Will you be buying a new rig for skyrim

Dianadoesitbest

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so by logic that rules Directx 14 and Tetra Core as requirements

Huh? Did you mean to say "that rules out"?

I will probably buy it for console first , and if its good I will buy it for PC as well after checking to see if my pc will run it.

Oh...one of "those" people. :laugh: Bethesda LOVES you. :wub:

Sorry, I had to let that bit of sarcasm out.

Sorry you feel that way but I really enjoyed Oblivion straight out of the box. The ability to mod the TES games and the thousands of mods available to make it how you want to play it spoke to me...and why I still have Oblivion installed years after being released...well, that and this fine community I've grown to be part of.

(** Gets up on table and starts addressing the public like a crazy man **)

Even if Skyrim doesn't go into great depth with the gameplay such as a small amount of quests, main storyline and whatnot, as long as they provide a platform that modders can build the depth into it, I would love to have a technological platform that has a wide assortment of features. Give us a platform that supports a wide assortment of weapon types but build a few of each in the game and the modding community will fill the void with a vast amount of weapons for each type. Give us a platform where we can design our own trees and you will see mods churn out that create vast expanses of varied plant life. I think you get the idea.

Bethesda cannot afford to run their business like it is run from their mom's garage. There are too many people employed there that depend on salary and benefits from year to year. They have to have a plan and stick to it. When making a game, program or just about anything, you have to look at 3 factors: Quality of the product, speed in which it is completed and amount of money spent doing the project...or simply put: Quality / Time / Money. As a manager, you can only pick 2...never all 3. If you want a quality product and you want to crank it out fast, it is going to cost a lot of money. If you want a quality product but not spend a lot of money on it, it is going to take a long time (sometimes that still equates to lost money).

From what I've seen, the quality sometimes has the corners cut that are in a lot of areas where modders can pick up the ball and improve...this means they get the product out the door faster but allow time for modders to increase the value by providing more and sometimes better quality content...all for free...other than what was invested in making the SDK's available. The base game is just as worthy of paying and playing as any other game out there but the added benefit of KNOWING in a year or two's time, content will have been made that makes the game more appealing than most others in the market. Just look at Oblivion for example. You can spend just a few dollars now to get the GOTY edition and then spend hours downloading tons of mods that make the game more enjoyable for you. It's almost like buying the frame for a car, then taking it down the road to an aftermarket shop where everything is free and you can turn it into a Trans AM, Dodge Viper, Lamborghini, Monster Truck, Tactical SWAT vehicle or whatever. Yes, the vehicle still rolls down the road and the controls are the same but it is a very different experience depending on how you build it.

Bethesda doesn't just create games...they create a platform for people to make their own games and foster this community by providing an SDK, wiki documentation site and forums for us to use. How long has it been since Morrowind was released? They still have an entire section on their forums dedicated for Morrowind. (** knocking on wood hoping I didn't just jinx something **)

Dang, now I sound like a fanboi. hmmm...should I delete or hit submit...decisions, decisions, decisions. Ah, what do I care, I call it how I see it. Fanboi or not.

(** / Gets off the table, hops and skips away while whistling Skyrim trailer song **)

LHammonds

Sorry you feel that way but I really enjoyed Oblivion straight out of the box. The ability to mod the TES games and the thousands of mods available to make it how you want to play it spoke to me...and why I still have Oblivion installed years after being released...well, that and this fine community I've grown to be part of.

LHammonds

I'm in total agreement on the moddability aspect; it's why I hang around here. My point was merely that Morrowind was just as moddable and gave us an enjoyable gameplaying and modding experience (and still does for many) without requiring quad-threaded processors or stacks of RAM sticks because of graphics details that are somewhat superfluous where gameplay and moddability are concerned. I'm not trying to say that I hope Skyrim looks like crap; I'm just saying that I hope that the developers take into consideration that a large portion of their fan base may not own high-end rigs or be able to afford expensive upgrades and will give us a finished product that's a comfortable balance between graphics and gameplay.

I'm not trying to say that I hope Skyrim looks like crap; I'm just saying that I hope that the developers take into consideration that a large portion of their fan base may not own high-end rigs or be able to afford expensive upgrades and will give us a finished product that's a comfortable balance between graphics and gameplay.

I hear ya. There are many features that "could" have gone into Oblivion but didn't and I think the main reason was performance so I think they do take this into consideration. Then again, I wasn't there in the board meetings...it could have been due to implementation costs or timeframes for all I know.

LHammonds

LHammonds

I'm in total agreement on the moddability aspect; it's why I hang around here. My point was merely that Morrowind was just as moddable and gave us an enjoyable gameplaying and modding experience (and still does for many) without requiring quad-threaded processors or stacks of RAM sticks because of graphics details that are somewhat superfluous where gameplay and moddability are concerned. I'm not trying to say that I hope Skyrim looks like crap; I'm just saying that I hope that the developers take into consideration that a large portion of their fan base may not own high-end rigs or be able to afford expensive upgrades and will give us a finished product that's a comfortable balance between graphics and gameplay.

I have to disagree in some capacity. Bare in mind, I love old games. I still play the King's quest series, Baldur's gate and Ice wind Dale, Many of my favorite games were created in the 90s. BUT... If I wasn't concerned about graphics or visual artistic ability (which is expanded by more advancement in graphics) then I would still be playing Morrowind or Neverwinter Knights 1.

I am a table top RPer, so if all I care about is good story, creativity and open endedness, I can just go play DnD with some of my friends. Sometimes I want to SEE my character and get some eyecandy. I like to have some visual stimulation to help with my experience.

There is no reason you couldn't create your own Skyrim based adventure game with just as much detail and depth as TES V Skyrim will (hopefully) have within the Morrowind construction set and post it up online. But it's not just about that. I'ts about new possibilities, more possibilities, possibilities that require more complex data and graphics processing. Those leaves blowing in the wind you scoff at? I view it as a step further into more believably immersing myself into a world where anything is possible.

I'm not saying it's all about having the next TES be that much more graphicly superior to Oblivion, but if it's not, I might as well just play Oblivion, a game for which there are already almost endless quality mods and content for.

Fatalmasterpiece:

It's funny that you mention NWN because I just recently started playing that one for the first time and love it. I'm also a PnP D&D veteran and perhaps my vivid imagination makes me less demanding when it comes to the graphic environments created in video games. All I really require from a game in that regard is that it's three-dimensional, as one might guess from my signature. I still enjoy playing the original Doom, and it's low-res pseudo-3D.

My leaf-scoffing is due mainly to the fact that after purchasing Oblivion I had to wait almost five years before I was able to afford a rig that was capable of running the game at a decent fps at a resolution above 800x600. Sure, it's not the fault of the game developers that I'm not wealthy, but I don't want to have to wait another five years before I'll be able to play Skyrim. For once in my life I'd like to be able to play a new game while it's still popular with all the other kids too. All my current favorite games the majority of the rest of the world has already moved past, and sometimes it's a bit disheartening and lonely.

Nope. Already have one I built over a year ago that should be more than capable of handling whatever they throw at it.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee11/Conan_Lon/IntelCorei7960_WindowsExperienceIndex.png

I only got a 6.5 on my custom job, skimped on RAM a little, "only" 8GB, but everything else 6.8+. Do you think my rig can take it O magic tech man?

I only got a 6.5 on my custom job, skimped on RAM a little, "only" 8GB, but everything else 6.8+. Do you think my rig can take it O magic tech man?

So your PC measures out 6.8 on everything except RAM which is 6.5? It seems like a decent enough rig to handle Oblivion and Fallout. ** shakes magic 8-ball ** Answer reads: If your PC can run Oblivion/Fallout at max settings just fine, should be OK to run Skyrim. Nobody knows that the "max" settings will require yet...probably not even Bethesda.