and pointers to other files that the game uses (character models, currently equipped items, etc.)

There are only two programs that use a ".das". The first is "daorigins.exe" (the actual game). The other is the "DA Toolset". And neither can "open" a ".das" directly. You have to start them, then point them to the ".das" that you want. In the Toolset, that's "File - Open". For the game... Well, you know! :laugh:

So I would need to install the DA toolset? I looked at that on Nexus and it was scary confusing. I am really a noob when it comes to understanding some computer things. I needed a tutorial on youtube to show me how to add "more hairstyles" - ha!

I'll look again tonight when I get home. I do understand that I can't just open the file I want. I need to start the toolset first then go to my file.

Thanks, Thandal!

ps Do you know about Allistair's Royal Wedding mod?

I don't understand what are you trying to do...

You "open" a saved game file by starting the game itself, and choosing which save (which ".das") to load. Besides using it in the Toolset, that's the only thing you can do with a ".das" file.

Unless you WANT to use the Toolset to do some serious editing of an existing save (or to examine one for specific entries to use elsewhere) there is NO REASON TO GET IT. It's not made for the player, only the modder. And it's very difficult to use even when you get it installed (which isn't easy either.)

You can't click on a savegame file to start up the game (I know some games & applications allow you to do so - Dragon Age does not).

To play through your savegame, you need to start Dragon Age first, then choose the savegame manually.

The Load Game function within Dragon Age allows you to switch between characters, so you can pick up any playthrough at any point quite easily.

If I've misinterpreted you wrong, then (like Thandal) I'm confused... :confused:

Edited by Sync182

I want to download and play my last save of this "Shania" game which is her Royal Wedding.

From what I understand, your saved game is already on your computer, you just want to select it to play with a new mod installed. If that is correct, this is what you need to do to find your character save:

1. Start up the game, go to the in-game main menu

2. Select "Load Game" from the main menu options

3. Click the "Switch Character" button at the bottom of the left side list of saves

4. Double click "Shania" from the list of characters that load up (or click it once, and then click the "Select" button on the right side of the interface, underneath the screenshot)

5. Select the saved game that you want to load