Will you be buying a new rig for skyrim

Dianadoesitbest

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What program is that you're using to rate the system?

If I find that my computer won't run Skyrim, I'll probably just take my usual route and upgrade it bit by bit until it does work.

It is part of windows 7, comes up on system properties. It gives the over all score as the lowest asset. But it is a little flawed, to get above the 5.9 on hdd it must be solid state.....I needed a little more storage so I am using a pair of 1.5tb wd caviar black in a raid 0, for faster speed of data retrieval in game.

Have a pair of 5870's in xfire, and 12 gigs of ram coupled with a 920 quad core. This rig is under a year old and was maxed out pretty much from Alienware when I had it built, stayed within my budget for a tower of 3500.00 and am quite pleased with how it does run games.

May upgrade it later this year, but I don't see a great need as it should meet my needs for a few years yet. May by a new case and psu from alienware just for additional drive space ;and transfer everything over to an area 51 alx case when I retire next year or may just order a new one as I have not decided yet.

Micky

That's about $2500 more than you needed to pay.

Edited by Dianadoesitbest

I'll be building a Sandy Bridge computer on a $1500 budget. My current best rig which I spent $550 on runs on a q8300 processor with a 5770 graphics card. It runs StarCraft II on ultra settings with a steady 30fps. However, I would really like to play Skyrim in all its massive glory. Edited by roninmedia

What program is that you're using to rate the system?

If I find that my computer won't run Skyrim, I'll probably just take my usual route and upgrade it bit by bit until it does work.

It is part of windows 7, comes up on system properties. It gives the over all score as the lowest asset. But it is a little flawed, to get above the 5.9 on hdd it must be solid state.....I needed a little more storage so I am using a pair of 1.5tb wd caviar black in a raid 0, for faster speed of data retrieval in game.

Have a pair of 5870's in xfire, and 12 gigs of ram coupled with a 920 quad core. This rig is under a year old and was maxed out pretty much from Alienware when I had it built, stayed within my budget for a tower of 3500.00 and am quite pleased with how it does run games.

May upgrade it later this year, but I don't see a great need as it should meet my needs for a few years yet. May by a new case and psu from alienware just for additional drive space ;and transfer everything over to an area 51 alx case when I retire next year or may just order a new one as I have not decided yet.

Micky

That's about $2500 more than you needed to pay.

See "Alienware" ^ :teehee:

My PC has purdy lights, isn't loud, a ton of cathair to make it run faster (it's the truth honest! Friction babeh) and it'll run Skyrim...

I won't freak out...if all else fails, theres a low settings button.

But, I pray to the PC goodness that I won't have to use it haha!

I just hope the grass isn't purple. I dunno why but purple and orange grass bothers me. You think we'll be able to turn off things like grass n whatnots like we did with Oblivion?

Yes, hopefully next month, after 05.02.2011. I already saved up most of the money(about 85%). I have already built the setup I want, wich can be upgraded if needed. I bought my last PC after Oblivion was released and only becouse I wanted to play Oblivion. Same thing now. I think that Bethesda makes many companies that sell PC components happy and with the economic crisis, even more so!

Nah, I'll just get some more RAM and trade in my GTS250 for something a bit more powerful. My current rig should be able to play it, but if I can get the graphics up just that little bit up more, I'll be happy.

Then again, Gamebryo was known to make systems suffer at release, perhaps the new engine will be better optimized and I won't even need to upgrade.

• 1 month later...

Ooh! Look at how the leaves rustle in that tree! That's sure to make the gameplay so much more enjoyable...

Sorry, I had to let that bit of sarcasm out.

I'm just still keeping my fingers crossed that this time around Bethesda won't be so caught up in the current trend of game developers to base their products on flashy fps-killing eye-candy covering a mediocre game. Personally, I'd be satisfied with the graphics from Morrowind as long as they give me epic quests and expansive lands and dungeons to explore. I really don't need every detail of the surrounding landscape reflected in high-def ripples in the puddle at my feet to enjoy a game and firmly believe that rendering swaying blades of grass has nothing at all to do with the quality of the game itself. Pretty high-res landscapes do not equal a great game.

But I also know all too well that it's a business intent upon turning a profit, so I think it's a safe bet that everything in Skyrim will be surrounded by that glowy HDR aura that's supposed to be so realistic despite the fact that to this day I've never seen anything in real life glow like that...

I don't fully agree with you. Too extensive details are certainly not needed as during combat or travel you won't notice them anyway, but some nice graphical enhancements can really increase the experience of the game. That rules out Morrowind engine. :P I often find myself just wandering Oblivion locations and watching the environment. Exploration is fun and is even better if you have something to look on.

But this is of course a second to the actual game play. No point in super graphics if the game is just boring. :)

So far screenshots of Skyrim look awesome and I bet other locations will be awesome as well.

I don't think I'll buy a new rig, but I will upgrade the one I have.

Currently have:

Vista 64

AMD Phenom 9650 Quad Core 2.3G

8GB DDR2

Sapphire HD5770 Vapor X

Will have:

Windows 7

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Thuban 3.3GHz (at least)

SAPPHIRE Toxic 100314TXSR Radeon HD 6870

Not sure about RAM yet. I would like to upgrade to 16GB but due to the motherboard it would have to be DDR2. I'll probably be better off getting a new motherboard to use DDR3, but I don't know which one would be best to get.

If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

I don't think I'll buy a new rig, but I will upgrade the one I have.

Currently have:

Vista 64

AMD Phenom 9650 Quad Core 2.3G

8GB DDR2

Sapphire HD5770 Vapor X

Will have:

Windows 7

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Thuban 3.3GHz (at least)

SAPPHIRE Toxic 100314TXSR Radeon HD 6870

Not sure about RAM yet. I would like to upgrade to 16GB but due to the motherboard it would have to be DDR2. I'll probably be better off getting a new motherboard to use DDR3, but I don't know which one would be best to get.

If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Don't get a hexcore, nothing utilizes the fifth and sixth.